PDA

View Full Version : How long do your interviews last when you interview new parents?

KateA
23-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi , I had a couple just come round to see me about care for there 2 year old they stayed less than 10 minutes! no time for me to ask any questions or get to know the family or child. Mum had attitude on phone last night so I was already bit put off ( she was telling me how to run my business) then today did not speak to me let husband do all the talking. Very rude and then they left before 10 mins up to take eldest swimming. So going with gut instinct and not working with them.

Going to text to say sorry unable to offer them care, would you leave it at that or say you do not feel we could work together?

Thanks for any help

unalindura77
23-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I would wait until tomorrow and then just say very sorry I am no longer able to offer you the space.

loocyloo
23-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I had one set of parents who only stayed 15 mins ...
They rang later and said they knew from the moment they first spoke to me and that meeting me confirmed it! It was for a schoolie and she stayed 4yrs and only left because I moved!
But I had a good feeling about parents. If I don't have a good feeling from initial contact then I don't always offer a space after interview.

Koala
23-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Usually parents stay 30 mins to an hour discussing this, that and the other, I find first time parents with new babies tend to need more support. :thumbsup:

tess1981
23-04-2014, 05:33 PM
You could say someone else was also looking place and you are offering it to them as hours suit better

ziggy
23-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I had quick chat on phone earlier in the week, then parents came last night. Asked was I happy to take baby, asked about payments, food etc. Said they were so pleased i would take child as I had been recommended. Left about 15mins later, baby starts next week.

Other parents have asked lots of questions, looked at rooms child will use and stayed much longer.

Mouse
23-04-2014, 06:37 PM
The last parent I had visit was here for about 20 minutes. That's very quick for me - I've had parents here for 2 hours before, although an hour is about usual.

We'd already talked on the phone and I was recommended to her, so she'd already made up her mind to come to me. She was basically calling in to meet me, introduce herself & her child and to collect paperwork.

If it was a parent I hadn't really spoken to and didn't really gel with, I think I would be a bit wary if they didn't stay long.

Kiddleywinks
23-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Initial visit usually 45 mins to an hour, although 15 mins was my shortest.

I would turn them down if they come back to you, which they probably won't anyway ;)

Tracie Morrison
23-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I would definitely go with a gut instinct, I dont think you need to explain yourself, just say you cannot offer childcare x

alwaysright
23-04-2014, 08:51 PM
i wouldnt even bother to contact them, if and when they contact you i would then say sorry the place has gone!

KateA
24-04-2014, 06:37 AM
hi thank you for getting back to me all very helpful iam going to leave it and see what happens , then if contact me say sorry place gone x

bunyip
24-04-2014, 08:34 AM
My visits tend to last an hour or so. My most recent went over 2 hours. The shortest were 10 minutes and 30 minutes, both of which ended with me pretty much showing the mums the door. (Leave, take your dreadful spawn with you, and never darken my door again.......... or something like that. :rolleyes:)

Whilst there are widely differing definitions and tolerances of what counts as "rude", I'd say go with your instinct/gut feeling. If you don't think you can work with them, then it's probably wise not to try.

Playing Devil's Advocate, it's just possible they were having a bad week and didn't come across as their usual selves, and crammed the visit in before swimming cos they wanted to "touch base" rather than have no contact at all. And sometimes there's a fine line between what seems to be "telling me how to run my business" and "being clear about needs/expectations". It's very much an individual thing, and only the individual CM knows what they can work with.

Above all, never think you have to justify a decision not to offer a place. You are not obligated to give reasons and it won't benefit the parent one way or the other whether they know or not. They're hardly going to thank you and turn over a new attitudinal leaf if you do come out and say, "in all honesty, I think you're a bossy, rude, off-putting parent and I wouldn't dream of working with you" now, are they? People who push for answers in this sort of situation are never satisfied or happy. They either take offence cos you don't give an answer, or they take offence cos they don't like the answer they got. :p