PDA

View Full Version : Safeguarding issue

Kaybee
26-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Hi I am a new childminder and been open 8 months now. I have an assistant (my daughter) who has a lot of experience and qualifications. One Mindee who is 2yrs gets picked up and he often plays up by trying to do things he knows are not permitted during the day. (Climbing stairs, pulling up flowers, pinching me, trying to open the front door and generally trashing everything in sight) I do the usual and tell him thats not how we behave etc and usually to a response from the parent 'Oh aren't you a pickle!' I am generally glad when he has left my setting. His parents walk him to and from my setting and do not have a pushchair, reins or wrist strap and they let him run into the road. This to me is a serious safeguarding issue but because he has left my setting can I act on it? I have said while handing over 'Now you must hold daddies hand and not run into the road because you can get hurt' but his dad just says if I hold his hand he has a tantrum! What would you all do in this situation?:(

FloraDora
26-04-2014, 08:20 AM
I would do a focus on road safety to highlight dangers, teach safe crossing of road etc..involve parents - perhaps a chart and they record 'safe crossing ' moments on the way to and from you? Go on a walk that involves crossing the road lots of times...practise being safe.
Ask school crossing person to talk to you and LO's reinforcing importance of keeping safe.
Set up a road in garden with crossing lady role play type stimulus, buggies etc...
Your local road safety officer might have resources you could borrow...a pretend pelican crossing.
You know you have done your best to educate child and parents then.

Think website has some resources:
Think! Education - Early years and Primary - Home page (http://think.direct.gov.uk/education/early-years-and-primary/)

Rubybubbles
26-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Argh

If the little boy won't hand dad's hand then dad needs to make him! Grr makes me so mad parents like this!!

I would go with what floradora linked too (they have some great stuff on there)

You say your new to childminding? Keep firm but fair! Some of the children I look after are Angels here but little monsters when going home!! Good luck

Kiddleywinks
26-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Argh

If the little boy won't hand dad's hand then dad needs to make him! Grr makes me so mad parents like this!!

I would go with what floradora linked too (they have some great stuff on there)

You say your new to childminding? Keep firm but fair! Some of the children I look after are Angels here but little monsters when going home!! Good luck

I too was wondering who the adult was...?
I would go with floradora's suggestions and educate the child, some parents are beyond helping :rolleyes:

Tulip
26-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Some very good tips posted above. Myself I would put reins on him and go out for a walk (one to one) to get him used to it. I would keep the reins very relaxed at first and follow his pace. Once mastered, parent can see that it works and continue. He could have the reins on just prior to parent coming to make the transition easier. Maybe put the reins on him in the house and tuck the extra harness in to get him used to having it on before that first walk. x

FloraDora
26-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Another thought!

I play stop and go games, so that LO's understand the language. Also introduce walk and run, slow and fast - sometimes toddlers keep running because they don't understand the words we are using to keep them safe.

Stop. Go! (Toddler Games) - Toddler Activities (http://www.sweethappylife.com/2011/activities/fun-activities/stop-go-toddler-game/)

Toddler Approved!: Stop and Go! (http://www.toddlerapproved.com/2010/01/stop-and-go.html)