PDA

View Full Version : My First Day (Only 3.5hrs) Was chaotic - HELP ME!!!

abzbargs
12-05-2014, 01:06 PM
So I've been childminding for about 8 months but it's only very part time, just a little 4 yr old before and after nursery a couple of times a week. We've had organised craft activities or baking most of the time and she's very happy playing with my 5 yr old.

Today I had an 18mnth old and 4 yr old siblings start. They are here 3.5 hrs every day until Friday, then 7 hrs a day next week. Lots of things went well today, the lo cried for a minute when mummy left, then was perfectly happy and settled. He also took his nap at his usual time and slept like a contented little log. The eldest was also having a great time. The problem I have is that the eldest pulls everything out, plays with it for a minute, then moves on. My kitchen was covered in Arts & Craft stuff, which he picked, then played with for about 5 mins. I was then trying to quickly clean stuff from the kitchen table for snack time whilst at the same time chasing the littlest one around to ensure he didn't come to any harm.

So I really think I have to plan to be more organised for tomorrow. I have lots of toys out because I wanted to see what they children liked.... I'm now wondering if it's all a bit overwhelming for them? I was thinking I should do 'house rules' with the big one tomorrow. THis will include tidying a toy away before moving on to another etc. Was also thinking of printing off some routine pictures eg music time; reading time; pretend play etc and getting them to stick the pictures on to some card stars and let them pick a picture to structure their time here.

Lastly, I think I need to be a little firmer. I just want them to be happy though and don't want to appear like a Hitler. Any hints/tips/advice greatly appreciated PLEASE :-)

tess1981
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
It's all new to them they want it all :) limit toys so less cleaning for you and tell the child to put away what he played with before anything new comes out. It will take a while for the children to learn what is expected. When u have a new child start I explain house rules by saying in my house we do X and X.

wee_elf
12-05-2014, 01:12 PM
I would limit the amount of resources that can access at one time, and you are right be firmer now, much harder to do this down the line. x

JCrakers
12-05-2014, 01:13 PM
It can be quite overwhelming at first for the children and new mindees play like they have to get through everything in a day.....its so exciting to see all the new toys and activities.
I've had children like this and on the other hand had very quiet children who have to be encouraged.

I would just explain that as we get something out to play with we have to put it away when we have finished. This is a rule I have otherwise everyone starts falling over things and breaking toys underfoot. We can have a couple of things out at a time during free play.
I also limit craft to a certain time. We either do this before snack at 9.30am or after at 10.30am.

Soon they will get into routine :D Just explain to the 3.5yr old your rules and I bet he'll be fine. Encourage to tidy as they go.

tess1981
12-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I also don't let children pull things out for only 5 mins and keep looking more. I say play with it for a while im not taking out activity after activity. Otherwise it's never ending and nothing really gets used.

abzbargs
12-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I think I will to rethink my toy access. It's all low shelving open boxes with easy access, apart from the things with small pieces which are locked away or up high. Might work around another high shelf I have, so that I put the boxes up high and then I have more control or what is out.

Kiddleywinks
12-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Aw, well done you for getting through the day lol

Imagine if you will, taking a group of children to a sweet shop and asking them all to choose one sweet each....
You'd be there till doomsday lol

Now imagine taking them to a shop and asking them to choose one out of a choice of 3 sweets... Soo much easier :-)

It's the same with new children and new settings, they don't know what to play with first, so they bounce from one thing to another.

abzbargs
13-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. After yesterdays chaos, today went like a dream. We had a lovely walk in the sunshine with my 3 mindees, dropped one off and took the other two to the play park. They enjoyed themselves (although I felt I gave more attention to the 18month old because he was trying to climb everything).

We then had a nice walk along the prom, snack at home, the lo slept and the big dealt very well with the fact most toys are now put away. He asked to play with things, tidied them up and waited on the next thing he asked for. Lunch for big one and then before we knew it, daddy came to get them. Quite a nice morning. HURRAY! The only downside is the fact that the times aren't working well getting lo to eat lunch. Daddy came at 12.30 and lo slept from 10.45 until pick-up!

smurfette
13-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. After yesterdays chaos, today went like a dream. We had a lovely walk in the sunshine with my 3 mindees, dropped one off and took the other two to the play park. They enjoyed themselves (although I felt I gave more attention to the 18month old because he was trying to climb everything). We then had a nice walk along the prom, snack at home, the lo slept and the big dealt very well with the fact most toys are now put away. He asked to play with things, tidied them up and waited on the next thing he asked for. Lunch for big one and then before we knew it, daddy came to get them. Quite a nice morning. HURRAY! The only downside is the fact that the times aren't working well getting lo to eat lunch. Daddy came at 12.30 and lo slept from 10.45 until pick-up!
It might be that it's not feasible for you to feed lunch before pick up.. I have one who is picked up at 1215, some days we don't manage lunch

smurfette
13-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Ps glad it went better today sounds like a lovely morning!!

tess1981
13-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. After yesterdays chaos, today went like a dream. We had a lovely walk in the sunshine with my 3 mindees, dropped one off and took the other two to the play park. They enjoyed themselves (although I felt I gave more attention to the 18month old because he was trying to climb everything).

We then had a nice walk along the prom, snack at home, the lo slept and the big dealt very well with the fact most toys are now put away. He asked to play with things, tidied them up and waited on the next thing he asked for. Lunch for big one and then before we knew it, daddy came to get them. Quite a nice morning. HURRAY! The only downside is the fact that the times aren't working well getting lo to eat lunch. Daddy came at 12.30 and lo slept from 10.45 until pick-up!

Ah glad it all went well. I have a little one who on the odd occasion does a half day with me. She is collected at 12 on these days and I can't have lunch ready that early so no lunch them days