PDA

View Full Version : Coach trip - WWYD?

sing-low
29-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I've just had an email from my DD's pre-school about a pre-school trip out. Sounds like lots of fun - a local wildlife place. They are asking for as many parents as possible to go too (understandable) but I'll also have an 18 month LO with me that day. Taking her isn't the problem (will obviously ask parents' permission) but I'm a bit worried about going on a coach with her not in a car seat. I know coaches are exempt etc. etc. but I'm still responsible for her safety plus what about insurance etc? Seems like a bit of a minefield. I've suggested to pre-school that I just drive but the fun of the trip is at least partly the journey which we will miss. The other alternative is to lug a car seat onto the coach. Any thoughts? Has anyone ever taken LOs on a coach trip (with/without car seats?)

Chatterbox Childcare
29-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Some of my 18 month olds are still in the first stage car seat - could you use this as they have lap belts on the coaches now?

MAWI
29-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Is it possible for your daughter to travel on the coach with staff/other parents and you drive with Mindee. Or use a car seat that can be used with lap belt.

muffins
29-04-2014, 09:15 PM
I think I would go in the car and meet them there. Surely your dd could go on the coach as she would if you didn't go any?

Plus what about a buggy, could you take that on the coach too?

Smiley
29-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I would go in my car and meet them there.

tulip0803
29-04-2014, 09:45 PM
The coaches in this area that do school trips are all fitted with 3 point belts. I have been on many trips where parents take car seats for LOs. Check with the school what type of belts the coach will be fitted with.

If not as the others said follow in the car

primula
30-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Can you take the time off and go without them?!

rickysmiths
30-04-2014, 07:07 AM
I used to allow a days holiday for trips like this with my children so I could be with them. I used to allow a day off for each of them through Primary school so I could go as a parent helper on one trip each a year. That was why I became a cm so I had a certain amount of flexibility to do these things. I went to Assemblies, Nursery productions etc.

Last year I took a day off to go to my daughters final presentation at Music College and I took a day off to go to one Open Day each when they were both looking at Uni and then I went to the Candidate Day of their first choice Uni with them.

For me these milestones are one offs are one offs. I must say I wouldn't even dream of taking a mindee on a school trip and I wouldn't follow the coach either because half of the fun is the going and coming and sitting with your child which you would be able to do even on the coach with a mindee in tow. If I couldn't have a day off I wouldn't go. Having said that I went on my daughter's pre school day out and it was great fun.

FloraDora
30-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I would never have allowed a parent to accompany a school trip with younger children.
The whole point is for the parent to be an extra pair of hands and eyes which they can't be if they are looking after a younger sibling or LO. Plus school insurance covers adult as a helper but not a pre school age child.

sing-low
30-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone! Really helpful.

Floradora, you make an interesting point about insurance. I must check that with pre-school. I won't be the only parent on the trip so 'extra pair of hands' bit is minimised. In fact, all parents are encouraged to go and siblings warmly welcomed. When I'm minding I see LOs as part of the family - they come to assemblies, plays, events in the same way my kids do for their siblings.

loocyloo
30-04-2014, 01:31 PM
when our preschool go on a trip, they encourage parents/siblings etc to attend and always invite me, along with mindees too! sometimes I have a mindee at the preschool, sometimes I don't! they say any child that has gone with 'their adult' is the responsibility of their adult, and they are only responsible for the children that have specifically gone with a member of staff and no adult of their own.

its good fun. we've been on a coach altogether ( along with car seats ), all got the town bus together, and last year, all met independently at the nature park. ( some lift sharing was arranging! )

sing-low, I too see my mindees as an extension of my family and they come along to everything!