08-05-2014, 10:13 AM
How much do you charge

For snacks per child
Lunches per a child
Dinner per a child

For you accounts book and do you need to give yourself a receipt

hectors house
08-05-2014, 11:45 AM
I charge the parents £1.50 for lunch & £1.50 for tea - I don't charge them for snacks

I put through my expenses - £2 for each meal and £1 a day for snacks (fruit, biscuits, crumpets, hot X buns, squash), I sometimes think that the expenses I put through my accounts are a bit on the high side, but I haven't got time to calculate exactly what proportion the children eat - I don't give them food like fish fingers where you can calculate the exact cost, I do cooked meals like roast dinners, beef stew, lasagne.

No you don't need to do yourself a receipt as you should keep your shopping receipts as proof of purchase and also for Food Standards (In case you had an outbreak of food poisoning from a meal you gave the children).

rickysmiths
08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
I include all food in my fees.

To be honest I can't be bothered in the double entry in my accounts and the potential questions and what ifs if a child has a day off or is off sick and again the additional record keeping.

I just enter all my food costs as an expense. Simple!

Rubybubbles
08-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I include all food in my fees. To be honest I can't be bothered in the double entry in my accounts and the potential questions and what ifs if a child has a day off or is off sick and again the additional record keeping. I just enter all my food costs as an expense. Simple!

Same here!

loocyloo
08-05-2014, 03:10 PM
I include all food in my fees.

To be honest I can't be bothered in the double entry in my accounts and the potential questions and what ifs if a child has a day off or is off sick and again the additional record keeping.

I just enter all my food costs as an expense. Simple!

And the same here too :-)

LauraS
10-05-2014, 01:58 PM
And the same here too :-)

And me. Plus saves dealing with the quibbling if the evenings hot meal is something that isn't the child's favourite or falls short of the parents steak and caviar expectations.

Rubybubbles
10-05-2014, 06:44 PM
And me. Plus saves dealing with the quibbling if the evenings hot meal is something that isn't the child's favourite or falls short of the parents steak and caviar expectations.

Oh yes they we only ever fed our child .... Till to spot them in town with sweets at the weekend lol!!

rickysmiths
11-05-2014, 07:21 AM
I charge the parents £1.50 for lunch & £1.50 for tea - I don't charge them for snacks

I put through my expenses - £2 for each meal and £1 a day for snacks (fruit, biscuits, crumpets, hot X buns, squash), I sometimes think that the expenses I put through my accounts are a bit on the high side, but I haven't got time to calculate exactly what proportion the children eat - I don't give them food like fish fingers where you can calculate the exact cost, I do cooked meals like roast dinners, beef stew, lasagne.

No you don't need to do yourself a receipt as you should keep your shopping receipts as proof of purchase and also for Food Standards (In case you had an outbreak of food poisoning from a meal you gave the children).

I have just re read this. How would you explain to HMRC that you don't at least charge the full cost of the food to the parents? Also you do have to work out the exact cost of the meals HMRC would not be impressed if they examined your books and found that the average cost of a meal was only £1.50 by looking at your food expenses and see you are claiming £2. You need to regularly work out how much you are actually spending per meal you can't just guess!!

hectors house
11-05-2014, 04:48 PM
I have just re read this. How would you explain to HMRC that you don't at least charge the full cost of the food to the parents? Also you do have to work out the exact cost of the meals HMRC would not be impressed if they examined your books and found that the average cost of a meal was only £1.50 by looking at your food expenses and see you are claiming £2. You need to regularly work out how much you are actually spending per meal you can't just guess!!

Like is too short to calculate exactly how much my delicious lasagne is but if anyone wants to add this up exactly for me - minced meat, 2 jars of bolognese sauce, tin tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, half bottle of red wine, tin of butter beans, slices of choritzo, spinach, cheese sauce, parmesan - I estimate it to be about £12 - this feeds myself and husband and 3 mindees - the children then have either custard or tapioca or fromage frais with fresh fruit for dessert.

I charge the parents 3 children x £1.50 = £4.50 and put 3 x £2 = £6 through my accounts - surely the fact that I chose to subsidies the meals (by not charging parents £2) is my choice, the same as the people who put through their expenses £6 for meals that are included in the hourly rate. I declare the money parents pay to me as income - so it's all swings and roundabouts.

kaz26
14-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I charge 50p breakfast,£1.50 lunch and £2 for tea xx

k-tots
14-05-2014, 11:36 AM
From my understanding for hmrc ...all we have to show re food is a reasonable amount.per meal etc as they dont need to see receipts for food...just food standard agency in case of food poisoning outbreak....so for my expense I do...£1 breakfast...50p.per snack time....£1.00 lunch...£2.00..tea