PDA

View Full Version : last minute holiday

mummylovatt
22-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Morning all!
I have 2 brothers 3 days a week, normally weds, thurs fri this week I was asked if weds could be changed for tues, yep fine re arranged other stuff as I pride myself on providing a flexible service.
Anway 8am drop off comes and goes eventually got hold of mum as 8.50, to be told she had said she would let me know about the day change( which she didnt and I took it as changed when she asked to change!) and she informed me that they won't be coming at all this week as she has deceided to go away for the week!
So fed up thats 3 full days of pay,I've changed other plans and turned down some work,my contracts state half fees for their hols but really really tempted to charge full for the inconvieniance of such a last minut decision! what would you all do? :mad:

karen2010
22-04-2014, 08:23 AM
What notice does it say in your contract that she has to give u of her hols ??
Mine is a months notice,if she hasn't given you that I would charge her full price !!
Cheeky mare ! Really inconsiderate x

loocyloo
22-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I charge full fees for children's holidays unless I am away as well.

It depends what you say about holidays. Maybe it's time to review contracts and say that half fee for holidays is only offered for holidays booked with 4 weeks notice or more.
Hugs x

shortstuff
22-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Maybe time to also implement a paper booking system where hols arent booked until they have a signed slip back from you? I charge full fees if Im open so luckily this situation hasnt cropped up for me but would be upset if I were you too x

mummylovatt
22-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Maybe time to also implement a paper booking system where hols arent booked until they have a signed slip back from you? I charge full fees if Im open so luckily this situation hasnt cropped up for me but would be upset if I were you too x

That sounds like a great idea thanks:)
my contracts state 4 weeks notice, never had anything like this before so wasn't sure what to do, My contract with her is due for review soon so think I may sit down this afternoon and sort that out and will def add in short notice clause do most childminders here charge full fees for hols if they aren't taken the same time as childminder closure? x

kellib
22-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I charge half fees but only if I've had 4 weeks notice so in this case I would be charging full price.

AliceK
22-04-2014, 08:40 AM
When I used to give parents half fees for their hols it was only with a minimum of 4 weeks notice. Do you have anything written into your contracts about notice needed or maximum amount of holidays allowed at half fee? If you don't then I seriously think you need to do urgent contract reviews and write a policy for this. If you currently don't have anything about notice for holidays in your contracts then you will have to honour this but review and change things urgently.
BTW I no longer offer any reductions for parents hols. My hols are no charge.

xxx

tess1981
22-04-2014, 09:24 AM
You say you have it in contract four weeks notice is required. You didn't even get a day so I would be charging full fee. Parents sign these contracts so they know how you work I think they think they can just Argue a point or make you feel bad to wriggle out if a clause they don't like. Be so polite. Tell her enjoy her break she and the kids deserve it and you can't wait to hear about it. They hand her the bill as normal when it due for full fer and If she says anything just remind her about the contract and four weeks notice needed for half fee

tess1981
22-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Btw in my contract my holidays and parents holidays are full fee...I take 26 days a year off. No one argued yet and if they do they would have to move on

Goatgirl
22-04-2014, 09:28 AM
hi :),
How annoying!!
This is very inconsiderate of the parent so I would definitely be charging in full as you didn't receive the required notice. If queried say "Oh no its only for holiday where I'm given 4 weeks notice, its so that I have a chance to recoup lost earnings and can plan my week effectively"... with a cheery smile (and refer her to the contract)....
You are a business, you have bills to pay, a family to support and your policies and contracts exist to protect both you and the parents: bottom line - if you don't earn enough you'll go out of business. I strongly advise that you don't let this parent walk all over you. She needs a reminder that her actions have consequences.
Maybe she'll be more considerate next time :rolleyes:
Good luck :thumbsup:

Goatgirl
22-04-2014, 09:34 AM
By the way I charge in full for parents holidays. Nothing at all for mine.
Keeps things simple to understand: If open they pay regardless of attendance and they seem to be able to get their heads around this, even if they are reluctant, when I remind them that I don't charge for my time off though I would be entitled to and many childminders do.

Your contract conditions are what she has agreed to.

As she quibbled over the details of the day change you agreed I would ask for everything in writing in future - either write a short note for her to sign she agrees to, or even just a clear text message which you can refer her back to :thumbsup: