PDA

View Full Version : Organising Toys for Toddlers and Older children for Safety

abzbargs
04-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I've been childminding since September and looked after a 4 year old and my own son who is 5.

My playroom is perfect for their age group. I have low level tables; a small bookcase and then lots of open plastic boxes on a low level units that the children can access easily. I've now had an enquiry from a mum to care for her 4 year old and 1 year old. The 4 year old would love the room. I am terrified the room is big choking hazard for a toddler! I obviously need to reorganise the room (have lots of great resources for the 1 year old I've just brought down from loft). The thing is, the mum is coming tomorrow and I want to give her an idea of how I'll set the room up.

I'm thinking of first of all moving Lego etc and placing in another room. Then, if the 4 & 5 year old want to play with said bigger toys, they have to ask for then and play with them on the dining or kitchen table. Even the crafts are choking hazards....tonnes of stuff, yikes! Can you tell I only had an only child?

How do you organise your play space for the different age ranges? Any help appreciated!

blue bear
04-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Mine change daily depending who is coming to play. I have the small bits stored up higher out of reach of little ones, children aged three plus, know to check if they can have small pieces out and to play with them on the table when baby is here. I can put a stair gate up between playroom and lounge to keep baby safe (I can see both when on either room because I have mirrors placed to help me see)

abzbargs
04-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks. I think I will just make a start on the playroom and see how many small things I have. I've a big house so can keep the small pieces up in a shelf in the dining room, that way they can ask for them and I can also get the bigger children to play with those things on either the dining or kitchen table.

wee_elf
05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Could you make a choosing book for the older children with the smaller toys so they can ask for them but you can store them somewhere safe? X

abzbargs
05-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Last night I put most of the 3+ toys either up high or in locked cupboard. I'm glad I did because the mum visited today with the toddler and he was into everything:) I have been thinking the very thing about a Choice Board or book. I think it's a very good idea. It feels very odd at the moment because the room looks quite empty and it'll be taken p with more toddler things. tbh I feel a bit guilty. My 5 year old can't just go and pick anything he likes and it's mostly all his toys. He does usually head for the Lego though and asked for it to be fetched this morning.

So used to 4 and 5 year olds and this will be a learning curve for me in introducing activities they can all do together as well as ensuring toddlers safety.

wee_elf
06-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Look at it as a trial and error approach :-) x

munch149
06-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm the opposite and don't have many older ones so all my toys are baby friendly. Any older child toys are put higher up and the children can ask for them. Older children can ask where as little ones can't so it's better to have there toys more accessible. A lot of the small world toys like the animals are liked by both age groups tho. You may fine that the older ones like exploring the new range of toys whether a bit young for them or not

wee_elf
08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
that is true! I often forget the value of older children having the experience of revisiting younger resources that they may have previously experienced or mastered to allow them to build upon their knowledge.