PDA

View Full Version : Individual routines

leahsfx
23-04-2014, 09:03 AM
I'd like to be inclusive and am aware parents have a way of doing things with their LO but when you mind them do they have to fit into your routine or do you accommodate each individual?

I have had an enquiry from 2 parents who both have quite strict routines. The routines wouldn't fit in with my already planned lunch times and school runs as their lunch/naps are different to mine.

How would you work this?

line6
23-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I would try to accommodate as much as is reasonably possible but if parents don't want you to bend their routines at all then they may be at the wrong provider - after all you have to do the school run so if lo is asleep/needs feeding then this will have to fit in around what you can't change. If I'm at home I would try to do what parent does for the child's sake but it is impossible to stick to everyone's strict routines.

tulip0803
23-04-2014, 10:05 AM
I try to accommodate families routines but you are not going to be able to accommodate all routines all the time. School runs are non-negotiable I have to do school runs as I have 2 DDs at different schools. Parents need to be aware that when they come into a childminding setting there has to be a compromise sometimes as we care for several children of different ages. If they are not willing to compromise they need a nanny that only cares for their child so can follow their routines.

I have set food times for older children but babies in particular often fall either side of this and I accommodate and earlier/later breakfast, lunch or tea and eventually they move to eating at the same times as the rest.

The baby I have now has no routine at all which is just as disruptive as I cannot plan when he will eat/sleep from one day to next:rolleyes:

Maza
23-04-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree, they might need a nanny if they are no willing to compromise - you can't split yourself in two! I had a little one when I was new and wanted to please the family. His routine was so rigid that it really go me down in the end. Because I only had my DD and no other mindees I stuck to his routine, which meant my daughter had to stay indoors for huge chunks of the day because he had two naps a day, slap bang in the middle of any playgroup session, and could only sleep in a silent, darkened room. I am so angry with myself that I did this and will never agree to it again. Mindee then started going to a nursery for two days a week (coming to me for the rest of the week) and he had to fit in with their routines - one sleep and in a semi dark room with lots of other children. He is now so much more adaptable and I can let him have a sleep in the pushchair if we want to go out and about. Children do adapt - be strong, parents have to be realistic! x

leahsfx
23-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks :) I'll be honest with parents from the start I think, offer to accommodate as best I can but fit into a routine that's best for everyone (including myself) it's hard when first starting out as I want to please everyone and get a good name but I need to start as I mean to go on!

smurfette
23-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks :) I'll be honest with parents from the start I think, offer to accommodate as best I can but fit into a routine that's best for everyone (including myself) it's hard when first starting out as I want to please everyone and get a good name but I need to start as I mean to go on!

I always tell parents it is a mix of both.: I fit into their routine as far as possible (usually this is mostly about two naps a day) and they start to adjust to ours. I also tell them that little ones can manage two different routines they get to know what happens at home and what happens at childminders. I think the routine I have is pretty average for little ones aged 1 to 3 which is the age range I seem to end up with, so not unreasonable, the problem is parents who want what I offer (lots of outings and toddler sessions) but also want a rigid routine including a sleep morning in a cot!

Rubybubbles
23-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I agree, they might need a nanny if they are no willing to compromise - you can't split yourself in two! I had a little one when I was new and wanted to please the family. His routine was so rigid that it really go me down in the end. Because I only had my DD and no other mindees I stuck to his routine, which meant my daughter had to stay indoors for huge chunks of the day because he had two naps a day, slap bang in the middle of any playgroup session, and could only sleep in a silent, darkened room. I am so angry with myself that I did this and will never agree to it again. Mindee then started going to a nursery for two days a week (coming to me for the rest of the week) and he had to fit in with their routines - one sleep and in a semi dark room with lots of other children. He is now so much more adaptable and I can let him have a sleep in the pushchair if we want to go out and about. Children do adapt - be strong, parents have to be realistic! x

Gina ford baby then!!

loocyloo
23-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Gina ford baby then!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)