PDA

View Full Version : Mmm interesting feedback from an inspection

toddlers896
30-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Was talking to a childminder this morning who had her first graded inspection last week. Apparently childminders are doing too much and too many if us are under the impression that everything has to be written down. This was from the inspectors mouth. She said there is no need to write everything down. The 2 year progress check is compulsory and must be written down but as for the child's progress, this only has to be written if you can't explain how a child is progressing and if you think there is a problem with the child's development then it must be discussed with the parents. Mmmm sounds good to me !
If I thought I could get away with this then I would definately scrap learning journals but no two inspectors say the same, however saying that it does not state in the statutory framework that we have to do learning journals.
This job would be so much easier if this was the case, no worrying about photos etc.

jackie 7
30-04-2014, 12:24 PM
But if you got a different inspector they would ask for different things.

hectors house
30-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I still think that if Ofsted and the DfE want us to follow the EYFS they should provide all observation forms, summary forms, 2 year check forms etc and we should have training on how to complete them, instead of it all be left for Ofsted inspectors, childminders and local authorities to interpret it in different ways - because at the moment whatever you do it will be wrong!

Simona
30-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Was talking to a childminder this morning who had her first graded inspection last week. Apparently childminders are doing too much and too many if us are under the impression that everything has to be written down. This was from the inspectors mouth. She said there is no need to write everything down. The 2 year progress check is compulsory and must be written down but as for the child's progress, this only has to be written if you can't explain how a child is progressing and if you think there is a problem with the child's development then it must be discussed with the parents. Mmmm sounds good to me !
If I thought I could get away with this then I would definately scrap learning journals but no two inspectors say the same, however saying that it does not state in the statutory framework that we have to do learning journals.
This job would be so much easier if this was the case, no worrying about photos etc.

I agree that some cms go beyond requirements and create far too much paperwork and what, in my view, is additional 'just in case'...if I did what some do I would have to add hundreds of extra bits...my view of course

if it's not in the EYFS it is not required and Truss' main aim was to reduce it not increase it
the Progress Check is a different matter because it is both in EYFS 2012 and further clarified in EYFS 2014 due to the changes coming in 2015 on page 13-14...I take it is a statutory requirement

Is this another individual interpretation by an inspector? possibly so and I am following these with interest because the issue of inspectors interpretations is down to their training and this has been flagged up at OBC and the new blog

A new blog… | Ex Inspectors 4 Early Years (http://exis4eys.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/a-new-blog/)

Please input your views in the blog if you feel 'your' interpretation of EYFS is different from the inspector and bring it up at OBC

wee_elf
30-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Yep your right there is just to continuity with inspectors :-(