PDA

View Full Version : Stair gate or no stair gate?

Miss freckles
23-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I've been cm-ing for a year now and always had a stair gate since day 1, however I removed the gate from the bottom of the stairs two weeks ago, mainly because I've now blocked off my lounge as I have new carpets in there and a child has just started potty training and has a lot of accidents and I caught one of the children writing on my carpet with felt tip :panic: it came out but I decided that that room would now be off limits, so I took the stair gate from my stairs temporarily but have now realised how much better it is!

My stair gate has to start from my second step due to the way my banisters are so the children would climb on the gate, swing from it then fall off and cry. And the school children tripped on the bar a few times when going up and down to the toilet. Not to mention the damage to my walls because of it.

Well since I took it away two weeks ago I don't think any of the minded children have even noticed, not one of them has attempted to go up the stairs, they don't go near them in fact they go near them less then they used to when there was a gate there!

I've risk assessed this over the last two weeks and written it up so it's on file, but what would Ofsted say when they came, would I get marked down for it? Does anybody else not have stair gates?

MAWI
23-04-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't know what they would say. I don't have stair gates either.

catminder
23-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Depends on the ages of the children. I have found that once the hit 2 1/2 they want to climb over it. Mine is off at the moment.
X Alison

QualityCare
23-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I have stair gates but very rarely use them, l have an open plan living area with the stairs in it and children are taught from as soon as they can crawl that they do not go on the stairs, l can see the stairs at all times, the last time l put it on was for a couple of weeks when l had a 12mt old climber who wouldn't stay away. At my last inspection l had a crawler and was asked if l used a gate l just explained in what circumstances l would use it.

tulip0803
23-04-2014, 10:53 AM
I have a wall mounted gate (the pressure gates pushed the bannisters out and I don't like the step through ones) but it is normally open - I only close it when I have a new crawler or toddlers who decide they want to see upstairs whatever I say:rolleyes::rolleyes:

AliceK
23-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I used to have one but one year I took it off for my Xmas break and it was so much nicer I never put it back up. I teach the children they are not allowed to climb the stairs. Ofsted were fine about it. There is no use constantly preventing children from doing things we should teach them that they are not allowed to do certain things. I'm sure they must visit other houses / buildings where there are no stair gates and they need to learn that it is not okay to just climb them.

xxxx

Miss freckles
23-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm def going to leave them off, I believe the children who I have are so used to not ever going up the stairs they just seem to know they don't go up there, all my parents are happy and I'm hoping that recording details of it being risk assessed over the last couple of weeks will help when explaining to Ofsted especially when I explain I feel it is safer.

Just wanted to know if others also had no stair gates so it makes me feel better knowing some of you don't use them either.

Maza
23-04-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't have one and didn't have one for my own child. Ofsted asked about it and were satisfied that I had risk assessed the situation. I usually follow the crawlers around anyway (when they're not following me around that is!).

Chatterbox Childcare
23-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't have stair gates as they won't fit to my spindles. I just teach children not to go up - repetition and education. I also have a baby den that I can open up to block the access if need be

FloraDora
23-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I have 2 stair gates that I mainly use to prevent my 13 year old Labrador retriever from accessing areas that I don't want him to be, depending on the time of day: he loves to sneak upstairs when LO's are sleeping and lie next to a cot, instinctively protective I think, but I still don't let him do it! Sometimes when they arrive he is really excited and because of his size, a tail flick can off balance a LO so he has to wag his tail from the kitchen. I also have a just turned 3 who is exploring boundaries so the one at the top of my stairs means he doesn't disappear upstairs when my other LO is sitting on the toilet or into the kitchen when my DH is cooking, we move them round, depending on what needs limiting.
This LO is beginning to get the picture so this wont be necessary I don't think after the hols. (I am term time only so still enjoying a break).

On the whole though I agree that children should be taught where they can and can't go without barriers .....they are just useful occasionally to reinforce your message if you know you are going to be occupied doing something else. I would also say it depends on the child, some are more inquisitive than others, some accept boundaries more than others....

Tracie Morrison
23-04-2014, 08:31 PM
When I had my registration visit I was told that gates were not necessary and that I could use them just if I saw fit, dependent on child and situation. I use one on my kitchen when I dont want the children in there unsupervised, but rarely have one on the stairs.

