PDA

View Full Version : Quick answer please!

smurfette
24-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to check something., have new Lo settling in, I do 5 hours free settling in and anything else is paid for.. Lo was due for his last two hours of free sessions today, but he is sick. Due tomorrow for a paid session (mum wanted an extra half day before she starts work Monday) which she has paid.. I don't refund her since he didn't come today do I? I turned away an ad hoc Lo this am cos I couldn't fit her in and could have if he wasn't coming

tess1981
24-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Tough one.... but this is a pre booked space and paid in advance you can refund two hours and say this is because he missed his free settling in but make sure you tell her as all other sessions are pre booked from here on in full fee due if child does not attend

bunyip
24-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Like any business, if we offer something for free, we have to provide it for free. Therefore the legal position probably depends very much upon whether it is clear that they booked that particular free session and they missed it through no fault of yours.

However, I think there's a lot to be said for getting off on the right foot with a new client. Tess's suggestion makes sense to me as a compromise, particularly as today's paid-for session is a bit of an 'extra' which you wouldn't normally have expected from a new client. But it's also important to be clear about expectations and usual practice with a new client, so you don't get used as a doormat.

I think you're still within your rights to refuse a refund, as it cost you potential earnings from the ad-hoc that had to be turned down. If you go down this route, I'd explain the reasons to your new client - ie. had to let someone else down and lose money. I don't normally offer explanations for all my decisions, but I'd do so with a new client, so they don't start out thinking I'm just pinching the pennies, IYSWIM.

smurfette
24-04-2014, 09:05 AM
I don't mind refunding it's only two hours (it's the free session he has missed) i'am just afraid if I do that it will leave
Things unclear for the future with regard to if he is off
Sick again. So how to explain it?

AliceK
24-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't mind refunding it's only two hours (it's the free session he has missed) i'am just afraid if I do that it will leave

I would just explain that as it was one of his free settling in sessions as a gesture of goodwill you have done it but it is a one off and usually if a child is away for whatever reason from a contracted session then that session remains payable. Clear but polite too.

xxx

Koala
24-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Like you say - 2 hours is really! neither here nor there when it comes to money. So I don't think parent will be too bothered, would you be? and lets face it, it was a freebee that she missed out on so she hasn't really lost anything.

I would be more concerned about getting your business position off on the right foot :- If you don't do swapsy's for sick days - don't do it now.
If you don't want parents to think your a pushover - don't be.
If you want parents to abide by your policies - you have to.

Even if you refund the 2 hours and explained to your parent why and that it will be a one off, in my experience I have learnt that if you give an inch they will take a mile and this really opens up pushing the boundaries, but you have to do what YOU!! feel happy with and that will be the right thing to do.

I know it's hard, I know we always want to do right by others and by refunding this just opens you up to being a soft spot and by not refunding shows you are a business it depends how you want to portray yourself. Every time a child is off sick from my setting I feel bad that I am getting paid but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I still have to pay my rent even when I am sick. :thumbsup:

Good luck

bunyip
24-04-2014, 09:40 AM
I try to explain to clients that they are paying for 'reserved' or 'booked' time, whether or not they use it.

There really is no direct analogy with other business arrangements. It probably comes closest to a theatre booking. Think of your CM as a tiny little theatre with just the 6 seats. If you buy a ticket but don't turn up, even if it's cos you're ill, you're still taking up the booking so you don't get your money back. You're not going to pursude the box office to refund you on the grounds that you deserve sympathy cos you had a bit of a tummy that evening. The theatre might be able to sell a returned ticket on to someone else, but probably can't. This is of course where the analogy breaks down, as a theatre stands some chance of finding someone to watch just the one play, but a CM has far less chance of finding someone who just wants the one session of childcare. :(

smurfette
24-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks mum rang me and left message about tomorrow so I thought she might be looking for a refund., have talked to her now and she didn't mention it so neither did I! She is just concerned Lo won't have much settling in as she starts work Monday and was just lookkng for reassurance.. I have him for a half day tomorrow then three full days next week. I think he will be fine it is more she is a first time mum and has never left him

I told her he would be fine I have settled them in before on Less, and just gave her the reassurance she was looking for.

Feel bad I couldn't help ad hoc mum but she got a friend to help so wasn't stuck in the end

Feel better having left it as is. I agree koala it blurs the lines and I don't want a fight about it later (bearing in mind this is the dad who wanted all the id and copies of my Certs.. Think I need to be very clear with him from the get go!)

