PDA

View Full Version : fire extinguisher?

wee_elf
23-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi everyone! Quick question do you have a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher, or just one of the two? The EYFS isn't too clear on this! Thank You xx

leahsfx
23-04-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm just setting up but was told you need both

amyp
23-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Just blanket when I had ofsted over in January x

rickysmiths
23-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I have neither. You should be properly trained to use both and we tend not to be and it can be very dangerous if they are not used correctly. When I had a home safety check done on my home by the Fire Brigade I was advised that my first priority was to get myself and the children out of the house and not to stop and try and put the fire out.

In my previous job we did a two day Training with Chubb on how to use extinguishers and fire blankets and a day of that was spent using them both and I would still rather get out and let the professionals deal with a fire.

I can build a new house I can't replace a mindee or myself. I also don't want fire extinguishers on the walls in my home I am a home not an institution and if you have them they have to be properly housed so the minded children and any visitors are safe.

I do not know what the requirements in Wales or Scotland are they may be different to EYFS. You do not have to have them if you are in England.

Rubybubbles
23-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I have neither.

Up until recently I had a fire blanket but as rickysmiths has said we are told not to tackle and get out anyway

loocyloo
23-04-2014, 04:22 PM
My fire safety chap said to just get out of the house, don't waste time trying to put a fire out.

tulip0803
23-04-2014, 04:40 PM
I have a fire blanket - I have also been on fire safety training with the Fire Brigade. They advise to leave the building and to only use fire extinguishers/fire blankets to enable access to an exit never to fight a fire. There are too many people admitted to hospital for burns through trying to fight a fire with extinguishers/blankets/damp tea towels etc

The only way I will use the fire blanket is if someone was on fire to wrap, drop and roll (god forbid I ever need to) I have positioned it near the door

leahsfx
23-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I have neither. You should be properly trained to use both and we tend not to be and it can be very dangerous if they are not used correctly. When I had a home safety check done on my home by the Fire Brigade I was advised that my first priority was to get myself and the children out of the house and not to stop and try and put the fire out. In my previous job we did a two day Training with Chubb on how to use extinguishers and fire blankets and a day of that was spent using them both and I would still rather get out and let the professionals deal with a fire. I can build a new house I can't replace a mindee or myself. I also don't want fire extinguishers on the walls in my home I am a home not an institution and if you have them they have to be properly housed so the minded children and any visitors are safe. I do not know what the requirements in Wales or Scotland are they may be different to EYFS. You do not have to have them if you are in England.

I'm starting to question my LA approved course as a few threads now have contradicted what I have been told via my tutor

wee_elf
23-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I tend to agree with the fact that I wouldn't mess around - I would get out with the children!! When I worked in a nursery I had full fire training as I was the marshal and was shown how to use extinguishers etc, BUT even after that we were told not to tackle a fire, begs the question what is the point???!

Tracie Morrison
23-04-2014, 08:51 PM
I was confused too as I was always led to believe that our priority was to get the children out, even when I worked in nursery. Then I came across some sites/pages saying that we must have a fire blanket...
When ofsted came out for my pre-reg visit Mrs O asked where I was going to put my fire blanket, I carefully replied that I wasnt going to have one as I believed my priority was to get the children out and not fight a fire... she said that as long as I could justify not having one then that was ok... BUT she said, what would I do if a person/child was on fire or the exit was blocked due to fire? You might need a fire blanket then she said?

I ordered one :/ x

wee_elf
24-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I have emailed my local Fire Authority to ask for a home safety check and further advice. I also came across this
Child minders and Day-Care Providers (http://www.firesafe.org.uk/child-minders-and-day-care-providers/) which states that we should have a fire blanket?!! So confusing, I will wait and see what they say when they visit.
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply :)