PDA

View Full Version : What catches your eye?

amylouise867
14-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Hell all,

I know you're all busy busy but I would really appreciate a couple of minutes of your time.

I have some questions where your feedback will be very useful to a project I am currently doing.

If you only have time to answer one - that's great!

- Where do you seek inspiration for your setting? Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have?

- Do you steer away from certain activities in your setting? If so why?

-What activities are preferred in your setting?

- Do you vary the choices available to your children or do you tend to stick to the same activities and toys?

- Apart from this forum do you seek advise with regards to planning from anywhere else?

- Do you find the Early Years framework and planning daunting?

- When visiting a website - what holds your attention? What sort of content draws you in and inspires you?

- When you find a site you like do you add it to your favourites? Pin it? Like it? Share it? What do you do?

Thanks in advance everyone :)
Amy

clareelizabeth1
14-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Where do you seek inspiration for your setting? Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have?

Pintrest and any sort of mag that drops though the door. I have a stage in my room because cosy direct came through the door but I did build it my self. Pictures on here as well

I don't like playing mummy's and daddy's can't stand it I spend all day being a mummy I don't want to pretend to. I would much rather be a doctor or pirate.

Love messy play and being outdoors have a decking off the playroom and if the garden gate is shut you can bet the children will be playing on the decking

Do you vary the choices available to your children or do you tend to stick to the same activities and toys?

Cars are out all the time as I have two very obsessed boys right now. Everything else is varied and gets swopped always like to change the heights toys are at as it seems to get them intrested in new things

- Apart from this forum do you seek advise with regards to planning from anywhere else?

No my do is useless and never has time

I worked in a nursery before starting childminding and found I became fluent in it fairly quick as I was doing so many different childrens. Now I only have 1 on role as slowly returning from mat leave so it's quite easy

When visiting a website - what holds your attention?

Bright pictures of activities

What sort of content draws you in and inspires you?

New messy play ideas or something crafty to make

- When you find a site you like do you add it to your favourites? Pin it? Like it? Share it? What do you do?

Bookmark it with a brief description on my phone

wee_elf
14-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Where do you seek inspiration for your setting? Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have? -

I have been using pinterest a lot, it is so easy to add all the inspiration together! I do get mega envy with some of the pics though :p

Bumble Beez
15-05-2014, 06:33 AM
Hey Amy :)
Interesting project!!

Where do you seek inspiration for your setting?
Pinterest, other local childminders, children's centres pre-school settings, magazines such as practical pre school and nursery world...my main one is Pinterest!!

Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have?
All of the above...for layout, displays, activities etc...
I also look at dayoutwiththekids.co.uk on ideas on where to take the mindees, also library and local children's centres.

Do you steer away from certain activities in your setting? If so why?
I only steer clear of ones that make A LOT of mess until I can do them outside!!

What activities are preferred in your setting?
Creative activities, role play, mark making of any kind, outdoor play whatever the weather!

Do you vary the choices available to your children or do you tend to stick to the same activities and toys?
I rotate resources weekly...unless a little one is extending their learning with a particular activity or by using a certain toy.

Apart from this forum do you seek advise with regards to planning from anywhere else?
Other childminders and other local settings...often have their planning on show.
I sometimes look on the early years forum...as they can be county specific.

Do you find the Early Years framework and planning daunting?
I did to begin with, but like everything it gets easier with use and practice.

When visiting a website - what holds your attention?
Cute pictures, interesting articles, something different that you didn't know about...and colours...

What sort of content draws you in and inspires you?
When I can relate to something...when I feel comfortable reading it...

When you find a site you like do you add it to your favourites? Pin it? Like it? Share it? What do you do?
I pin it, add site to my favourites, send it to my mum!!

Hope that helps a little...feel like I've waffled on for ages!!

Sarah x

amylouise867
15-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Hey guys thank you so much for your time :) xx

Your feedback is really appreciated!!! xx

sing-low
15-05-2014, 07:07 PM
- Where do you seek inspiration for your setting? Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have?
Childminding Forum(!), various websites - Imagination tree, Productive Parenting, Pinterest, books - currently reading Communication Friendly Spaces,

Not doing playdoh as I have a LO who puts everything in her mouth and I'm worried about the salt content.

Being outside - playing with the spoons, bowls and earth, stories, singing/making music/dancing

- Do you vary the choices available to your children or do you tend to stick to the same activities and toys?
Try and vary it from week to week. I tend to have the same resources available for at least a week before changing them

No

EYFS no planning yes. Mostly knowing what's the right level - how much to do (from Ofsted's point of view!)

- When visiting a website - what holds your attention? What sort of content draws you in and inspires you?
lots of pictures, easy to navigate (hate websites where the search box is hard to find or searching for something returns either nothing or far too many pages to look through), I don't like websites that are too dogmatic - i.e. this is the only way to do something and if you're not doing it this way then you're doing it wrong.

Sign up for email from it. If there's an idea I want to use straight away, it'll go in my bookmarks menu. Might pin a specific idea if I like it, or follow their boards on Pinterest.

amylouise867
16-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Excellent thank you for your time :) x

Rubybaby
18-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Excellent thank you for your time :) x
Hi Amy...
Inspired by anything and everything... always interested in storage ideas and get lots of activity ideas from creative/DIY websites/catalogues etc...also always have a rummage in any skip (just got a lovely bit of plastic guttering to make a chute with!)

Not keen on baked bean/jelly/cooked pasta play etc as I worry about sending out mixed messages about food, so prefer to find alternatives

Music, role play,containers, sand, sensory play, empty cardboard boxes

Try to rotate/vary activities using basically the same toys/equipment but used in different ways

No,

EYFS no but planning yes. am forever experimenting with planning (and how to keep it to a minimum!)

Attractive layout, lots of colour,ease of navigation.

Usually bookmark it then forget I've done that and do it again!

Good Luck!

amylouise867
20-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Hi Amy... - Where do you seek inspiration for your setting? Whether it be for the room/s you use (layout, displays etc) or the activities and days out you have? Inspired by anything and everything... always interested in storage ideas and get lots of activity ideas from creative/DIY websites/catalogues etc...also always have a rummage in any skip (just got a lovely bit of plastic guttering to make a chute with!) - Do you steer away from certain activities in your setting? If so why? Not keen on baked bean/jelly/cooked pasta play etc as I worry about sending out mixed messages about food, so prefer to find alternatives -What activities are preferred in your setting? Music, role play,containers, sand, sensory play, empty cardboard boxes - Do you vary the choices available to your children or do you tend to stick to the same activities and toys? Try to rotate/vary activities using basically the same toys/equipment but used in different ways - Apart from this forum do you seek advise with regards to planning from anywhere else? No, - Do you find the Early Years framework and planning daunting? EYFS no but planning yes. am forever experimenting with planning (and how to keep it to a minimum!) - When visiting a website - what holds your attention? What sort of content draws you in and inspires you? Attractive layout, lots of colour,ease of navigation. - When you find a site you like do you add it to your favourites? Pin it? Like it? Share it? What do you do? Usually bookmark it then forget I've done that and do it again! Good Luck!

Hey,
That's great - Thank you :) x