PDA

View Full Version : New starter not arrived?!

Fitrix
07-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Really don't know what to think. Interview went well, mum wanted to sign and we arranged days/times. Her kids were due to start Wednesday (today). She was supposed to come and sign contracts/pay Saturday but couldn't as she was too busy, we rearranged for Sunday - same thing. Tuesday she texted and asked if she could sign and pay cash when she dropped boys in the morning. So I was expecting them this morning but I've heard nothing. Ive sent her a text asking what's happening (which I can see she has read) but she hasn't replied. I've now just seen she's put an ad on childcare looking for a childminder!! I really don't understand it. I didn't push for her to sign at all or chase her - it was all driven by her, we have texted every day and it all seemed fine? Very odd don't you think?

hectors house
07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
How rude - if this parent decided she didn't want your services after all she should at least have had the decency to text you and let you know. Next time someone wants a space tell them they need to pay a deposit, you are very sorry but due to time wasters you have now had to change your policy.

bernesewalking
07-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Defiantly very rude, personally I would log into the website and click on her page and then she would know you've seen it when she gets an email telling her, maybe a bit petty but then that's the devil in me! :rolleyes:

Fitrix
07-05-2014, 03:59 PM
I just know that things often crop up with kids so I was giving her the benefit of the doubt. It's just that she's put an ad on childcare. I don't understand why/how she could change her mind overnight? I guess she has her reasons - I'd just like to know! Plus I will have to see her at school in sept when her kids start so I don't want to feel awkward! This business can be so frustrating!!

LauraS
07-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I had a similar experience with a parent who called in sick for her child for the first few days after the start of the contract, then again on the Monday of the following week. On the Tuesday I saw the child who had meant to start with me with another childminder out and about. She had signed with someone else and not bothered telling me. The cynic in me suspects that it was because I insist on no pay, no play, and the other cm agreed to payment in arrears. I heard that she didn't pay the other cm either, just did a runner.

I had another parent sign a contract then cancel it the next day because they lived too far from me :s.

Parents can be strange.

smurfette
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I had one who visited three times paid a deposit signed a contract then rang the following morning to say she didn't trust me not to let our dog eat her child! People are weird indeed that's very unfair. suppose you didn't get a deposit if she hadn't signed contract? I would have done the same if it's any consolation, we want to see the good in people and trust them and find it hard to believe when people don't treat us like we would treat them., big hugs for you x

Fitrix
07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Ahh thanks so much for your replies. Last thing I texted when she asked if she could pay half now half in a week was "ok but no pay, no care!!" to ensure I got something!
I've been questioning myself and wondering if she changed her mind about me/my setting, so it's nice to have a possible different reason!!

kaz26
07-05-2014, 07:46 PM
God how rude should def let u know if your services wasn't needed! X

tigwig
07-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore about parents. I bet you anything this woman hasn't got the money right now to pay you and is frantically trying to find someone who will accept payment in arrears.
I would forget about her and if shes stupid enough to get back in touch tell her to do one!

smurfette
08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Sounds like a lucky escape I agree you looking for money up front is probably what scared her off in which case u would have been having problems later! Bet she is embarrassed when she sees you at school!

bunyip
08-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Agreed: a lucky escape.

I can't help wondering if you've become a victim of the 'shop-around-parent' phenomenon that happens round here from time to time. Parents confirm places with multiple settings, sometimes even sign contracts, then choose which to stick with. Admittedly, when it happens here, they usually take advantage of settling visits to make their final decision on an 'on trial' sort of basis. Another reason why I started taking deposits, even though I dislike the feeling I get from not trusting people. :p

rickysmiths
08-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Lucky escape by the sounds of it. Did you giver her your URN by any chance? If you did ring Tax Credits and inform them that no Contract has ever started with you. I would then write to the parent and say you are sorry she has not started a Contract with you and that you are sorry to advise her that you can no longer offer her a space. Also inform her that it is her responsibility to inform Tax Credits if she has spoken to them that she isn't starting a Contract and that you have informed them of this as well.

Fitrix
08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
No, fortunately I didn't give her my URN. I do believe she has no intention of paying whoever she dupes into taking her kids on. Particularly as it was a short term contract (3 months). Some of the things she said just didn't add up (hence my insistence she pay in advance). She also said another parent I know is godmother to her children. I asked the parent and she's not. Why would you lie about something like that?? She's been doing the rounds of local minders apparently. There are so so many in this area she is bound to find someone new and inexperienced. Her children were "challenging" to say the least and really need someone very firm. Shame really as it would have worked for me. Oh well onwards and upwards!!

rickysmiths
08-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you are better off without her.