PDA

View Full Version : Sensory play

littleDs31
23-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Am about to do spaghetti sensory play. It's my first time with babies (9mth &14mth).imam stripping them to their vests and placing a tub of spaghetti between them and giving them a wooden spoon each. I can't think of any other way to do it, anyone any ideas or advice?

Maza
23-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Sounds fab! They will probably want to use their hands so have wipes/cloth close by. I would put a mat down on the floor too! Does the tub have deep sides? Will they be able to see into it? If not you might want to put it on a plate/shallow dish. You could give them some containers to drop the spaghetti into. Just watch what they do and add to it/take away as you go along. Some children would play with it for ages, some just a few seconds and some might not like it at all! Good luck, I love observing sensory play! x

FloraDora
23-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I have seen lots of blogs about sensory play and spaghetti which do exactly what you are proposing so I expect it will go well. Enjoy.

I am going to stick my neck out here though and say that I feel a little uncomfortable when I see food used just for play...I worked for a number of years in an area of some deprivation where children often went hungry at the weekends, where I was giving out vouchers for food banks daily, you just need to read Jak Munroe's blog and introduction in her cookbook, 'A girl called Jak ' to get an insight into what real poverty is like.

I think the spaghetti and pasta experience can be gained whilst eating it.

I think it is important to give a variety of planned experience so that children get opportunities to play through their senses and actively use their senses as they explore the world, I just never use food, they can explore their senses as they smell it cooking or on their plate and the textures as they eat it, but not through play, it's just a waste of food that someone could have benefitted from, plus when I want them to eat food and not play with it the messages are confusing!