PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with what to write

JCrakers
29-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Back from my week off and feeling 100% again so onwards and upwards :D

Anyways.....

I have been looking after a 4yr old since beginning of January 2 days a week. My LA suggests that I do an EAR (early assessment review) on a child after they have been with me around 6 weeks to get a base to work on. So it's overdue.

The problem I'm having is that mindee had some toileting issues so I've been working with parents to resolve these. We have done really well but this means I haven't really been able to see anything else in regards to 4 areas of Dev. I'm pretty clued up on PD,PSED and CL but struggling with the other 4 areas as I've not actually seen what she can do. (mainly Literacy and Maths)
The toileting has taken over and its a huge hurdle to overcome, she became unsettled for a few weeks and is now only really getting back to herself.

So, how can I write a EAR/Progress summary when I haven't gathered any info. Mindee leaves for school in July so I've only really got another 6 weeks with her..... :panic:

I suppose I can either delay it and gather info or just do it and be very, very vague in areas.

hectors house
29-04-2014, 03:35 PM
I would write up the areas you know about now and just concentrate on the doing observations (planned or child led) on the other areas for the next 2 weeks (4 sessions), yes it will be done a few weeks after your LA advised but surely it's better to be accurate rather than guess. Glad to hear she is a bit more settled now, surely that counts for something.

natlou82
29-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I just wanted to say I'm glad you are back to feeling 100%. I'm so new to this, the only thing I can think of is to get parents input on the areas that you are missing, find out what the child is able to do already in those areas and work on any gaps for the next few weeks :)

smurfette
29-04-2014, 07:01 PM
No advice as we don't have to do this in Ireland but glad to see you are feeling better and also the little ones toilet ing issues are improvising, I remember you posting about it.. Well done xx

blue bear
29-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I'd do a prime area assessment for now and an overall assessment as a transposition report at the end of term.