PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the process of registering and would really appreciate some advice

EEvans-uk
12-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post but I would appreciate some advice.

Im working for a family as a nanny but have been offered a job working as an assistant for a childminder. I'm training to be a childminder right now so the experience would be great. My dilemma is the family I'm working for I can have my daughter with me the childminding setting I can't. I have found a childminder to have my daughter four afternoons after school in the week and over the summer holidays. As by September I should be registered and working for myself so she will be with me then so the childcare for her would only be temporary. My problem is the family I work for have caused a lot of stress. Sending texts back and forth everyday. Asking me to work extra days I'm not contracted to then making me feel guilty because I've got other appointments. My daughter was in hospital having surgery and I was still getting texts saying that the new job had fallen through because I was at the hospital and they were unable to do the trial! Trying to guilt trip me as per!! It's been like this since the day I started! They've tried changing my days hours even pay!! Got the hump when I tried to sort out work the days I'm not contracted to work for them because then they can't call upon me at there beck and call. All my friends think I should take this new opportunity even though I do have to find childcare. I just don't know what to do!!! I have to make my mind up by Friday!! What would you do?

Fitrix
12-05-2014, 12:13 PM
I would get out now. The family you work for sound a nightmare! Plus, working as a childminder will give you a fantastic insight into what it's like, plus you will move in the circles where you might find new clients by word of mouth etc! Can I ask why you can't have your child with you whilst working as an assistant? Surely what you get paid will only cover your childcare costs?

AliceK
12-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Tell them to go and find another mug :angry:

I would say how dare they try to contact you whilst your LO is in hospital having surgery but unfortunately until I got a separate number for childminding my parents used to feel they could contact me whenever, whatever the time or despite me being on holiday etc etc so it doesn't really surprise me :angry:.

This family you currently work for do not deserve you and I would have no hesitation in telling them where to go.

xxx

smurfette
12-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi . I would also leave now if you can.. If you are setting up as a minder anyway you will be leaving then anyway so you might as well get out before it gets worse and gain some great experience! If you can afford it go for it!

wee_elf
12-05-2014, 01:10 PM
I wold leave the family and never look back!

loocyloo
12-05-2014, 01:56 PM
I would leave the family you are nannying for but I would ask why you can't take your daughter to the childminder with you? My assistant used to have her children with her.

If you can't ... Could you look at doing some temporary nannying?

EEvans-uk
12-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your replies. I can't take my child because they've tried it before with other assistants and naturally there own child wanted more attention. I understand that and she knows I'm registering so sooner or later I'll be leaving but she's happy for me to gain the experience look through her polices etc and just get into the swing of things. My boss called me today and said she needs to be somewhere early tomorrow so instead of meeting up at the lights at 8.40 she wants to bring the kids to my house at 8am and they've never been here before!!! I said yes but am getting more annoyed at her taking the ..... My friends have said I should have said no, gods know why I didn't!! If I'm going to do this I need to do it by Friday and I'm dreading handing my notice plus I'll see her everyday at the school! It's a nightmare. X

I would leave the family you are nannying for but I would ask why you can't take your daughter to the childminder with you? My assistant used to have her children with her.

If you can't ... Could you look at doing some temporary nannying?

loocyloo
12-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I would ask if you could try with your dd there? Yes initially she would want more of your attention but she is at school so obviously isn't a little one and big enough to explain that you have to help all the children.
After all, when you are childminding yourself she will have to share you and it's much harder for the children when it's their own house and toys and mummy.
Good luck x