PDA

View Full Version : fab childminder but rubbish mum?

Memina
13-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

After a bit of advise or tips on how to reinvigorate my son's love for learning.

This school year has been a total nightmare with my son who is in yr2. I have been called to see the teacher so many times and he's been in trouble because he's disruptive, rude, spits at peers and generally not bothered with his schook work.

I must say that this is a total different child compared to last year. He was so interested in reading, writing poems and has a thirst for knowledge.

I've asked for a meeting to speak with the teacher as we're coming to the end of the school year and I don't want him going into yr3 with this naughty boy label. I also want to know why he's acting like this.

I feel like such a rubbish mum right now.

Tazmin68
14-05-2014, 06:09 AM
My oldest so had an awful year 1 many years ago. Although I must admit that we had already been told that the teacher liked her favourites and we would soon see if our child round meet her approval. At least twice a week she doubled talk to me about behaviour I very nearly pulled him out of school. I had tears and upset before going to school at least three days a week. We stuck it out and he had a brill year 2. Not do good 3 and 5 but again brill year 4 and now in year 6. I think it's just how a child get on with a teacher and how that teacher encourages the children, remember it is also sats in year 2 and a repeat of phonics test if they did not pass last year. My nephew is taking medication as on ASD spectrum and is that stressed with year 2 sats and phonics he has been self harming for the last three weeks. I don't think anyone can understand the pressure that a 6/7 year old is being put on.

hectors house
14-05-2014, 06:32 AM
How does you little boy behave at home? I generally have found that my children have always acted the other way round, brilliant and well behaved at school and nightmare behaviour at home, so much so that when I used to read the report I would be convinced it was for someone else's child.

If he is only being like this at school then I would think that it's either the teacher rubbing him up the wrong way or I would look at the other children in his class and how they behave - it may be peer pressure or it may be pressure of SAT's etc in year 2 at Tazmin said above or he likes the attention he gets from his peers by acting the clown.

I know you had a new baby last year do you think his behaviour at school is linked to that? Well done on asking for a meeting with the teacher before the end of the year parents evenings and reports - I know how easy it is for a child to be labelled and for that label to follow them through that school.

You are not a rubbish mum, this is how it is with children of any age, a roller coaster of ups and downs!