PDA

View Full Version : Venting!!!!

Tracie Morrison
24-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Am so annoyed. I had an enquiry today (my third enquiry since becoming registered) via childcare.co.uk, I am not yet a gold member so the parent has paid the membership, she asks my fee's etc then if she and child can pop by this evening after work/after school club.

So I feed my girls early, excitedly tidy and make sure I have a parent pack ready (as you do!)
She arrives and is lovely, child I could adopt he was just sooooooo sweet.

Anyway, she tells me she wants 7:15 drop off and 6:30 collection - I had given her my 'usual hours' prices in the message which cover 8am-6pm, and so she asks me if I would like to have a think and email her the fee's later...

I decided just to price as per my normal hours and nothing more, as he was a lovely child, to help me achieve my first mindee! and because it would only be until July when they move.

Just emailed over fee's and she immediately replied that having looked at my fee's and what she is paying now for the after school club (which she told me she hates and has safeguarding issues with) she would be paying over £50 more and so is outside her budget!!!! of course it is more, Im a childminder, you have asked for before AND after school care and club is a child farm!!

What I am annoyed at is she was/is an intelligent educated woman, why on earth pay membership to place an advert with no idea of potential fee's??? I charge £4 per hour inc food as per the other 2 local childminders its not like I charge exorbitant fee's!

Deflated. Rant over :huh:

amylouise867
24-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Am so annoyed. I had an enquiry today (my third enquiry since becoming registered) via childcare.co.uk, I am not yet a gold member so the parent has paid the membership, she asks my fee's etc then if she and child can pop by this evening after work/after school club. So I feed my girls early, excitedly tidy and make sure I have a parent pack ready (as you do!) She arrives and is lovely, child I could adopt he was just sooooooo sweet. Anyway, she tells me she wants 7:15 drop off and 6:30 collection - I had given her my 'usual hours' prices in the message which cover 8am-6pm, and so she asks me if I would like to have a think and email her the fee's later... I decided just to price as per my normal hours and nothing more, as he was a lovely child, to help me achieve my first mindee! and because it would only be until July when they move. Just emailed over fee's and she immediately replied that having looked at my fee's and what she is paying now for the after school club (which she told me she hates and has safeguarding issues with) she would be paying over £50 more and so is outside her budget!!!! of course it is more, Im a childminder, you have asked for before AND after school care and club is a child farm!! What I am annoyed at is she was/is an intelligent educated woman, why on earth pay membership to place an advert with no idea of potential fee's??? I charge £4 per hour inc food as per the other 2 local childminders its not like I charge exorbitant fee's! Deflated. Rant over :huh:

Sorry to hear of your disappointment today!

It's horrible when things are going so well your optimistic and then something happens which makes you feel disheartened.

Keep your chin up though - you will soon have more parents coming along!

Hugs x

natlou82
25-04-2014, 05:19 AM
It's such a shame that this mum is more concerned about price than her child's welfare (safeguarding concerns at after school club). Your prices sound fine to me and not everyone is able to offer as early as 7:15 and as late as 6:30. If she hates the after school club, you may find she will come back to you afterall. She perhaps thought you would reduce your price! If not don't panic something else will definitely come along :-). It's worthwhile investing in gold membership even for a week / month and get contacting parents. I signed 2 in very quick succession from there so well worth £30 I paid (1 week, 1 month).

k1rstie
25-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Anyway, she tells me she wants 7:15 drop off and 6:30 collection -

Deflated. Rant over :huh:

Our local school clubs only run from 8, and only until 6. Any aren't needed outside of these times is stuck!

I think where childminders are expensive compared to the clubs is during the holidays, but again the clubs have the same time requirements. But childminders are actually able to take the children out for the day.

But I would not suggest dropping our prices in the holidays to match there's.

bunyip
25-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Hope you feel better soon, Tracie :group hug:

At least console yourself with the knowledge this happens to us all. I once had a mum offer me £1ph for childcare, stating she was short of money since the recent price increase for her hair & beauty treatments were costing over £70 a fortnight. :eek:

It's pretty much endemic. The same sort of people happily pay to travel Cattle Class on budget airlines and make a bigger whining noise that the jet engines, cos they expect First Class service whilst on board.

If that mum was buying a winter coat, she'd search for the best she could afford. When it comes to childcare, the cheapest she can get away with will do. Priorities??? :huh:

Get philosophical and chalk this one down at the top of your list of "lucky escapes". A mum who sends her most precious boy to a kiddifarm she "hates" and has safeguarding concerns with????? You just dodged a bullet, there: full meNtal jacket & all. :thumbsup:

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Get philosophical and chalk this one down at the top of your list of "lucky escapes". A mum who sends her most precious boy to a kiddifarm she "hates" and has safeguarding concerns with????? You just dodged a bullet, there: full meNtal jacket & all. :thumbsup:

ah thanks , feeling better today! Im thinking that you're right, she would have probably been a bit high maintenance and wanted to know she was getting her moneys worth! and I had been thinking that I didnt really want to be working outside 8-6 as I have my own family to think of, so yes, I probably dodged a bullet on this one!