Mouse
24-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I was going to ask if mum had actually asked for a refund. As a parent, I wouldn't have expected one if I was offered a free session, but couldn't attend.

I would amend any wording you have on policies etc, to say that you offer UP TO 5 hours free settling in time. That way you're not tied to trying to fit it all in before a start date.

Koala
24-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks mum rang me and left message about tomorrow so I thought she might be looking for a refund., have talked to her now and she didn't mention it so neither did I! She is just concerned Lo won't have much settling in as she starts work Monday and was just lookkng for reassurance.. I have him for a half day tomorrow then three full days next week. I think he will be fine it is more she is a first time mum and has never left him

I told her he would be fine I have settled them in before on Less, and just gave her the reassurance she was looking for.

Feel bad I couldn't help ad hoc mum but she got a friend to help so wasn't stuck in the end

Feel better having left it as is. I agree koala it blurs the lines and I don't want a fight about it later (bearing in mind this is the dad who wanted all the id and copies of my Certs.. Think I need to be very clear with him from the get go!)

AHRRRR this makes it even more simple - with knobs and knockers on :D DO NOT VARY FROM YOUR POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, KEEP YOUR PROFESSIONAL HEAD ON AT ALL TIMES - if this is what they want - this is what they will get. :thumbsup: Boundaries are GOOD for everyone - big ones and little ones.

tess1981
24-04-2014, 10:19 AM
AHRRRR this makes it even more simple - with knobs and knockers on :D DO NOT VARY FROM YOUR POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, KEEP YOUR PROFESSIONAL HEAD ON AT ALL TIMES - if this is what they want - this is what they will get. :thumbsup: Boundaries are GOOD for everyone - big ones and little ones.

You and your knobs and knockers... are they brass or gold ones ;)

Koala
24-04-2014, 10:56 AM
You and your knobs and knockers... are they brass or gold ones ;)

'BRASS' to go with my neck that i'm growing. :D

tess1981
24-04-2014, 11:04 AM
'BRASS' to go with my neck that i'm growing. :D

Lol we all need necks like that

smurfette
24-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Well had phone call this evening poor Lo has been vomiting all day! So not coming tomorrow either ... Talk about having your policies tested at the get go! Tomorrow is luckily paid for. Mum said she understood I wouldn't want him tomorrow (pleased with her honesty!) and said she would try to take a half day Monday as it is her first day back then he will be here Tuesday and Wednesday all day.. Gosh I hope he will be ok, only had him three hours total so far!!

Mouse
25-04-2014, 06:52 AM
I'm sure you'll both be fine!

I only do two one hour settling in sessions at the most and don't have any problems :thumbsup:

bunyip
25-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Apologies for jumping in on the thread.

@murphf

Can you please clear some of your stored message folder, as I'm unable to PM you due to storage limits being exceeded?

Ta. :thumbsup:

smurfette
25-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Apologies for jumping in on the thread. @murphf Can you please clear some of your stored message folder, as I'm unable to PM you due to storage limits being exceeded? Ta. :thumbsup:

Done !!!!!!!

bunyip
25-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Done !!!!!!!

Thanks - message sent. :thumbsup:

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Well had phone call this evening poor Lo has been vomiting all day! So not coming tomorrow either ... Talk about having your policies tested at the get go! Tomorrow is luckily paid for. Mum said she understood I wouldn't want him tomorrow (pleased with her honesty!) and said she would try to take a half day Monday as it is her first day back then he will be here Tuesday and Wednesday all day.. Gosh I hope he will be ok, only had him three hours total so far!!

Be sure to let us know how next week goes! :)

smurfette
26-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Apparently he has croup so may not come Monday or if he does only for a half day, dad is due to drop him off most days so will keep you posted!

Koala
26-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Poor lo, remember to have your business head on though - that's how they want it - Don't go saying, Oh don't pay me or Delay his start until he is well, blah de blah de blah. They are still taking it day by day so keeping their options open so that he can come if well enough. I know it's hard but remember they wouldn't pay you if you were ill? It's fair enough, book it - pay it. :thumbsup:

smurfette
26-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Poor lo, remember to have your business head on though - that's how they want it - Don't go saying, Oh don't pay me or Delay his start until he is well, blah de blah de blah. They are still taking it day by day so keeping their options open so that he can come if well enough. I know it's hard but remember they wouldn't pay you if you were ill? It's fair enough, book it - pay it. :thumbsup:

No I won't don't worry.. Dad has already given me the heebeegees with wanting all manner of if so I won't give these ones an inch,, don't like it they can sling their hook! I am growing those hairy things now three years on!