PDA

View Full Version : Childrens interests

toddlers896
29-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Do you find that some kids don't seem to have a particular interest and are in to everything. I have one that gets very bored with arts and crafts, although she likes it she gets bored and will say right finished now after 2 minutes. The only thing I can say she has had an interest in over the last couple of years Is dolls, kitchens and singing so it's difficult to follow her interests. I tend to just end up doing free play. Does anybody else feel like this sometimes or am I doing something wrong.

sarah707
29-04-2014, 06:23 PM
We can develop new interests if we leave out little 'invitations to play' for them.

A fairy house - a dolls tea set - a basket of spinning and rolling toys - not everything all at once but a few new ideas will stimulate their investigations and excite them to learn new things :D

Dragonfly
29-04-2014, 06:30 PM
I have a few that have no particular interest. Will flit from one thing to another ( I think to many toys nowadays,the fewer resources the more active they are with what they have to play with).Good answer Sarah but if I leave something new out/set up they play for 5-10 mins max and they flit again. Unless we are doing things as a group or actually playing with them.

line6
29-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I have one that is only really interested in cars/trains and has about a 3 minute attention span with anything and everything. It's hard work filling the day sometimes as I feel like I need to constantly offer different things for him to do. He's just turned 3 and is happy to amuse himself tho so I just tend to leave him to it, join in with what he's doing where I can to try to expand on it (colours/counting/etc) and offer the odd new thing now and then.

shortstuff
29-04-2014, 08:02 PM
you can make great fun from dolly clothes etc too. have outfits and challenge LO to make an outfit which matches, all items the same colour. Then the opposite, make each item a different colour. You can also do sizes too. Most dolls seem to vary in size.

I am currently doing something along these lines with a LO who only wants to play with the character cars from lightening McQueen. The fav phrase at the moment is 'too big'.

sing-low
30-04-2014, 06:59 AM
We can develop new interests if we leave out little 'invitations to play' for them. A fairy house - a dolls tea set - a basket of spinning and rolling toys - not everything all at once but a few new ideas will stimulate their investigations and excite them to learn new things :D
I love that idea of 'invitations to play'!

jackie 7
30-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Most of mine just wander from box to box. I set out toys and they are tossed around and they go back to toy kitchen. I have 1 girl who hardly plays with anything just wants to get the others to run with her. Had to put buggies away as she ran up and down hall. Did lovely set with building site in 1 room and town in the other. Lo arrived and stood still dribbling(does this when cross) for 1/2 hour. In the end he played with kitchen. I set something up 1-2 days a week and play with it trying to get them interested.

toddlers896
30-04-2014, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=sarah707;1359436]We can develop new interests if we leave out little 'invitations to play' for them.

A fairy house - a dolls tea set - a basket of spinning and rolling toys - not everything all at once but a few new ideas will stimulate their investigations and excite them to learn new things :

Perhaps I need to move my toy room around a bit Sarah as she is probably bored seeing the same things everyday x