PDA

View Full Version : has anyone minded a child who hasnt had any vaccinations?

ziggy
25-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I babysit for a lady at her house but we are thinking of me having baby one day a week here. She has just mentioned baby (aged 14months) isnt vaccinated. Now I dont have a problem with this but she thinks other parents may have.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this before?

I remember a parent in a nursery in England told us her children's vaccinations were all up to date then her sister told us they had never had any!!!!!

HTSMumma
25-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Do you have any young babies in your care? Would you be happy taking this child to a soft play (etc) where they would potentially expose themselves to young babies and pregnant women? How would you know if this child has been exposed and therefore carrying viruses that could transfer to a baby who is too young to vaccinate?
All questions you'd have to ask yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't take a child who hasn't been vaccinated, and I see no reason not to vaccinate.

HTSMumma
25-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Sorry, didn't really answer your question... No, haven't come across this before, but if someone asked me to take on an unvaccinated child, I wouldn't.

clareelizabeth1
25-04-2014, 11:39 AM
I was unable to have a few vaccines due to allergy. My doctor told me that although it meant I was slightly more at risk than those that have them it ultimately doesn't matter as they vaccinate the masses so that those who are at risk but can't have a vaccine are still protected by the bugs not being readily available to pick up. I would of thought that it is only the child herself at risk. But maybe ring up your doctor just to check

ziggy
25-04-2014, 04:01 PM
thanks, I feel it is the parents choice with regard to vaccinations and feeding but will check with social services (no ofsted here) to see if they have rules about it.

Do I mention to other parents? this mother suggested that I do

watford wizz
25-04-2014, 04:06 PM
This may be for religious reasons and you could be on dodgy ground if you refuse to take the child x

AliceK
25-04-2014, 04:13 PM
thanks, I feel it is the parents choice with regard to vaccinations and feeding but will check with social services (no ofsted here) to see if they have rules about it.

Do I mention to other parents? this mother suggested that I do

I would take the child on as it could be seen as discrimination if you don't based purely on the fact that they haven't had their vaccinations???? Obviously parent needs to be made well aware of your sickness policy / exclusions etc. I also would not mention it to other parents, surely it's confidential even if the parent has said you can.
I delayed my DS's MMR as it was around the time that they were linking it to autism etc. I delayed it and seriously considered not letting him have it so I do have some sympathy for parents who for whatever reason decide they do not want to vaccinate.

xxxx

HTSMumma
25-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Sure, there are some medical reasons for not vaccinating, but aren't unvaccinated children and adults potentially causing outbreaks such as the recent measles outbreak?
I'm genuinely asking as I'm a bit unsure.

I would feel very uneasy taking on an unvaccinated child. Lots to think about and research by the sounds of things.

This forum is an absolute godsend for childminders. Makes me ask questions about my service I wouldn't have thought to ask before.

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Sure, there are some medical reasons for not vaccinating, but aren't unvaccinated children and adults potentially causing outbreaks such as the recent measles outbreak?
I'm genuinely asking as I'm a bit unsure.

I would feel very uneasy taking on an unvaccinated child. Lots to think about and research by the sounds of things.

This forum is an absolute godsend for childminders. Makes me ask questions about my service I wouldn't have thought to ask before.

My daughter had measles a few years ago despite being vaccinated with the singular measles vaccine and then the preschool MMR booster. I am always wary of the scaremongering of the press in these issues.
My understanding of it is that outbreaks of random childhood illnesses occur in areas each year, a vaccinated child may still catch the illness but in a 'generally notably' milder form than an unvaccinated child might.

There was an epidemic here in North Essex/East Anglia of Scarlet Fever over the last few months which was once quite 'rare' apparently (although my girls have had it each winter for the last 4yrs), my theory on this is that it is because we moved here ;) lots of children at school have now had it.

I am pretty sure that an unvaccinated child though at risk themselves, poses no more of a health risk for a vaccinated child than contact with the infection anyway.

yummyripples
26-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I find this really interesting.

We mix everyday with people who we don't know. They may be vaccinated yet they may not be.
Babies under one usually still have their mothers immunity over lots of things. The majority of the vaccinations have been given by 5 months and mmr at 12 months.

moggy
26-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I would have no problem with un-vaccinated children.

It is a personal choice whether to vaccinate, there are many reason not to vaccinate and they are perfectly valid.

I would never question a family's choice about vacc'ing. No vaccination is guaranteed to work anyway, so any child has potential to catch any disease whether vacc'ed or not.

I would absolutely not be contacting SS/GP or anyone else, it is none of my business and the child should be treated like any other because they ARE like any other- any child can catch measles etc.

Being vacc'ed may decrease the chance but it is not 100% protection.

I would like to be aware if a child is unvacc'ed just so that I can inform parent if there is a case of a disease in someone we have been exposed to or an outbreak locally etc that they should be aware of... but then again, I would keep all parents informed as all could be at risk whether vacc'ed or not. Of course, the success rate of vaccinations is not publicized as Gov wants all parents to comply.

Daisy1956
26-04-2014, 09:00 PM
An interesting discussion. At the moment my grandson has only had two of the three vaccinations due to escalating allergic reaction after the first two, we are now waiting to see a paediatric consulant before he can have anymore,they may decide to do them at the hospital at the moment we don't know. I will be looking after him from July and had not even thought of informing the other parents.

FloraDora
26-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I was a big vaccination fan, my boys had them all....and very anti those who didn't.....then a friends child had her vaccination, and after a big reaction, ended up blind...I know the chances are high, but it did make me think.....

So now I sort of understand why some decide not to.

I agree with others that we need to know a child's situation, but no one else does and I would do a care plan for the child and a RA.

Smiley
26-04-2014, 09:17 PM
One of my sons had a severe reaction to a measles jab many years ago and we were advised not to let him have MMR when he was offered it a few years later. He never had the MMR vaccination and we delayed it for his younger sibling too.

Tracie Morrison
26-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately there is an element of risk involved with vaccines and I totally understand a parents choice of refusal. I wouldnt refuse an unvaccinated child, nor would I feel the need to notify other parents or anyone else. I would treat them the same as the other children/parents and inform them of illnesses around as I would any other family xx

watford wizz
27-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I was bought up in Christian Science and never had any baby injections/medication. I did catch the usual childhood illnesses but survived. I had them all as an adult when started minding as didn't want to put children at risk if I caught or carried something. I understand your caution but think you could be on very dodgy ground refusing a place x

LauraS
27-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Some children don't have them for health reasons, some for religious reasons or just parents choice. Whilst I don't agree with opting out unless unavoidable due to health reasons, I wouldn't discriminate. Herd immunity will protect them to some extent, and my own children have had all theirs.

I haven't had many vaccinations myself due to allergy (cousin had adverse reaction when I was a child so mum was advised not to let me have any). I have had rubella and hep b but nothing else. I had whooping cough and chickenpox as a child but would assume I am still open to getting measles etc.

ziggy
01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
thanks for replies, I really dont have a problem caring for this child and it never crossed my mind to refuse him.

I've contacted social services and they told me if i mind him I have to inform other parents.

jackie 7
01-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I do understand your concerns as there have been big outbreaks of measles in Ireland. It has had very serious results from what I remember.