PDA

View Full Version : Should you ALWAYS go with your instinct..?

LittleStars
24-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Im a newbie here but have been childminding for a while.

Im recruiting for September as I had 2 of my littlies move away and had a family come to see me last week. The child was gorgeous and I chatted happily to the mum who seemed really really lovely. Dad came to see me a few days later and all was fine. They asked me to have the LO full time from Oct and are coming to sign contracts tomorrow. I was delighted.

The trouble is I have a niggle....you know one of those ones that wont quite go away..its really silly but while I was talking to the mum on the phone a few days ago and we were talking about her nanny (they currently have a well loved nanny who has to leave for family reasons) and I suggested she talk with the nanny before comitting to a start date with me, as nanny may need to look for other work etc. She said " My nanny will do as I tell her to do, we are paying her and she will do as she is told" it was said with real 'malice' too not in a jokey kind of way.... Arghhhhh Its just niggling in the back of my mind...Im a great childminder..but Im very much self employed! We have a hectic and full schedule and I guess Im concerned that she is going to expect me to 'do as Im told!'

Im normally very much a go on your instincts girl...but this will be my only full timer and considerable chunk of my income.

Should I forget about it? Or should I reiterate how I work when she comes to sign contracts tomorrow?

They really did all seem very nice.....

LS

Pudding Girl
24-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Give it a go - at the end of the day the Nanny has to do as she is told doesn't she - I am sure they know that you don't - esp if you make that very very clear next time you see them, maybe broach the subject by saying "oh I couldn't be a Nanny I like being my own boss and running my own business too much" etc

Will you be setting a trial period with notice able to be given if it's not working?

ajs
24-07-2008, 05:51 PM
i think i would just remind her that you're not her employee while she's there, and that you may not do as you're told once the little one is in your care.

it could have been that the nanny has upset her for some reason and she is just cross with her, but i would try to get the facts across before you sign.

good luck though

Hannahlg
24-07-2008, 06:03 PM
i would give it ago - and maybe talk to her

charleyfarley
24-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Give it a go after all a nanny is employed by that family, you however are not.

Perhaps the mom isn't happy with her coz she's leaving and can't hide the fact she's not happy.

Some parents do think they own us but you have to put them straight right from the start. Do this and I think you will be fine.

Carol xx

breezy
24-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Give it a try, have a trial period and see how it goes as you are your own boss!
Georges idea was good about telling her you couldn't be a nanny and why, good luck

miffy
24-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Just make sure that everything is discussed and written into the contract so there can be no misunderstandings.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Gherkin
24-07-2008, 10:43 PM
If needs be put a longer than usual trial period in. I recon people settle into it after a month usually, but you could do 8 weeks to cover any doubts.

angeldelight
25-07-2008, 06:20 AM
I agree with everyone give it a go

Make sure she understands YOUR RULES when she signs contracts etc

Did she say why she was going to have a childminder this time and why she no longer wants the nanny ? There might be a story and maybe something has happened so she is not happy with the nanny

Go for it and I hope it works out

Angel xxx

Pedagog
25-07-2008, 07:05 AM
It is probably just that she is angry with the nanny for letting her down, and making her have to find alternative childcare.

Twinkles
25-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Having been a nanny myself I'm afraid that attitude is all too common !
However, I have never been treated like that as a childminder.
Like the others have said have a long settling in period and reiterate your rules when you sign them up.

Pipsqueak
25-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I would agree about giving it a go but putting in an extra long settling in period. If you still get niggling doubts or "vibes" then yes follow your gut reaction.
I would make it very clear to the parent that this is your show and she/they don't own you - they are choosing to use your service.

I would also say that do what you feel is right.

LittleStars
25-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks, you have all reassured me a bit.

I will drop a few unsubtle hints this afternoon when she comes about being self employed and how much I like being my own boss etc I have a 4 week settling in period in the contract which should be enough to get a good measure of them.

I really did like them all and the LO one gorgeous. Hopefully seeing them all again will reassure me futher.

Thanks

disney
25-07-2008, 09:10 AM
im not sure if i would give it a go im sorry but if theirs one thing i can honestly say that ihave learnt and thats to go with the feel of your own instincts :) i can only speake for my self and when i have done this its always been right for me :D still you have to do what you feel is right hope it goes well x

melanieabigail2004
25-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree with the others and would put a longer settling in period into the contract. Also reiterate that you are self employed etc when they come to do contracts - if it doesn't work you can address it after the settling in.

Good luck!

Mel

butterfly
26-07-2008, 08:09 PM
i would give it a go but make some large hints! i also have lots of policies which i make parents read and sign to say they agree with them! hopefully then there can't be any come back!

LittleStars
26-07-2008, 08:51 PM
They came yesterday to sign the contracts and all is fine. Mum was lovely and explained that she had been having some problems with nanny about her notice and nanny had decided to leave early, so I had probably caught her at the wrong moment when I called. I did re-iterate our schedules and how I love the fact that I can plan our days and activities etc and made very clear about the trial period etc

Im really excited... so glad its not bothering me anymore.

Had some great news today aswell, a family came to see me on Friday about my last 3 day space called me today to say that the wanted it...so apart from one school pickup space (providing they sign on the dotted line). Im officially full! Hurrah

Jen

Donkey
28-07-2008, 12:15 PM
congrats on being very neaarly full!

I hope it does work out for you :)