PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newbie Question

Elkie Mawdsley
02-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Hello

this may be a silly question, but I am a newbie so please forgive me.

I have a son, who is 7 months old. Is he still counted in my ratios for a particular day if he is not in my home (i.e being cared for by a relative?)

Thanks for your help

FussyElmo
02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Yes your children always count :thumbsup:

EYFS requirement 3.39 -
‘At any one time, childminders may care for a maximum of six children under the age of eight. The numbers include the childminder’s own children or any other children for whom they are responsible.’

Elkie Mawdsley
02-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks FussyElmo, just wasn't sure if this was the case if he was not with me at the time I was minding others.

To me it seems odd that he should be counted if he isn't here - as I would actually only potentially have 5 children here under 8 when I could otherwise have 6.

Guess I'll be confused for a little while until I get my head around everything.

line6
02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Sorry just seen this on a duplicate thread. I was also under the impression that our own children count in our numbers wherever they are. I have 2 under 8 at the moment and these are counted in my numbers at all times.

specks4
02-05-2014, 03:15 PM
If your baby isn't going to be with you on days childmind then your child wouldn't be included. Its the amount of children you have on each day but you might have to show what would happen if the person caring for your child couldn't do it.

Simona
02-05-2014, 07:30 PM
very confusing as this is a duplicate thread
Once again we are 'interpreting' the variations individually and looks like no one knows the answer...I will try to get it clarified elsewhere

Elkie...as I said in the other thread there is no harm in contacting Ofsted and see what they say or even the DfE ...if you feel like doing that? they write the EYFS so they are bound to know...

Elkie Mawdsley
03-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Thank you all.

I will let you know what Ofsted say :)

blue bear
03-05-2014, 06:51 AM
I've commented on other thread.

If you are getting advice from ofsted please do it. He mail so you have their answer in writing

Simona
03-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Thank you all.

I will let you know what Ofsted say :)

Good luck Elkie...I hope you get an answer

I want to know from Ofsted ...or in fact the DfE as they write the EYFS.....why when there is shortage of childcare, shortage of 2 year old places and acute shortage of care for disabled children (acute enough to warrant the DfE to raise the grant for those opening settings that will take them) ..... and holiday care ...they continues to put barriers in our way?