PDA

View Full Version : 2 year progress check

chezzagriff
29-04-2014, 01:19 PM
2 of the children I mind have just turned 2 and i don't really understand the 2 year check. is it just i write about their progress in the prime areas? also do i have to send a copy to anybody? i have heard you give parents and health visitor a copy. lastly where can i get the sheets that you record this on?
thanks all

hectors house
29-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Our local authority have a sheet called "A unique child" on their website for us to download and fill in - it's just a form with headings of Prime Areas with the age categories from Development Matters or Early Years Outcomes - write a couple of lines under each area and highlight which age range that child is currently at. Our form also has space for Characteristics of learning on too. May be a good idea to phone your local Health visitors and find out at what age they do checks in your area, in my town they do them at 2 1/2 so leave it until then as 6 months makes a lot of difference. I print off a spare copy for the parents to give the Health visitor, sometimes they want it, sometimes they don't. Make sure you have a meeting with the parents to discuss the 2 year check and get them to sign it and add any comments - then photo copy form for your records and parents have one to keep.

Have just been told today this this is same form to use for transition to school.

Simona
30-04-2014, 05:17 PM
2 of the children I mind have just turned 2 and i don't really understand the 2 year check. is it just i write about their progress in the prime areas? also do i have to send a copy to anybody? i have heard you give parents and health visitor a copy. lastly where can i get the sheets that you record this on?
thanks all

You may also find this publication useful as it has some examples of what you need to do...I think most cms have printed it for guidnace
It is still current and came out at same time as EYFS 2012 and, as far as we know, will stay in place for EYFS 2014

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/A-Know-How-Guide.pdf

Do you know any cm in your area who could support you and show you what she does?...I know it can be daunting to do something new but it is not difficult

Hope this helps and come back if you need more advice
Good luck

chezzagriff
14-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the help. I have done it now and I think it's correct! One of the childminders in my network have confirmed it's very similar to hers except she does all areas not just the prime but I thought it was just the prime areas. Also she said she does all areas progress check again every 6 months. Does anyone else do this?