Koala
25-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Get used to it!! :laughing: wait 'till you get the real loons :laughing: insulting your professional conduct - like wanting to be paid at all, never mind on time.

Don't take it to heart although it is hard not to be insulted when it's so blatant. My skin is getting thicker and thicker over the years, it needs to, to survive. :thumbsup:

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Our local school clubs only run from 8, and only until 6. Any aren't needed outside of these times is stuck!

I think where childminders are expensive compared to the clubs is during the holidays, but again the clubs have the same time requirements. But childminders are actually able to take the children out for the day.

But I would not suggest dropping our prices in the holidays to match there's.

The breakfast club here opens at 7:45 and closes at 6:30... she liked the breakfast club but keeps getting stuck in traffic and is late for work so wanted a 7:15 drop, and the after school/holiday club she said has forty children, is manic and she feels the children are not sufficiently supervised... but hey ho her choice eh :rolleyes:

The holiday club charges just £18 per day, pretty much 50% less than my £37.50! I dont want to be a holiday club or attempt to compete with one? I feel that what I offer is completely different care and over and above what they offer, and besides Id rather have less mindees in the holidays so I get more time with my children. I guess its all about what service we want to offer, no rights or wrongs eh.

I had an enquiry in the easter hols for 'holiday cover' I said give the holiday club a call? mum said "my girls dont like it, its noisy and really busy, could you price match?" erm no, "wouldnt be worth me working!!" she said, ummm yeah Im thinking the same!! lol :)

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear of your disappointment today!

It's horrible when things are going so well your optimistic and then something happens which makes you feel disheartened.

Keep your chin up though - you will soon have more parents coming along!

Hugs x

Thank you! had a mum contact me for the second time today regarding care for her 12mth a few days a week YAY! xx

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Get used to it!! :laughing: wait 'till you get the real loons :laughing: insulting your professional conduct - like wanting to be paid at all, never mind on time.

Don't take it to heart although it is hard not to be insulted when it's so blatant. My skin is getting thicker and thicker over the years, it needs to, to survive. :thumbsup:

I defo need to man up lol, just been so bored at home... moved to a village knowing no-one, gave up my nursery job for the move and been soooooo looking forward to getting registered and being around kiddies again, think I'm being a bit needy and neurotic lol :blush:

bunyip
25-04-2014, 06:07 PM
I defo need to man up lol, just been so bored at home... moved to a village knowing no-one, gave up my nursery job for the move and been soooooo looking forward to getting registered and being around kiddies again, think I'm being a bit needy and neurotic lol :blush:

I kind of feel I've been there. I moved to the village where I now live about 5 years ago, before I took up CMing. I'd previously lived in big cities my entire live except for 1 year in a town (in Essex, by coincidence). It wasn't just that I didn't know anybody, but part of the isolation was that everyone seemed to suddenly know all about me (Mrs B originally came from here, and I have a very gossippy mother-in-law.) I'd hoped that my local CM group would be the answer, but it was anything but that, and I didn't get on at all well and left the group. Although CMing is quite a lonely job, I did find it helped me to find friends of my own and not just 2nd hand 'friends of the family' through children's centre, toddler groups, not to mention the weekly escape to the pub quiz.

Hope it all comes together soon. And make the most of the forum.

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 09:18 PM
I kind of feel I've been there. I moved to the village where I now live about 5 years ago, before I took up CMing. I'd previously lived in big cities my entire live except for 1 year in a town (in Essex, by coincidence). It wasn't just that I didn't know anybody, but part of the isolation was that everyone seemed to suddenly know all about me (Mrs B originally came from here, and I have a very gossippy mother-in-law.) I'd hoped that my local CM group would be the answer, but it was anything but that, and I didn't get on at all well and left the group. Although CMing is quite a lonely job, I did find it helped me to find friends of my own and not just 2nd hand 'friends of the family' through children's centre, toddler groups, not to mention the weekly escape to the pub quiz.

Hope it all comes together soon. And make the most of the forum.

Thank you! Yes you're right, I have felt isolated at times and very much the 'outsider' of the village. The other 2 local CM's have been quite helpful, 1 more than the other but still in a 'message me if I can help' way rather than over coffee... I have made some friends via my girls being at school and now 7mths in have finally began to feel a sense of belonging, I still have to pinch myself that we made the move and live here now, my girls love it which is great and there is a childcare shortage here so Im spending most of my days getting my name and service out there to just let people know I exist.
I just really cant wait to have some little ones to spend my days with, really miss my job, and as you say to help me find my own friends!

Thank you so much for the message :)