PDA

View Full Version : Do you have curtain things you look for in potential children = you wont have them?

KateA
28-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Hello,

I was just wondering with have a list of behaviors etc you look for in potential parents and mindee that you are not prepared to work with?

For me its

rude parents who constantly talk down to you, bad mouth past Childminders they may have had etc
a child who does not leave parent side or constantly checks to see where they are
mindee you can not self sooth over age of 6 months or are still being breast fed.

I have learnt from past mistakes so wont make them again.

x

AliceK
28-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Not anything particularly in a child but more so the parents. If a parent doesn't seem to have any discipline with their child whilst on the visit or if the parent is rude or talks down to either myself or one of my children then they are shown the door pretty quickly.
If I get a good feeling with the parents then I'm usually pretty sure I can deal with whatever a child might throw at me :thumbsup:

xxxx

munch149
28-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Sounds like your pretty strict but can't say I blame you. As above I would say it's more about the parent than the child although adults don't always show there true colours in my experience

lisa1968
28-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I always go on gut feeling and I'm never wrong!
I recently had a mum approach me at school to enquire about childcare.I had a real gut feeling about her,so told her I was full.She went with another 'minder and has been awful-non payment,late pick ups,sending child ill,sending child with full nappy every morning.........
As someone else said,if the parents are ok,I can pretty much deal with the children!!

KateA
28-04-2014, 11:17 AM
When it comes to really young children I am, I recently had a client the parents were nice but child was 14 months old need to be held all day as this is what mum does, had to be rocked or fed to sleep had constantly cried if did not get this own way i had constant temper tantums with him which would last for hours.

Sounds like your pretty strict but can't say I blame you. As above I would say it's more about the parent than the child although adults don't always show there true colours in my experience

loocyloo
28-04-2014, 02:02 PM
parents have to be on my 'wavelength' from the word go! I can usually tell on initial contact how 'in tune' we are and sometimes meet parents and then think, 'this isn't going to work'.

I had one set of parents who came across as being on my wavelength, but then turned out not to be, but workable with. they left, and then they asked to come back and like a numpty I said yes! ( my rationale was that 'I've dealt with them once, I can do it again!') but they did my head in and really were not on the same planet as me!

ideally I like children to be able to self soothe/settle, and to be being encouraged to be independent.

generally though, its the parents that I have to 'gel' with, as in 25plus years of childcare, there have only been a couple of children that didn't fit!