PDA

View Full Version : First aid course

Smileyface
13-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Hello is it me or has st johns paediatric first aid course gone up it's now £204?
Do I do a refresher or have to do the full 12 hours again?
Surrey area
Thank you

catminder
13-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Mine cost £126 a year ago so yours seems quite expensive. Mine was in Nottinghamshire so maybe different areas charge differently.
Yes it's a full 12 hour course every 3 years.
X Alison

wee_elf
13-05-2014, 08:50 PM
My local authority is around £100 and I am required to do the whole 12 hours. Hope this helps :)

Chatterbox Childcare
13-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Blimey mine is £30 which is subsidised from £74.00.

Hunt around and as long as the company is "local authority approved" you are okay - doesn't have to be yours.

Tazmin68
14-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Ours no longer have to be local authority approved hense they are no longer offering first aid courses for childminders stating that we can now source them from elsewhere the same now goes fir food hygiene. Another way of cutting back by a local authority that nearly got taken into special measures in relation to child protection. Really gives a good message out there.

jackie 7
14-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Find a group of friends and organise it yourselves. It's much cheaper.

samb
14-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Go through the list of approved first aid courses on the Surrey website. The one I went for was about £45 - half online and half I had to attend. Best first aid course I've ever done! They were called silver cloud academy. Based in Crawley but is surrey approved. You can also arrange for them to come to you to run a course if there's enough people near you to make it worth it.

Simona
14-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Hello is it me or has st johns paediatric first aid course gone up it's now £204?
Do I do a refresher or have to do the full 12 hours again?
Surrey area
Thank you

At the moment and until 31 August 2014 First Aid has to be approved by your LA
When EYFS 2014 kicks in in Sept you will be free to choose where to get your FA from as the requirements have changed

Some LAs charge ...some don't...we have never paid in our LA for FA as it is part of the free training package...it may change

From Sept we can go anywhere for our FA that means there will be competition from training providers...so shop wisely as the cost vary dramatically

kaz26
14-05-2014, 11:15 AM
God that's expensive mine was subsidised in our area would def be cheaper for u to get a group together xx

wee_elf
14-05-2014, 01:49 PM
The difference between different LA's is crazy :panic:

tigwig
14-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Simona thats very interesting. Mine and my husband's first aid is due for renewal in dec this year. I have been looking into it now. My la has given me the names of companies we are allowed to use and I told them the dates we required, no mention of things changing! My only concern is if I do nothing now come sep might not be able to get on a course in time? As I have been quoted around £80 each it is probably worth waiting and hoping we will get on one for cheaper. I wanted to do the half online and half classroom as its only 1 day to give up and the rest fitting in when convenient.