PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy abd childminding

gcragg
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Hi girls,
Hope this post is in the right place?!
Any views/experience really appreciated please.

I've been childminding for around a year now and have minded whilst looking after my own little boy who is now just over two. (Another two year old - 4days a week and a one year old 2days a week but for 3hrs at a time)

I'm now pregnant (14weeks) and just starting to panic as to whether childminding can work while having my own two children.

+ Just wondered if anyone would be able to share their experiences?
+ have you been able to keep up being a mum to two young children and juggling childminding?
+ did you have a break and if so how long?
+ did it work out well for you?

Any experiences would be really appreciated. I feel like as I am taking in the fact I have a new baby coming I need to be clear about how to move forwards.

I've already given both parents notice for Oct and said I wouldn't be able to definitely say if or when I can return to work. I figured I could always take on new children when/if the time feels right?

Thanks so much for any thoughts,
Gemma x

Nickidela
11-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi Gemma. I'm in the same boat - 19 weeks pregnant and I seem to change my mind daily as to what I'm going to do. I was going to take just October off - baby due beginning of October, so told parents this - they all seem able to use family etc for the month, but then I think maybe I should just take the maternity allowance and take the 39 weeks off. I have a 15 year old, 12 year old and 15 month old of my own, so I'll have to be doing things with my toddler and the newborn - maybe an extra minded child/children wouldn't be so bad. Then I think why should I push myself, I should just enjoy the time off with just my children, I'm not going to get that time back! There is such a demand for childcare in this area that it doesn't worry me starting from scratch again with vacancies next summer. I spoke to the local college about hiring an apprentice - because obviously with 2 under 5's myself I could only have 1 other under 5 during the week which won't earn the pennies - at least with an apprentice as my assistant I could take on more. I may leave that until I start up again next summer/September time and just enjoy being a mum again. Sorry, that's probably no help whatsoever! Lol. X

munch149
12-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I would Definitely take the full maternity as one child doesn't pay much but once it's over I still think it's worth it to keep working. Put it this way you'll be better off that a parent going out to work who has to pay for childcare for two children

wee_elf
12-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I would take the maternity allowance and enjoy the time with just your two, and then you can take on new mindees later if that is what you decide xx

amyp
12-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm trying for our next baby and I think about this a lot. I think if I continue with the ones I have on my books continuity of care means I can have the existing 3 as well as my newborn. If I start from scratch I can only have one more. Also I have to do it anyway with my toddler so I may as well have the others?!? Ummmmmm....... Tough call!!

Bumble Beez
12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Firstly...congratulations!!

Well, I worked full time childminding when I was expecting my 3rd baby...I found I had to be careful lifting littlies and buggy etc but otherwise carried on as normal.

I took two weeks off and was straight back working! In hindsight (again) I would probably say take longer than I did, but it worked for me and my family.

If your families are willing to wait for you, by finding a short term childcare solution then great, if not then just start again after the 9 months.

Hope all goes smoothly for you x

Sarah x

geordiebunny
16-05-2014, 08:45 AM
If I was you I would take the full maternity as it seems more financially viable for you. I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and looking at between 4-6 weeks maternity leave but this is purely down to this being mine and husbands only income, he is the assistant so needs me available to work to earn an income. We have been lucky and parents are giving us the summer holidays off with only 1 3 year old and 1 9 year old possibly needing care during the holidays so I see it as having a sibling around. You can work 10 days during your maternity leave which wont affect any benefits they told me.
Congratulations on all the pregnancies been a while since I posted but nice to see.