PDA

View Full Version : My inspection tips

Bushpig
24-07-2008, 10:18 PM
So I had my first grading inspection on Tuesday.. and was bowled over to be graded *outstanding*!!! I know the parents and kids are happy with everything, but I never expected that grading. It has given me extra confidence... and lets me know that all those late nights and weekends spent planning, assessing etc. etc. were not for nought :)

It started off in typical fashion... my little boy has not made a poo in his pants for 6 weeks.. and decides to do one JUST AS THE BUZZER rang.. the inspector! hehe.. so her 'hellos' to the kids were in the bathroom. She obviously is super with kids and they warmed to her immediately. She signed my Visitor Book at the door.

A few things stood out... :thumbsup:

She was impressed E (turns 3 next month) knew the fire drill well, and through the morning answered questions with her prompting - about what fruit I give him, what colour etc. She was clever in the way she asked him questions to find out if I did the things I say I do in my portfolio. She said she picks up very quickly if someone has put something out just for the inspection... and she could see the kids were happy and familiar with everything. My 1 year old knew what snails etc were... yay! ;)

I did a colouring activity using a variety of media... and then we brought in the wire duck from outside and 'pruned' it and watered it. She LOVED this. It is a wire duck in a flower pot from B&Q, with a shrub growing inside.. and you prune it so the shrub will be in the shape of a duck. It was a hot day and the duck was thirsty so we had to water it of course.

She loved the fact it mirrored our theme this month (farm animals), plus I was bringing the outside in. I do not have my own garden, so think this is quite important for the kids. We do have a large, mature communal garden which we love playing in. (Hubby is reading this over my shoulder and I do feel I should mention it was HIS idea :idea: to get the duck when we were lavender at B&Q) :littleangel:

When it was time for a snack E said 'Can I have an aeroplane again?' I explained to her that the day before, I had given him his grapes in a bowl and they had fallen in the shape of an aeroplane... he saw this, not me.. and it was not deliberate, it was his super little imagination :) He then bit a grape on the side and said 'I have just eaten a wing!' haha.

So I made up a bowl of carrots and grapes and this time cheated a bit, winking at her... and placed the grapes in the shape of an aeroplane... his eyes lit up :) The inspector loved this.

Little K had put her 'babies' (the dolls) to bed with a blanket over them and she commented on this too. She loved the big beaded necklace K was wearing and liked the fact I make jewellery and get the kids involved in making pieces too.

I did the home boxes at the front door, and put the kids labelled suncream, hats, individual artwork etc. in them.

I have made a start on my EYFS observations and she loved what I have done so far and gave some helpful pointers. She said planning and assessments were great. (They are BIG on their admin!). She checked that all the attendance register/permission slips etc. were signed.

She had a good look around everywhere except the main bedroom (the bed WAS made in case she should venture in!) :littleangel: and did not ask to see my first aid kit.

She commented on the lightness of the rooms, lack of smell, and that I had used the interior space well.

Loads more thinking about it, but that's a few things!
Keen to see her report!

donnahay0
24-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the tips, will keep them in mind

Cazz
24-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the tips and congratulations on your "outstanding"! :clapping:

Carole x

sarah707
25-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Thank you for sharing... it's interesting that she should comment on you bringing the outside in... :D

Pedagog
25-07-2008, 06:57 AM
First of all congratulations.

Thanks for sharing.

Bushpig
25-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks all :)

hbomb1
25-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the tips Jen, and well done on achieving an 'outstanding'.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
25-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the tips

Love the duck idea I want one now for myself never mind the kids hahaha

You did really well - congratulations again and thanks for sharing

Angel xx

Bushpig
25-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone!
:laughing:

Bushpig
25-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Thank you for sharing... it's interesting that she should comment on you bringing the outside in... :D

As I live in a second floor flat she was impressed with 'bringing the outside in'... we do have a huge communal garden, but the projects we do ourself stay on our balcony. Maybe many people who have flats do not have gardening projects for the kids? I don't know.

I have to say, I thought me not having my own garden with loads of outside play equipment, would mark me down, but it didn't thankfully.

Spangles
25-07-2008, 02:05 PM
that's fantastic, thank you for that. Makes me feel very inadequate!

Just wondered what she meant by 'lack of smell'? Are childminder's houses usually smelly?

Minstrel
25-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I was gonna ask the same thing?
what a strange thing to comment on:rolleyes:

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Just wondered what she meant by 'lack of smell'? Are childminder's houses usually smelly?

I asked her and she meant there was no poo smell in the air. Maybe some minders dispose of nappies inside? :eek:

Mollymop
26-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Thank you very much for sharing xxx

Mollymop
26-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Yeah I was wondering that too. I am getting worried as how do I get rid of smells, not bad smell, but there is always a smell of some sort in my house. :eek:

Monkey1
27-07-2008, 06:13 AM
I,m off to buy a duck!!!!!

hillbilly
27-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Well done jen, can I come and stay at your house, it sounds such a lovely place to be!

My inspection wasnt such a nice experience. She was very thorough, which is fine, checked all permission slips, paperwork, etc and asked the children questions, commented on how she really liked my planning and children's learning files etc, so I was thinking all was going well.

Then at the end she said, 'Im giving you outstanding for three areas, but only good for the Stay Safe area. This is because when you were changing a child's nappy, the child dropped their toy and you picked it up and gave it back to them. This is cross infection, and therefore I can ony give you a good grade overall'

I was really miffed and tried to explain that infact it would only be crossinfection if I gave the toy to ANOTHER child, if I had picked up anything from the child whose nappy I was changing I couldnt 're-infect' her, and that giving it back to her was safer than leaving her to go and wash my hands before picking it up! I was really annoyed. Although I could sort of see her point of view, it really annoys me that all my other outstanding work has been overlooked and im left with a good.

Anyway, moan over! well done Jenni!

Bushpig
27-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the lovely compliment. :)

Oh heck, I would have been miffed too!!!! :(

I agree with you about the toy... she is being overboard imo. Goodness me. Has she sent you her report yet? When she does, ask her about this. I would!

Bushpig
27-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Well done jen, can I come and stay at your house, it sounds such a lovely place to be!

My inspection wasnt such a nice experience. She was very thorough, which is fine, checked all permission slips, paperwork, etc and asked the children questions, commented on how she really liked my planning and children's learning files etc, so I was thinking all was going well.

Then at the end she said, 'Im giving you outstanding for three areas, but only good for the Stay Safe area. This is because when you were changing a child's nappy, the child dropped their toy and you picked it up and gave it back to them. This is cross infection, and therefore I can ony give you a good grade overall'

I was really miffed and tried to explain that infact it would only be crossinfection if I gave the toy to ANOTHER child, if I had picked up anything from the child whose nappy I was changing I couldnt 're-infect' her, and that giving it back to her was safer than leaving her to go and wash my hands before picking it up! I was really annoyed. Although I could sort of see her point of view, it really annoys me that all my other outstanding work has been overlooked and im left with a good.

Anyway, moan over! well done Jenni!

ps: I have a guestbed ;)

Tatia
31-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks JenniPenni! Some great ideas! :thumbsup:

Bushpig
31-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Thank you :)

Sadie's Mum
31-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Well done and thank you for sharing your tips :thumbsup:

Bushpig