PDA

View Full Version : Term time only contract what to charge?

Snowwhite
11-05-2014, 12:40 PM
If a parent asks for term time only childcare then what do you charge?
Half of the daily fee during every hols?
Or
Half of the daily fee but put your daily fee a bit higher? (if so then how much higher?)
Or
Spread the cost over the year so parent pays same amount and its balanced out over the year?
Do you find any parents grumble about spreading the cost or to pay a reduced fee/ half or they generally ok and understand?
Thanks

rickysmiths
11-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Because parents seem to want to pay nothing in the holidays now I do this formula.

I add up the total for half fee for 13 weeks

I add up full fee for 39 weeks

Add the two figures together and divide by 39 to get the fee they pay during term time only and that is the fee I quote as my Term Time only fee. They are happy because they are only physically paying during the 39 weeks, I am happy because I am being paid a half fee during the holidays. I do not annulize Term Time only fees either.

Snowwhite
11-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Brill.I'll try that!

Snowwhite
11-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Because parents seem to want to pay nothing in the holidays now I do this formula.

I add up the total for half fee for 13 weeks

I add up full fee for 39 weeks

Add the two figures together and divide by 39 to get the fee they pay during term time only and that is the fee I quote as my Term Time only fee. They are happy because they are only physically paying during the 39 weeks, I am happy because I am being paid a half fee during the holidays. I do not annulize Term Time only fees either.

Sorry i thought that was simple then when i tried but it wasn't (for me as i'm not the the brightest star with maths!) Could you perhaps give me an example with it broken down a bit more? Thanks so much!

rickysmiths
11-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Say you normally charge £4 per hour.

The child comes to you 10 hours a week in the 39 weeks of school term time so your fee would be £40 per week x 39 = £1,560

During the 13 weeks school holiday you charge a half fee retainer so £20 per week x 13 = £260

Add the £1,560 to the £260 = £1,820 which you then divide by 39 so your new weekly rate for the 39 weeks is approx £46 per week (sorry doing the maths in my head!)

This then means you are charging your weekly term time fee plus your weekly half fee holiday retainer by only taking money from the parent during the 39 weeks of term time. They pay you nothing during the 13 weeks of the holidays.

Snowwhite
11-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Thankyou rickysmiths

LittleRabbits
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Thats a good idea, I didnt really want to have term time only children but it may come up in the future

Cinnamon Sugar
12-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Thats a good idea, I didnt really want to have term time only children but it may come up in the future

I wish I did term time only, I really struggle to take enough time off during the school holidays and get very jealous of my tto childminder friends who come back after the holidays refreshed and reborn

wee_elf
12-05-2014, 03:53 PM
that seems a great way of working out the fees, thanks rickysmiths! :)

Cinnamon Sugar
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I wish I did term time only, I really struggle to take enough time off during the school holidays and get very jealous of my tto childminder friends who come back after the holidays refreshed and reborn ?de01

I've done it! Have let all my parents know that as of September I will be term time only...can't wait :-)

gwm
03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
It depends whether you are offering the service or not. I do not offer childminding service during the holidays so I do not charge anything. Therefore, If a parent asks me if I could work even half a day durning the holidays(as they did the day school was breaking uo), I have no problem whatsoever in saying 'No'. Spending the time with my family is worth more to me. But, if you do wish to work but the parents wish to have term time only then, I think rickysmiths calculation is a good one.

tess1981
04-08-2014, 07:59 AM
I've done it! Have let all my parents know that as of September I will be term time only...can't wait :-)

Well done you. I told all parents I'm not doing Wednesday any more up until now there were days parents swapping and I only ever seemed to have one child on a Wednesday so thought need to be stricter about days and told all need to be more organised stick to more set days :) can't wait until September to have my first Wednesday to myself when my own children go back to school :)

Jelly Baby
10-08-2014, 07:55 PM
That's a really good way of doing it. I've always charged a retainer but don't fir 2 of my family's. How does it work if they want take a holiday if you charge half.. Do you just half that particular week?

KateA
11-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi, I offer term time only contracts and dont charge for the holidays as I dont want to work them so I can spend time with my own children.

x