PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly an encouraging start to new Minders

Tealady
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
My oldest and dearest friend is seriously thinking she would like to become a Childminder. She went along to the initial briefing by our LA and was none too impressed.

The DO who was brilliant and ran the meeting before has left and her colleague has taken over. The colleague did not have a clue. Told them lots of incorrect information and if she didn't know an answer to a question, kind of guessed the answer and if challenged on the accuracy just admitted she didn't know. The slides were awful; full of typos.

Fortunately my friend has spoken to me at great length about things so on the whole knew what was right and what wasn't, but it is a touch worrying.

Perhaps they are showing themselves in a bad light so as the newbies will choose to go the agency route.

FloraDora
03-05-2014, 08:00 AM
The problem is, as the LA's shrink, they are left with more and more people who are taking over roles of those that have left without the background experience and in your friend's case, knowledge.
LA's don't seem to be replacing people who leave, just redeploying them. As their budgets get cut because of Academy's and Free Schools, they cut staff and quality advisors are becoming consultants not Local Authority officers.
Our current government set out to get rid of LA's authority over childcare and education ....and it seems they have succeeded.

It won't be long until we are not required to attend an LA training prior to registration, I am sure we will be able to choose where we go for training, ( agencies will offer and other private companies will get on the bandwagon) but this choice will probably cost.

Simona
03-05-2014, 09:16 AM
You are both right...Tealady your friend is very lucky to have you give her the right information

The role of LAs is very unclear at the moment...there is a live consultation on now about agencies and the LA role.... we will know what that will come out with when the outcome is published
Many LAs still apply strict conditions for cms ...despite their diminishing role...especially for funding and insisting we join Network to draw it but have withdrawn support unless we are RI/Inadequate

LAs are still offering the pre registration process...however...cms can then go and look for training elsewhere as it does not have to be LA ...that is in EYFS 2014
Agencies will of course register their own cms...this may drive many cms into that direction...we must stop that.

Flora Dora I too believe that other companies will jump in and offer pre registration packages that will include training...at what cost no one knows but Cms are very vulnerable at the moment

I am very worried about this because I can see and read that it is happening already

We must seek help at local level and stay independent at all costs.

loocyloo
03-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Our local children's centre is telling people who are interested in becoming a childminder to talk to me!!
Thankfully due to this forum I have an idea about starting up now! But usually I tell them about the nuts and bolts of day to day childminding! Scares a few away!