Kerry30
24-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I used to have one up when all the lo's were crawling/just starting to walk. But took it down over xmas and thought I'd see how it went. None are even interested in going upstairs. In fact it works better without as they now sit on the bottom step when they take their shoes off! One lo tried her luck at collection time but doesnt anymore!!

shortstuff
24-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I use 1 between my playroom and dining room to stop fingers being closed in it, also to keep the little ones away from the sleepers. I also have one on my patio doors as its a bit of a step to go out and it prevents any LOs from falling out. I havent ever had one on my stairs as upstairs it off limits and they only go near them on their way in or out and I am with them then.

wee_elf
24-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I have been told that once the children are big and strong enough to climb over the gates then you should take them away as they pose more of a risk if they did climb and fell. This would be different if using as a space divider though I guess :)

toddlers896
24-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I have never used a stair gate. When Ofsted did my inspection I explained I had one in the garage and would use it if it was necessary and she was happy with this. If the kids try and climb my stairs, I tell them with a firm no and after a few times they get the hint. Obviously I keep a close eye on them but I wont put a gate up as I believe they need to learn. I also don't move ornaments etc, I tell them no right from the start and they know what they can and cant do.

hectors house
25-04-2014, 01:15 AM
I don't have an open plan lounge so stairs are in hall, have never had gate at bottom of stairs, as others have said, bottom stair is used for putting shoes on and off, mindees are told that they can only go up stairs when nap time. I do have stair gate to keep mindees out of kitchen as my dogs are in there, have now got a babydan no trip gate and really wish I had got one earlier as I don't trip over a bottom bar now and it opens full width, so no more bruised legs! Currently on holiday in Thailand, have seen children on parents mopeds and scooters, with no helmets, young kids standing in back of moving trucks, not saying these are safe things to allow, but sometimes feel we over protect our kids - they should learn that no means no!

JKL
25-04-2014, 07:25 AM
My DS is 10 months and so we have three. One on the living room door, one from lounge to kitchen and one at the top of the stairs. I haven't bothered to place one at the bottom of the stairs as I personally don't think we need it. Unless the LO's are entering/leaving the house they would never be near my stairs anyway.

The only reason we have one at the top is to stop the budding gymnasts! Namely my mother :p she has a tendency to miss steps through not paying attention and the gate means she has to focus on what she's doing from the off! Ridiculous isn't it! Lol!

xx

lilac_dragon
25-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I have a stair gate for a very different reason to other people!
My husband smokes. None of us like it but it's his decision, and as he says very firmly, this is his house too.
He does however, smoke in only one room in the house, which none of the rest of us enter as we don't like the tobacco smell. It's at the front of the house and my childminding is done in 2 rear rooms, (through the Hall and along the 15 foot passageway)
Our house has high handles on the doors - my chin height. So only older children can reach them.
Ofsted asked how I prevented the children from entering, I said they were all told that room was out of bounds.
They said what was there to stop a child from entering anyway, finding his cigarettes and a lighter and smoking a cigarette!
When I said there was ME to stop them, as I do actually look after the children not go off and leave them alone, the Inspector said Not Good Enough. She wanted a padlock on the door to ensure they couldn't get in. EVEN IF HE WAS IN THERE!!!
Apart from the fact that if there was a fire, inside the room or out, he could burn to death, I said I didn't actually want the padlock on my door thank you very much. This is my home not a prison.
The compromise was to take the stairgate off the stairs and put it across the doorway of my childminding room.

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 11:48 AM
The only reason we have one at the top is to stop the budding gymnasts! Namely my mother :p she has a tendency to miss steps through not paying attention and the gate means she has to focus on what she's doing from the off! Ridiculous isn't it! Lol!

xx

Lol bless her! my mother used to have one on her stairs for the same reason and because her dog would often do the same too!! talk about dogs becoming like their owners :laughing::laughing::laughing:

wee_elf
25-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't have an open plan lounge so stairs are in hall, have never had gate at bottom of stairs, as others have said, bottom stair is used for putting shoes on and off, mindees are told that they can only go up stairs when nap time. I do have stair gate to keep mindees out of kitchen as my dogs are in there, have now got a babydan no trip gate and really wish I had got one earlier as I don't trip over a bottom bar now and it opens full width, so no more bruised legs! Currently on holiday in Thailand, have seen children on parents mopeds and scooters, with no helmets, young kids standing in back of moving trucks, not saying these are safe things to allow, but sometimes feel we over protect our kids - they should learn that no means no!

So true! I think we are a little OTT with safety measures at times :)

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 04:19 PM
So true! I think we are a little OTT with safety measures at times :)

Definately! Im all for risk assessing but at the end of the day children have to learn and if we wrap them up in cotton wool they never will?

Kaybee
26-04-2014, 07:12 AM
I use a stair gate but mainly to keep my dog out of the room while the children eat. The gate is between my lounge and entrance hallway. I have one Lo (mindee) that always tries to climb the stairs when his dad arrives to collect him but then he will do anything he can to be naughty then. Like. Pulling up my flowers, pinching me, wrecking anything he can get hold of! :(