PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions - Respite Care & 2 Year Check

Smiley2
26-04-2014, 09:02 PM
RESPITE CARE QUESTION
I've been providing respite care and a 5yr old child comes 2 x month on a weekend (10 hours in total). The parent receives funding for this. The parent has made it clear that I am providing her with respite care. The child is at special school, full time.

It's my understanding that I don't have to follow the EYFS when the child is with me, as I'm providing the parent with the respite care. Also if the child's at school full time, I would have thought a weekend is 'down time'. The child comes, we go out, we play, my child's friends come over (all similar ages) and the child gets to interact with 'mainstream' children. The child clearly enjoys the time here and I've seen very few 'meltdowns' or challenging behaviour.

For the parent to receive funding the childminder (me) had to be Ofsted registered...hence my question below...

I just wonder if Ofsted would have the same view. I've been inspected and mentioned a SEN child comes, but I wasn't asked to show any learning journeys etc (good, because I haven't done any!) It just feels a bit of a grey area for me about what is expected of me...any advice, or anyone do anything similar to me?

2 YEAR CHECK QUESTION
I have a child who will be 30mths in May. I haven't done a 2 year check before and thought when the child was 2.5yrs would be a good time to do the check. Only when I spoke to Mum about doing the check (I mentioned it in March) and briefly went over what it involved, I said it should be sent to the Health Visitor to coincide with the 2 year check. Only to be told that the child had seen the HV in December (child was 25mths). So my question is, is it ok to do my 2 year check and give it to the parent - does it need to go anywhere else? The child is not behind at all, but in some areas is ahead (speech particularly)

Thanks!

gef918
27-04-2014, 10:15 AM
2 YEAR CHECK QUESTION
I have a child who will be 30mths in May. I haven't done a 2 year check before and thought when the child was 2.5yrs would be a good time to do the check. Only when I spoke to Mum about doing the check (I mentioned it in March) and briefly went over what it involved, I said it should be sent to the Health Visitor to coincide with the 2 year check. Only to be told that the child had seen the HV in December (child was 25mths). So my question is, is it ok to do my 2 year check and give it to the parent - does it need to go anywhere else? The child is not behind at all, but in some areas is ahead (speech particularly)

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Do the 2 year check and give to parents. It would be there responsibility to share with hv anyway.

Regarding respite care, I'm not sure. If you do the same for the child that you would for any other 5 year old, I would think that's okay. Make sure you show working in partnership with parents and school!