PDA

View Full Version : Upstairs playroom

toddlers896
02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if anybody has an upstairs playroom and does it work?

When I first started childminding 2 years ago all the toys were in the garage and I brought a few boxes in each day but I felt the kids needed to have more choice so I turned my dining room into a playroom. the kids have a choice of whatever they want when they want but I think the more choice they have the more they tend to get bored and the more mess their is so I am Now contemplating having my dining room back and putting everything upstairs. I have a spare room up stairs which would be ideal but I just don't know if it would work. There would be the worry of the stairs, getting them all up their etc.

Oh I do wish I had a bigger house but hubby said no chance!! Funny thing is we have a four bedroom house and it's just me and hubby but their is more room upstairs than downstairs.

toddlers896
02-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Ignore my thread lol. I have found a thread very similar to mine and got lots of ideas and advice from that one x

ziggy
02-05-2014, 12:25 PM
How would it work if you needed to answer door or go down to kitchen for drinks etc? I spend most of the day in kitchen, thankfully playroom and toilet are next to kitchen. And wont it be awkward getting mindees up and down stairs when going out or playing in garden?

I'm sure others will be along with more help

toddlers896
02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
How would it work if you needed to answer door or go down to kitchen for drinks etc? I spend most of the day in kitchen, thankfully playroom and toilet are next to kitchen. And wont it be awkward getting mindees up and down stairs when going out or playing in garden?

I'm sure others will be along with more help

yea your right ziggy and after reading advice on another thread I have decided to stick as I am. cheers hun x

blue bear
03-05-2014, 06:40 AM
I would love a extra upstairs Lou ge so hubby and sons could relax and watch tv etc while I am working downstairs.wont really help your situation but if you have three spare bedrooms may e an option for you so you have more you space as such away from the mess downstairs?

FloraDora
03-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I have an upstairs 'den' it used to be our reading and listening to music room. The library remains but all the lower shelves are children's books and expedit units are now filled with toys and resources, the LP's have only a small space now!
It works really well, it means most of the resources are stored upstairs, in a room that can still be accessed by children, I have converted my bureau downstairs for the most liked so that they can access their favourites easily when playing downstairs I have a shelf under a dining room console table for our 'tray play' and I set up the book, markmaking, small world areas etc.... daily. Which takes 10 mins to put away at the end of the day. My big landing is a home corner role play area. The children choose where to play, but of course they both have to want to go to the den, which usually works. In the main, unless they request, we play in the living room and dining room down stairs first, outdoors and then after nap ( cots are in bedrooms) we play upstairs, if one wakes then the other plays quietly in the den...they love going upstairs and the 2 year old has gone from not being able to go up and down independently in any way to two feet on each step holding bannister as she does it so regularly. My DH answers doors as he is also retired or if I am in on my own And I am upstairs I just don't answer, friends don't call during my working days. I don't really do 'freeflow, its all in or out here as I can't have eyes in a room and a garden at the same time.
I like having this upstairs room where I can put everything and then just shut the door when I don't mind, like this weekend, family are visiting, it took about 20 mins to clear every childminding item to den, home back for a family weekend, we don't have to walk through a playroom to get to the garden. All the up and down stairs keeps me fit too!!