PDA

View Full Version : Is it enough notice?!!!

smurfette
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
So dh and I have been looking at holidays and originally intended to take only a week, however we have seen a deal for two weeks which looks do able

It is from 5th July.. Which is only 7 weeks away, and I haven't booked holidays from the mindees .. Is it too late to expect them to be able to get time off?! I suppose those dates will be at a premium at peoples work as it's the first full week of the summer holidays from school here

All my mindees are part time , the most days I will miss for any of them is 8 in that fortnight and that little one have no family help nearby,, but did ask me for holdiday plans last week so she could get time off work and maybe go away themselves

My worry really is new baby just started week two this week, they asked if I had holiday plans when they visited and I said not yet would give at least four weeks notice but since we have to get braces for our eldest two this year probably not doing anything too hectic ! I don't think they have much family help and mum is using annual leave to work only three days a week (so only six days they need to cover) this is the dad with the id problem but all is fine now it seems

jackie 7
05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Explain that you are giving as much notice as possible. It I's enough notice.

tulip0803
05-05-2014, 11:04 PM
I give at least 4 weeks notice - I give as much as I can. This year I was able to give notice in January of my holiday last year it was a lot less.

You need to have a break and it is plenty of notice. Do you have any minder friends with spaces that could help out. We try to help each other out if there is a spare space for holidays

hectors house
06-05-2014, 07:28 AM
I would follow whatever your contract says - mine only says 4 weeks notice but I generally give them at least 4 months, but am within my rights if I see at good deal to only give them 4 weeks. Decide if the holiday is the right time and price for you - if so book it and then give them the "good" news - offer to find help - maybe the mum could work 4 days a week (if you can fit in the baby) for a few weeks before your holiday and then take extra time off while you are away.

smurfette
06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I would follow whatever your contract says - mine only says 4 weeks notice but I generally give them at least 4 months, but am within my rights if I see at good deal to only give them 4 weeks. Decide if the holiday is the right time and price for you - if so book it and then give them the "good" news - offer to find help - maybe the mum could work 4 days a week (if you can fit in the baby) for a few weeks before your holiday and then take extra time off while you are away.

Just says ample notice .. My other families are quite flexible and will swap
Days etc if i need a day off for my kids activities etc which I don't get four weeks notice for often so I never put four weeks

bunyip
06-05-2014, 08:20 AM
I'm guessing your contracts use the usual 4 weeks' notice for announcing holidays/closure - right?

If that's the case, then I think what you're proposing is perfectly fair. You've not led the new client to expect anything more than 4 weeks' notice, so you're ok there too.

The only (potential) problem I can see is the new family, as I understand from your previous posts that they've tended a bit towards the weird side of fussy. I'd say by all means 'handle with care', but that doesn't mean pandering to them at the expense of your own rights and happiness. Frankly, you're not responsible for their reactions, feelings, or lack of a back-up for childcare.

OK, so they don't get much family help with the lo: that's going to be the same all year round, surely, and not just in July. So the timing of your holiday is less critical than their lack of a plan. This is (yet another) of the things I increasingly find I have to point out at the pre-contract stage. I do take some time off, and I will get sick, and I will need hospital appointments, and I will be forced to close by sick lo's (not a lot, but it will happen.) I tell parents they will need an effective 'plan B' and this will be true whichever CM they choose, although I may be the only one they meet who is honest enough to tell them, rather than just giving the 'positive' sales patter that everything will be rosie. If they don't have a 'plan B' they may genuinely be better served at a nursery (although their child may well get sick more often if their exclusion policy for staff/children isn't so strictly adhered to). After that, they can consider themselves warned: lack of planning on their part does not constitute a crisis on my part.

I can see how this (and other things likely to arise) could prove a tipping point with you ID-obsessive dad. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're not going to bend over backwards for them for the coming years, then they need to come to terms with how you operate. You may lose them, but this sort of 'natural selection' can be a better thing than having to give in and live with the resentment.

smurfette
06-05-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm guessing your contracts use the usual 4 weeks' notice for announcing holidays/closure - right? If that's the case, then I think what you're proposing is perfectly fair. You've not led the new client to expect anything more than 4 weeks' notice, so you're ok there too. The only (potential) problem I can see is the new family, as I understand from your previous posts that they've tended a bit towards the weird side of fussy. I'd say by all means 'handle with care', but that doesn't mean pandering to them at the expense of your own rights and happiness. Frankly, you're not responsible for their reactions, feelings, or lack of a back-up for childcare. OK, so they don't get much family help with the lo: that's going to be the same all year round, surely, and not just in July. So the timing of your holiday is less critical than their lack of a plan. This is (yet another) of the things I increasingly find I have to point out at the pre-contract stage. I do take some time off, and I will get sick, and I will need hospital appointments, and I will be forced to close by sick lo's (not a lot, but it will happen.) I tell parents they will need an effective 'plan B' and this will be true whichever CM they choose, although I may be the only one they meet who is honest enough to tell them, rather than just giving the 'positive' sales patter that everything will be rosie. If they don't have a 'plan B' they may genuinely be better served at a nursery (although their child may well get sick more often if their exclusion policy for staff/children isn't so strictly adhered to). After that, they can consider themselves warned: lack of planning on their part does not constitute a crisis on my part. I can see how this (and other things likely to arise) could prove a tipping point with you ID-obsessive dad. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're not going to bend over backwards for them for the coming years, then they need to come to terms with how you operate. You may lose them, but this sort of 'natural selection' can be a better thing than having to give in and live with the resentment.

Yes bunyip you are right better they leave now, if they are going to .. they have been fine since starting but lots of texts and pictures has helped and the little fella is just a delight today after being a screamer last week! My issue would be if they left can't afford said holiday! Dh says not to worry about it can't always worry about these things but can't help it.. The last twice I was away I got notice from a parent
While away or as soon as back once money was spent!!

smurfette
06-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks all think I will just bite the bullet aarrgghh!!!

Kiddleywinks
06-05-2014, 10:03 AM
If losing this parent has that much of an impact on your holiday, I'd tell them first!
If your notice period is 4 weeks, you can currently give 7, so telling baby family and giving them a week to digest the information enough for them to decide whether they're going to continue with you still gives the other parents 6 weeks notice - which is over and above the 4 weeks required x

smurfette
06-05-2014, 10:26 AM
If losing this parent has that much of an impact on your holiday, I'd tell them first! If your notice period is 4 weeks, you can currently give 7, so telling baby family and giving them a week to digest the information enough for them to decide whether they're going to continue with you still gives the other parents 6 weeks notice - which is over and above the 4 weeks required x
Still in settling period which means they can give immediate notice

smurfette
07-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Phew.! Told mum when she collected and she was totally cool about it! Said no problem they would sort it.. Maybe they expected to have to cover holidays hmm!

munch149
07-05-2014, 04:21 PM
I've actually only given 4 weeks notice this year which is unlike me. Got married in April and booked the honeymoon afterwards as we asked for money towards it. Booked so soon as we got a too good deal to turn down so go the beginning of June

kaz26
07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
My contracts state 6 weeks notice on both sides generally I give more than that but sometimes that's not always possible x

smurfette
08-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Think that's why I was worried About it, usually I have given loads of notice and only taken one week! I would love to be able to give all the dates at the start of the year but our finances aren't good enough., we actually planned only to have a down country break borrowing a cousins house and then I got a new little one signed up and we could afford a proper holiday!

Anyway they have all been told so now I am going to go ahead and confirm the house booking and book the ferry yay! Thanks all for the reassurance!!