PDA

View Full Version : Sibling discount

Fitrix
02-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Stupid question! I have always done a 10% sibling discount and worked it out that for the sibling with the least hours I charge my hourly rate hourly rate less 10%. Ie. first sibling £5/hr, second sibling £4.50/hr.

Someone I know charges 10% off the total fee so £4.50 for each.

Am I doing it right??

amyp
02-05-2014, 05:27 PM
I charge £4.50 an hour £4 for siblings.

QualityCare
02-05-2014, 05:35 PM
If l do a discount it comes off the eldest child as they will leave first and you can't then up the youngest child rate to normal rate.

loocyloo
02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
If l do a discount it comes off the eldest child as they will leave first and you can't then up the youngest child rate to normal rate.

That's what I do too. And my discount is only valid for BOTH children attending for a minimum of 25 hours a week.

Simona
03-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Stupid question! I have always done a 10% sibling discount and worked it out that for the sibling with the least hours I charge my hourly rate hourly rate less 10%. Ie. first sibling £5/hr, second sibling £4.50/hr.

Someone I know charges 10% off the total fee so £4.50 for each.

Am I doing it right??

totally up to you ...
parents get help with childcare costs from the govt...it is not discounted if they have 2 children...it is in fact double
I am unsure why cms offer a discount for sibling but...as said is personal to you and your decision...would a restaurant give discount for 2 children eating out?

Emra81
03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
I've always thought of sibling discount as a type of offer/promotion to entice new business....kind of a watered down version of a buy one get one free in the supermarket! If there is plenty of work in your area, like we're lucky enough to have where I am at the moment, then I personally don't think sibling discount is necessary. 2 children is double the work and unless other childminders in your area offer a discount and you need to stay competitive then you deserve double the money. As a parent I wouldn't expect a discount...childcare for 2 children costs twice as much in my head. Totally my personal opinion though!

Simona
03-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I've always thought of sibling discount as a type of offer/promotion to entice new business....kind of a watered down version of a buy one get one free in the supermarket! If there is plenty of work in your area, like we're lucky enough to have where I am at the moment, then I personally don't think sibling discount is necessary. 2 children is double the work and unless other childminders in your area offer a discount and you need to stay competitive then you deserve double the money. As a parent I wouldn't expect a discount...childcare for 2 children costs twice as much in my head. Totally my personal opinion though!

Well said...a promotion and initial offer...YES to that! but all the time?
I agree with you...

jadavi
03-05-2014, 08:09 AM
The only thing I have done for one loyal family- is is the fourth child is free when they are all there (not often ) no sibling discounts otherwise.

Fitrix
03-05-2014, 08:27 AM
It is indeed about staying competitive in my area. It's not about offering promotional offers as such, paying for two children is financially not viable for a lot of people and we need to make it affordable for parents. Yes two children are double the work but better that than no work!! Regardless, the 10% discount is applied by pretty much everyone I know in this area (childminders and children's activity/dance centres etc). My question actually was how do you apply it - to the second fee or the total fee? Does anyone actually know?

Simona
03-05-2014, 08:42 AM
It is indeed about staying competitive in my area. It's not about offering promotional offers as such, paying for two children is financially not viable for a lot of people and we need to make it affordable for parents. Yes two children are double the work but better that than no work!! Regardless, the 10% discount is applied by pretty much everyone I know in this area (childminders and children's activity/dance centres etc). My question actually was how do you apply it - to the second fee or the total fee? Does anyone actually know?

If most cms in your area apply the discount I would seek their advice so you can stay competitive with them

If any cm applies a discount they will all do it differently because each one of us is the financial director for our own business...what do you want to do?
what would be best for you and your business?

tulip0803
03-05-2014, 08:57 AM
When I used to offer a discount I applied it to the older child and only when they were both being cared for at the same time. SO the younger child was full rate and then when the older child came too I discounted that fee. I did this because the older sibling was normally in school so they did less hours and the parent would need the discount when they were both their together. I only did it only when they were both in as otherwise you are offering a discounted rate for one child and the parent is paying that rate and all other parents, with only one child each are paying full.

As Simona says there is no right or proper way to do it - it is entirely down to you.