PDA

View Full Version : when do you tell existing families that a new child is coming?

ziggy
22-04-2014, 03:01 PM
I have 2 mindees, one started last june the other in january. I have new family visiting this evening, with 4month old baby.

Hopefully she will be starting May 6th, so just wondered do you tell existing families when contract is signed, few days before child starts or say nothing?

I hate it when they ask for details of new family. Had bad experience with 2 families in December and just being very careful now

caz3007
22-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Glad things are looking up for you. I do tell parents but only a few days before. Personally I would just mention that you have a new 5 month old starting and leave it at that

AliceK
22-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I just say something casually in conversation but I don't make a big thing of it. It's not like you need to ask for permission is it.

xxx

QualityCare
22-04-2014, 03:20 PM
If they do a setting in period with existing children l usually tell the parents on that day 1. in case the child mentions to parents that a new child came and 2. in case child is a bit upset when parents collect. Really pleased things are on the up for you.

Kiddleywinks
22-04-2014, 04:45 PM
I tell parents on the day that a new starter coincides with their child, so they know who their LO is talking about.
Are you mentioning it in a way that you're asking their permission rather than saying what's happening?
(Not sure that's coming across right, but I'm sure you know what I mean lol)

ziggy
22-04-2014, 04:58 PM
I tell parents on the day that a new starter coincides with their child, so they know who their LO is talking about.
Are you mentioning it in a way that you're asking their permission rather than saying what's happening?
(Not sure that's coming across right, but I'm sure you know what I mean lol)

No, not asking permission, just want to let them know a new child is starting and wondered when others let families know. Guess after upset with families before i am just a bit wary now, thanks for reply, much appreciated. Think i will tell both families friday before child starts

Mouse
22-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Whenever possible I get the new child in for a settling in session on one of the days they be coming here. That way they meet the children they will be mixing with. I'll tell parents then that this is the new child who is joining us.

If that doesn't happen, I tell current parents on the new child's first day.

karen2010
22-04-2014, 06:29 PM
I think it's only polite to tell Parents about prospective LO before the settling in period.
If I had my LO being cared for by a Childminder I would like to know of any major changes to my LOs day,and a new LO starting is definately a big change.
Obviously I am not asking their permission,but I do reassure them that the new LO is on a 2 week trial once they start,as their LO was, and that I will be closely watching to make sure all is going well.
My existing Parents are my bread and butter, and I think they like to be as informed as possible about changes.
That's just how I roll, works for me !!!!!
Xx

loocyloo
22-04-2014, 06:54 PM
As I tend to do prospective parent interviews whilst I'm working, I tell parents that someone is coming to visit.
And then I generally tell mindees that we have a new child coming once contracts signed, and then a bit more info when child starts settling sessions. I write that X came to play in daily diaries and don't really mention it much more than that to the parents. With mindees we talk about new mindee and how old they are/ what they can do etc. I have a new babe starting this week and so we've been talking about being aware of small items being on the floor and taking the buggy everywhere etc!
I always welcome new children in my termly newsletter.

toddlers896
22-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I tell everybody on my private Facebook page. I.e I would like to welcome Mary to our setting. She will be with us for two days a week etc

Zoomie
22-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I tell my existing mindees and reiterate information when they are collected (ie, tomorrow x y and z will be here). So I tell parents in an indirect manner.

chriss
22-04-2014, 09:44 PM
I try not to give too much info, confidentiality and all that. They will find out bits n bobs from their own child anyway, which I cant be responsible for.