PDA

View Full Version : Probably a silly question but..

dolly1985
05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I take the 3 children I have with me upstairs when I pop to the loo and have them on the landing whilst I go loo with the door just to but they all barge in!!

Can I leave them in playroom and nip to the loo or no??

Thanks!

jadavi
05-05-2014, 04:10 PM
They do say - if you are happy to and they are within your hearing range.

hectors house
05-05-2014, 04:11 PM
You are supposed to be within sight or hearing of the children at all times however when you work on your own this isn't always practical when eg: popping to the toilet or when checking on sleeping children upstairs. When I need to put a baby upstairs for a nap or check on one sleeping, I do a quick visual risk assessment based on the ages of the children I will be leaving downstairs and if I think they won't behave I pop the TV on for a couple of minutes.

In your situation where you haven't got a downstairs toilet you need to risk assessment whether it is more dangerous to leave them downstairs on their own or to have them unsupervised at the top of stairs (I don't know if you have a stair gate or not), also they could access rooms they aren't supposed to go in, which may not be risk assessed and safe for them.

Kiddleywinks
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
How old are they?

If they are old and mature enough to be left to play happily I tell them where I am going, and leave the bathroom door open so I can hear them at all times, although my house is quite open plan anyway so can always hear what's going on lol
Don't see the point in disturbing their play if they're playing nicely and happily with little interference from me beforehand anyway

If I have a little little one, they either come with or put in travel cot with some toys, or I'll wait till they're asleep (more usual lol)

Downstairs is secure and child orientated more so than if we're in the garden where I wouldn't leave any of them unattended (aged 13 mths - 8 years!)

tulip0803
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I have to leave the children downstairs while I pop to the toilet (or take them into the toilet with me) I live in a Victorian house and the bathroom comes off the stairs. I ensure that the children are as safe as possible. I put little ones in a pushchair or travel cot with some toys and I leave to bathroom door open so I can hear what is going on - I often have to talk to them so that they know I can hear them. Everything is done as quick as possible!

dolly1985
05-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I always leave my son who has just turned 2 whilst I pop to the loo. My other mindees are nearly 3 and 15months!

Maybe tomorrow I'll pop to the loo without them whilst they are all happily playing and leave door open so i can hear them!

wee_elf
05-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I think as long as they seem engaged and there is no immediate danger it is OK for a few minutes, when you gotta go you gotta go!