PDA

View Full Version : child wont go into the garden.....

Rickers83
30-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Next door have workmen in digging the garden, not particularly loud, but you cam see them through the fence .
Lo 23 months screams hysterically whenever i try to take him outside, you would think i was torturing him!

Thing is its a lovely afternoon & i have 4 other los 22 months to 6 years want to play out & I cant be in both places at once.

I'm currently stood by the back door so I can see the ones outside & he is stood in my kitchen whimpering

They are having an extension so work will be going in until July, i cant stay indoors til then!!

Mouse
30-04-2014, 03:10 PM
I think I'd carry on doing what you're doing - standing at the door watching inside & out at the same time. With no pressure to go outside, lo might actually decide to go out anyway.

Rickers83
30-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I hope so..... This is day 3 so far!! :panic:

sheilarobb
30-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Thats exactly what I would do- wait until the child is ready. Children are naturally curious and he will eventually go outside when he is ready. Be patience!!

sing-low
30-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Maybe he thinks they're going to start drilling and is scared of the noise. Good luck! Think you've found best solution. You could also take his favourite toys out to try and persuade him to go out.

mama2three
30-04-2014, 03:30 PM
can you cover the fence with something temporarily? even lining paper for the kids to paint might be enough so he can see them ass easily...

QualityCare
30-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Would he join in with a lets copy the workmen activity, have play tools out side pile of earth (if garden allows) to dig in and build houses with bricks on, painting the fence with decorators brushes and water. Get friendly with them and ask if they have a couple of hard hats you can borrow.

KateA
30-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Could you pop round with kids so he can meet "bob the builder" may be meeting the builders may make noisy less scary. Good luck

x

Rickers83
30-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Where he can see them there is a top panel missing so couldn't really cover it

I've tried allsorts to get him out there, carrying him, sitting with him, toys..... He just screams blue murder & clings to me.

The workmen even drove the digger into my garden last week for the children to sit on & have a picture..... Lo screamed and wouldn't go near

His mum doesn't understand it as his dads a builder & drives a digger & hes seen him at work!

I guess ill just have to stand in the kitchen doorway fir the next 2 months! :laughing:

sarah707
04-05-2014, 07:33 PM
If Ofsted came to inspect they'd want to see you interacting with the children in the garden though :( so while you are meeting one child's needs you are not meeting the needs of ht group...

is there a way of making the lo feel safe outside? Maybe in a cosy area like a tent with favourite teddy, toys, books etc... worth a try x

hectors house
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
I had a little one who hated being out in the garden so I made sure my utility (where the back door to garden is) was safe, gave him some toys and positioned myself in the garden so I could see him and the children outside - he overcame his fears eventually. You have done everything you can to put this child's needs and fears first, but the other children need your attention too.

Rubybubbles
05-05-2014, 07:07 AM
I have one who hates the noise of grass cutters, so when we are out and I hear the lawn mowers I cring

A few weeks ago we went to a lovely woods with a park and had a picnic. All was going well until a lumberjack cranked up hi chain saw and started cutting

I was this thread with interest as I completely understand!!

blue bear
05-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Would popping him in the pram help? Use a windbreak or something to create a safe zone. Would he respond to music, maybe some earphones on to distract him from the noise of the builders?
Go to the park instead?
Musical instruments to bash to make his own noise?
Good luck I don't envy you :panic:

Tazmin68
05-05-2014, 12:06 PM
I have to do something similar and have one 3 year old in lounge with toys and other older children outside and I am by patio door so can interact with all. I have not choice here as 3 year old has a medical condition of which a side effect of medication is photo sensitive skin and cannot go outside in sunlight and I put awning out over patio so child can go near patio doors and windows. Fortunately child is a funded 3 year old child and comes 10-3 three days a week dusting term time and parent pays for 2 days in school holidays and leaves this summer it can be quite restrictive.