PDA

View Full Version : How to stop the water being spilled

Lu 2010
24-04-2014, 01:24 PM
How do you all have water available for the children to help themselves without it being knocked over and spilled all the time? I have a very inquisitive 1 year old at the mo that would just love to pour the water everywhere at every possible opportunity, just wondered how you guys get round this.

loocyloo
24-04-2014, 01:31 PM
I have a small lidded jug on the kitchen table. The older children sit at the table and pour a drink. They are encouraged to only pour what they will drink to save spills.
Children who are not big enough for this ( generally my under 2s ) have either lidded cups or sports top bottles on a lower table and I spend alot of time saying 'we drink from cups, that's xs cup'. Eventually they grow out of it. At those times I try to having pouring activities available be it water or rice or ....
Good luck x

Mouse
24-04-2014, 01:40 PM
During the day all the children have a sports bottle with their name on. They soon get to know which is their's. The bottles are on a tray either on a low table indoors, or outside, depending where we are. The children know to sit at the table to drink. They tell me when their bottle is empty, or I check them now and again & fill them up if necessary.

At meal times they use lidless cups or beakers.

AliceK
24-04-2014, 03:07 PM
During the day all the children have a sports bottle with their name on. They soon get to know which is their's. The bottles are on a tray either on a low table indoors, or outside, depending where we are. The children know to sit at the table to drink. They tell me when their bottle is empty, or I check them now and again & fill them up if necessary.

At meal times they use lidless cups or beakers.

I do the same here.

xx

FloraDora
24-04-2014, 05:47 PM

I use this, the children fill a small glass, drink at the station, they don't take drink in amongst toys, just time out for drink. Each child has a different colour glass. Works well....until occasionally one little one chooses to play at the water station and just fill glasses! Most times its ok.

Lu 2010
24-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks everybody and wow Floradora where did you get that from? love it

FloraDora
24-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks everybody and wow Floradora where did you get that from? love it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006675TL6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought it last year for a lot less, but it does work for fulfilling the constant availability for water.

LauraS
24-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I use this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50102973/

Cups, jug, lidded beakers all fit in and we cart it about as we move from inside to outside. Contains the spillages if needed.

For outings or school run etc we use lidded beakers or sports bottles

karen2010
24-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh jiminy cricket not another thing !
I thought water being readily available meant water bottles always being out for the mindees - should I have jugs of it out for them to help themselves ??
Plus most of my mindees drink juice - is this wrong ??
Help !!!! Xxxx

jackie 7
24-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I put lidded cups out but have a new lo who reaches for everyone's cup.

Vikki5531
24-04-2014, 08:44 PM
I use this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50102973/ Cups, jug, lidded beakers all fit in and we cart it about as we move from inside to outside. Contains the spillages if needed. For outings or school run etc we use lidded beakers or sports bottles

That's a good idea for being able to transport them between indoor and outdoor, I might steal this idea, thank-you xx

moggy
25-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Oh jiminy cricket not another thing !
I thought water being readily available meant water bottles always being out for the mindees - should I have jugs of it out for them to help themselves ??
Plus most of my mindees drink juice - is this wrong ??
Help !!!! Xxxx

No, you do not HAVE to have a jug. Water simply has to be available so they can access it themselves. If you have 3+ year olds it is nice for them to learn to pour their own water. I have 1-2 year olds so it is lidded beakers one colour each. But we have lots of other opportunities for learning to pour- with water play, dolls tea set etc etc.

Water is the healthiest drink. I would not offer juice (you mean diluted squash?). It can be frowned upon- if it is the type with sugar then it causes tooth decay, if it is the artificially sweetened type then the chemical sweeteners can be seen as not good and some children even have reactions to them. Either way they promote a sweet tooth and at school they will not be allowed juice during the day anyway. So juice is not a good habit. Of course, some parents will say juice is all their child will drink... but as with many things if you have a water-only rule at your house they will soon get used to it!

tess1981
25-04-2014, 08:26 AM
My last inspection I was asked was water available for children I said yes at all meal and snack tine and any other time the children ask for a drink. I don't have it sitting it out . I said during warmer weather I offer it more frequently my social worker was fine about it

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Just wanted to share... for out and about I bought a pretty Garden Tool bag, it has lots of pockets around the outside which are perfect for lidded beakers to stop them toppling over and leaking in a normal bag! its fab xxx