PDA

View Full Version : Question about deposits and settling in

smurfette
28-04-2014, 10:33 AM
So the situation I had recently with dad being ott about wanting id from me made me think about deposits in the case of a placement breaking down during the first four weeks.. I ask for a deposit, refundable only if I cannot offer the place and to come off last months fees. I have four weeks settling in period where either party can give immediate notice and wondered if I had decided I couldn't work with dad would I have to give deposit back? Or if he had decided he wasn't happy with what I was giving him for id?! Obviously I would have held the place for them and be left with nothing, but likewise they would
In that case have to find other care and might need to give a deposit? Just wondering what I can write into my contract to cover this eventuality (I do my own)

QualityCare
28-04-2014, 10:57 AM
I see a deposit as much the same thing as a retainer, both are used to keep a space open, a deposit before placement and a retainer during long periods of absence once the placement has started and therefore a deposit is non-refundable unless l decide to not take on the child. On my contracts l just have, a £** non refundable deposit has been taken to secure your childs place to start on xx date, should you postpone the start date full fee will will be expected. If for any reason l am unable to take your child then the deposit will be returned.

smurfette
28-04-2014, 11:12 AM
I see a deposit as much the same thing as a retainer, both are used to keep a space open, a deposit before placement and a retainer during long periods of absence once the placement has started and therefore a deposit is non-refundable unless l decide to not take on the child. On my contracts l just have, a £** non refundable deposit has been taken to secure your childs place to start on xx date, should you postpone the start date full fee will will be expected. If for any reason l am unable to take your child then the deposit will be returned.

Thanks for reply. So you would keep deposit if for any reason it didn't work out during settling in period?

QualityCare
28-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes because in that time l have potentially lost income, if during the settling in time it was my decision not to have child l might give it back if parent asked (never been in that situation) also l don't deduct it from the last weeks fees when child leaves again that is my income until child starts.

smurfette
28-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Yes because in that time l have potentially lost income, if during the settling in time it was my decision not to have child l might give it back if parent asked (never been in that situation) also l don't deduct it from the last weeks fees when child leaves again that is my income until child starts.

Thanks! So you don't refund it at all? Interesting .,, I use mine cos I had someone leave
Without paying at the end so it's my protection but In reality it's long gone by then and I am working the last week or two weeks for nothing really! Interesting how we all do it differently!

QualityCare
28-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks! So you don't refund it at all? Interesting .,, I use mine cos I had someone leave
Without paying at the end so it's my protection but In reality it's long gone by then and I am working the last week or two weeks for nothing really! Interesting how we all do it differently!

No nothing gets given back, if l wanted to keep it as the last month/week fees l would ask for double fee for the first payment.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't think you can keep the money if you were giving notice. A settling in period is exactly that and if it didn't work out how is the deposit money yours?

What does your contract state? If he finished the settling in time and gave you notice on the first day of the next month you would have to give care for no money.

smurfette
07-05-2014, 08:01 AM
I don't think you can keep the money if you were giving notice. A settling in period is exactly that and if it didn't work out how is the deposit money yours? What does your contract state? If he finished the settling in time and gave you notice on the first day of the next month you would have to give care for no money.

It says non refundable deposit if child doesn't start. Only give back if I can no longer offer place, and comes off last few weeks care when they leave

bunyip
07-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi murphf. :waving:

Is this the sort of thing you're wanting?

No agreement to provide a service shall exist until both parties have agreed and signed a contract. I may require the payment of a deposit and/or retainer in order to reserve or hold a place for future use. In addition to any other payment, I normally require parents to pay a deposit of ##Euros to secure a place. I may request a deposit of more than ##Euros and/or charge a retainer fee to hold a place available for a child at a later date which is more than four weeks away from the date the contract is signed. This deposit (and retainer, if charged) will not be refunded if the parents fail to take up the place on the agreed date; if they terminate the contract before the end of the four week settling in period; or if I terminate the contract within that period for reasons of unacceptable conduct by the parent or child (e.g. threatening behaviour, racial abuse, or other unacceptable behaviour.) If I terminate the contract within the four week settling in period for any other reason I shall refund the deposit (but not the retainer), less any outstanding payment for fees which may be due to me. Otherwise, at the end of the four week settling in period, I shall count the deposit as credit toward the next payment of fees. [To explain: I regret the need to do so, but I have been obliged to introduce this deposit to offset the costs, time and paperwork that I have to undertake in preparing to admit a child. I have had instances where I have done all this work and incurred costs, only to be let down by parents at the last minute.] A retainer will not be refunded under any circumstances, as this is a charge for holding an available place which could otherwise have been used by another family. Childcare vouchers [your local eqiuivalent] and third-party funding agreements will not be accepted in payment of deposits or retainers. Parents should refer to [relevant tax/benefits organisation for Ireland] any questions they have about making tax/benefits claims in relation to deposits/retainers.

......edited for your own slant on how/when to refund deposits, of course.

smurfette
07-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Hi murphf. :waving: Is this the sort of thing you're wanting? ......edited for your own slant on how/when to refund deposits, of course.

That's perfect bunyip thanks! Too late for this one but will incorporate it into future ones.. Still unsure about id dad .. I need to give notice today of my two weeks holidays in July which I told them I probably wouldn't be taking (or at least for not as long!) and he asked today about scratch on Los thigh and a cut on his finger.. Although he knew he was crawling around the garden yesterday!

smurfette
07-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Seems fine., mum very happy with how he was today, took news of hols very well, said no problem