PDA

View Full Version : Children's clothes..

dolly1985
24-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Please tell me if I'm being fussy...

Well my minded children have turned up in the same clothes 3 days running now-with yesterday's lunch still down their tops...I would never let my son go out in food stained clothing! I can understand wearing same clothes if they are not soiled.

The girl wears clothes too small and the boy has her hand me downs which are way too big! She had tights on today but the crotch was down by her knees-I took them off as she looked uncomfortable!!

I was thinking about putting on their spare outfits before taking them to playgroup as I was a bit embarrassed but I didn't in the end!

jackie 7
24-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Oh yes put on their spare clothes but wet them first then you say the got them wet so put on spare clothes but they don't fit well must have outgrown.

Maza
24-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Tights that are too small look so uncomfortable! Well done you for taking them off. I also get a bit embarrassed when my mindee turns up in a filthy coat. I often have to sponge it down before I take him on the school run. How old are your mindees? Do you have any idea why they turn up wearing what they do?

alwaysright
25-04-2014, 11:17 AM
glad this isnt just me felling like this! how hard is it to keep your childrens clothes clean?? i often have little ones turning up in coats that are really really dirty and i personally think theres no excuse for it, a coat can be washed and dryed overnight if they only have one. if you did buy spare clothes for them i would change them back into own clothes vbefore they go home or you may not see them again! i dont provide spare clothes and the other day a little one was sick with nothing spare so had to sit in her coat for the time she had left, i refuse to put any thing of my daughters on them as i have done this in the past and theyve either not come back or come back like doll rags!

wee_elf
25-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I agree with the method of the original clothes got wet/dirty so you washed them/changed them! Not only for the child's comfort but also it is quite embarrassing and potentially damaging to your reputation if others think you are happy to leave a child in that state x

dolly1985
25-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your replies! They turned up in the same clothes today again but had swapped jumpers so brother and sister wearing each others dirty jumpers, they are nearly 3 and 15months!

Before playgroup I changed them into their spare outfits and made they others a bit wet! Opps!!

I dont know why they turn up like it-both parents are very presentable and really nice...little bit hippyish so probably into saving the planet and not using a washing machine that often!! Bit different in my house - i seem to have the tumble dryer on all day every day!!

Koala
25-04-2014, 11:39 AM
It is sad that I am at the point where I am rather complacent that there are so many dirty, scrotty people about there that don't give a monkeys about cleanliness or consideration for other people. I have had so many through my door - it's fantastic to see mum looking like a model and their little one - well, shall we say "not" But if the kids are happy! what right do we have to complain? If that's how they want to live - then let them. But, yes, I would probably change them if I were seen in public with them as it would reflect on me. You do right NOT to give your clothes away, in my experience - the more you do, the more you are taken advantage of by a lot of people - sadly.

clareelizabeth1
25-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Is it not neglect children being left in the same dirty clothes for days if it were me I would be having a word with parents and if it didn't improve I would take the next steps of referring them on. Dirty clothes can be a sign of parents not coping. Or a sign of abuse it is down to us to help the children.

Another thing is by washing clothes for them your are hiding a piece of the puzzle and if the child is being abused or neglected it could be seen as you covering it up and even aiding parents in allowing them to continue. On my course I was told doing things like that was a big no no

Koala
25-04-2014, 11:58 AM
It's not necessarily neglect - people have different standards, different values for spending their money and it's their choice. I'm sure if dolly1985 thought the children were at risk then she/he would take further steps.

I see loads of children with what I would consider dirty or inappropriate clothing all the time at our local rugby club and they are well loved and down to earth - literally playing in the muck - it makes me shudder but it's what I used to do when I was young and I didn't have clean clothes every day. Back in the day when we shared a bath, the whole family took their turn and washed our hair once a week, had one set of school uniform and had to make it last and had playing out clothes- often these were dirty and just got dirtier and maybe were a bit too small too but money was tight. But it wasn't neglect. But I take the point that if other factors a apparent we should not ignore it.

dolly1985
25-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Yes i would take further steps if i thought it was a case of neglect but it definitely is not.

I'm just a bit fussy on a appearance-they are very happy children :-)

AdeleMarie88
25-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Could you not ask mom for spare clothes? Just say you get so mucky you don't want them in food stained clothes, so can mom bring more, or just leave a couple of. Tops with you at the beginning of the week and you can give them back to her at the end of the week.

I agree I don't like to see children in dirty clothes, a. Bit of paint or mud is one thing, but yesterday's lunch is another! When they get to school age, teachers won't be happy with dirty uniform! X

dolly1985
25-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes i already have spare clothes-i will just change them when they arrive

wee_elf
25-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately with the pressure that social services are under dirty clothes are well below the level of concern (unless of course there are other factors running alongside this concern). I have sat in many team around the child meetings and child protection conferences where this has been brought up and unfortunately it seems now to be a accepted 'parenting style' :(.
I do not really agree with this though as I believe that if these basic needs are not being taken care of, then what else could be spiralling out of control? The advice I was given was to keep a note of this as it may reveal a pattern x

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Sounds like one of my old nursery families, 3 my key children, I used to call them my scooby doo family as they were very hippy seventies family lol

The children would often come in with unbrushed hair, weetabix faces, random mix of mis-matched dirty clothing which was often as you say swapped between the children for the next days wear!
BUT they were the most cared for, loved children. Mum & Dad just lived a different way, had different priorities and let the children be very independent and make their own choices, so the morning handover would often include mums strugging shoulders and big smiley face.

They were great, miss them and floaty behaviour :laughing:

But have to admit if they were turning up at my front door for me to take out for the day I would definitely give them a little tidy up where necessary! x