PDA

View Full Version : "i don't like it at your house"

buzzy bee
14-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I have been told this twice this week by 2 separate 4 year olds. One was during the day and the other was when mum was there at pick up time.

Is this quite normal?

They always seem happy in the day.

I can't help feeling like crying!

miffy
14-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Oh bless you - don't take it personally just think when it was said - was it because they weren't getting their own way?

For the one that said it in front of mum that's probably to get at mum for going out to work and nothing to do with you at all.

Not nice to hear though I know but you have said yourself they are happy enough during the day with you.

Hugs

Miffy xx

wee_elf
14-05-2014, 09:06 PM
This used to happen at pre-school, children happy all day and then would say this when parents pick up. Sometimes I think they may have overheard a parent say something or are picking up on the anxiety from the parent and are looking for attention? Could you maybe try asking them at the end of the session what they have enjoyed that day, to get them reflecting on the positives :)

buzzy bee
15-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I just hope the parents don't read too much into things they say because I agree (and hope) some is just said for attention.

I'm quite firm - I hope they don't take this as me being mean!

bunyip
16-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Poor you. :(

:group hug:

I know this can be upsetting: I've heard it from a fair proportion of mindees. Try not to take it to heart. As suggested, there can be any number of reasons for them saying it or feeling that way, and it may well be absolutely nothing to do with what you do.

I've even had 2 parents come out and tell their lo's just what I suspected. ie. "you're only saying you don't like it here cos Bunyip doesn't let you get away with murder like you do at home/grandparents/previous setting/etc."

That's just the ones that say it. I'm willing to bet there are other parents who think it but don't say it, and still more who don't even realise it's the truth of the matter. :rolleyes:

tulip0803
16-05-2014, 07:14 AM
I agree with the others - don't take it to heart.

Also Many times I have had children eat 3/4 of their dinner and then say I don't like it - young children confuse like with want. They may have been ready to go home.

I have a 4 year old that sometimes screams on collection that she doesn't want to go here (as soon as she is out the door she is as happy as larry!) but then she also screams at drop off that she doesn't want to go home and wants to live with me :rolleyes:

tess1981
16-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I have a lo scream on arrival when I close the door I say do u need a hug she cries yes puts head down for a cuddle then runs on lol gives me a kiss at home time. It's the hand over children seem to think ah now I'm going to play up for the craic... I used to have a lo who didn't want to go home. He stopped coming years ago but still tortures his mum to take him to mine she pops in every now and then and I go visit him :)

Hatchlings
17-05-2014, 10:27 PM
I have been told this twice this week by 2 separate 4 year olds. One was during the day and the other was when mum was there at pick up time.

Is this quite normal?

They always seem happy in the day.

I can't help feeling like crying!

I have had a lad for 2 years now & at the start he said it every night mum collected him sometimes She would say why & he would reply because i think you dont want me or some thing like that. We soon learned it was he though mum would stop work again & he would be with her now he arrives & normally i have remind him to say bye to mum or even to go home some days we get cant i stay here its more fun than home so now i feel sorry for mum, It will get better stay strong they dont mean it they just want parents to feel bad. :thumbsup::thumbsup: