PDA

View Full Version : Big Week ahead!

natlou82
21-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Tomorrow is my first proper day in childminding, I've done a few settling in sessions, but I have 4 new starters this week all a mix of before and after school. I'm extremely excited but also a little scared! Just want everything to work out. Has anyone got any first week tips?

Mouse
21-04-2014, 12:41 PM
How exciting!

My tips would be:

try to be as prepared as possible, but don't worry if things don't go to plan.

be firm with the children - you're there to look after them & keep them safe, not be their friend. I've seen so many new childminders afraid of upsetting the children that they let them get away with everything.

don't feel you have to plan activities for every minute the children are with you. It does them good to have to amuse themselves as well

get your wine cooling in the fridge ready for when they've all gone home :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
21-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Be calm! Don't expect too much, just get to know the children, have simple things out like colouring, home made play dough, nothing that is too taxing for you or them, we're going to add some icing and strawberry laces to biscuits on Wednesday for St Georges day, really really simple and quick to do! Good luck!!

natlou82
21-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks this is great advice :-) I will definitely keep these in mind, especially when things aren't going to plan x

MessybutHappy
21-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks this is great advice :-) I will definitely keep these in mind, especially when things aren't going to plan x

Plans are what Ofsted like, what some of us have and what most of us enjoy changing on a minute by minute basis!!!! None of my children buy into my plans, the little rotters!!!

natlou82
21-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Looking forward to figuring all this out lol :-D

sing-low
21-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Plans are what Ofsted like, what some of us have and what most of us enjoy changing on a minute by minute basis!!!! None of my children buy into my plans, the little rotters!!!

Agree. I do lots of 'retrospective planning'!

KatieFS
22-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Yes I would mimic what's been said with the motto - keep it simple. Plan very little.
You aim this week is to get to know the children and test out all processes.
I remember my first week. It was when we had really awful weather! Tropical rain every day for nursery run and school run.
Fun!! I expected way too much and wished I'd have just took each day as it came for a bit.

I've changed so much since then! Now much more realistic!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes! X

natlou82
22-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Thank you Katie :-)

natlou82
22-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Phew! First day done, really happy :-) was super fast! I did keep it simple and it went smoothly, roll on tomorrow, going to be a bit more hectic but looking forward to it.

KatieFS
22-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Well done! Day one done and dusted! Xx

natlou82
23-04-2014, 05:10 AM
Thanks Katie x

MessybutHappy
23-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Well done and thanks for letting us know! keep up the good work!!

Maza
23-04-2014, 12:02 PM
So how did day 2 go? x

wee_elf
23-04-2014, 02:58 PM
hope you have had a great 2nd day!

natlou82
23-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Still tidying lol! All the mindees were brilliant, we made swords and shields for St George's Day and they all joined in, so I was very pleased. They then played lovely together in the garden :-). Wasn't as smooth with my own DS though, he's 8 and has decided to turn from well behaved to wild. He's obviously excited to have new friends to play with, but he is not listening and not doing anything I tell him. I felt quite embarrassed with a parent tonight as he was refusing to stop being ridiculously loud and silly. I have had a firm chat with him now and he's having an early night! Roll on tomorrow :-)

natlou82
24-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Day 3, amazing I'm actually a bit hyper! My DS was so much better behaved today. I feel like I'm starting to find my feet, and I've definitely made a good decision to have a career change :-D

MessybutHappy
24-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Well done! You should blog this, you're enthusiasm and honesty shines through! Glad your ds toed the line, he was probably testing to see where he featured in the new pack!

Maza
24-04-2014, 07:22 PM
There are soooo many threads on here about childminder's own children playing up, especially in front of other parents at pick up/drop off time! Yes, be firm with him but also tell him how proud of him you are so that jealousy doesn't creep in. It's a big adjustment for him to be sharing his house and his mum. You sound like you are doing a brilliant job! Well done. x

karen2010
24-04-2014, 07:58 PM
My little girl was 8 when I started minding and took her a good few months to adjust x
I constantly tell her how much I love her but that this is Mummy's job now,and means I can spend so much more time with her.
Not easy to have to learn to share your mum though x
She has embarrassed me a few times previously in front of Mums, when she questions what I am talking to the Mums about !
However she is now wonderful with my mindees,but does retreat to her bedroom every so often for a bit of escape !
Well done sounds like you are having a great first week xxxxxx

natlou82
24-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone, I did tell him how pleased I was tonight, I know it's a big change for him as well as me. I also have a DD who's 4, she's loving having others to play with. Looking forward to day 4 :-D

natlou82
25-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Well my first week is done :-). I am so happy with how it has gone. My mindees are wonderful, and seem very settled and happy already. This is definitely the right fit for me, after spending 10 years in a job I never even wanted to do (but it fit round my family - which as always been very important). Gonna have a nice glass of wine tonight to celebrate :-D

KatieFS
25-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Friday such a good feeling - gawd I've had a mad week. Relaxing now aaahhhhh!

Well done you. I'm sure your lo will be ok - I try to involve mine as much as I can. Lots of love and cuddles when kids go home too.

Vikki5531
25-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Well my first week is done :-). I am so happy with how it has gone. My mindees are wonderful, and seem very settled and happy already. This is definitely the right fit for me, after spending 10 years in a job I never even wanted to do (but it fit round my family - which as always been very important). Gonna have a nice glass of wine tonight to celebrate :-D

I hope I'm as lucky as you once I'm registered :) Glad your first week went well. Enjoy your wine xx

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Just read your full thread, Im sitting here smiling for you! Congratulations!! I hope my first week goes just as well!! :excited:

natlou82
25-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone :-) I'm also sure my son will be fine as all the children absolutely love him as he's the oldest and has a great imagination :-). I made a real fuss of my 2 tonight after everyone had gone home and lots of hugs. Good luck Vicky with your registration x and Tracie I hope you get some luck soon signing your first mindees x

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone :-) I'm also sure my son will be fine as all the children absolutely love him as he's the oldest and has a great imagination :-). I made a real fuss of my 2 tonight after everyone had gone home and lots of hugs. Good luck Vicky with your registration x and Tracie I hope you get some luck soon signing your first mindees x

Thank you! I have a 10yr DD who I am sure will have the same issues as your DS, but like your DS she has a fab imagination and is loved by younger children! my younger 7yr DD cant wait for new friends and is hoping we get a baby! she is very maternal and wants to be my assistant lol. Hope you enjoyed your wine! xxx

natlou82
26-04-2014, 06:23 AM
The wine was a nice treat ;-). Fingers crossed for you Tracie x

KatieFS
30-04-2014, 06:07 PM
So how's it going!!?!

natlou82
30-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for asking Katie, all is good except I already have a mindee off with chicken pox! Tomorrow I introduce my niece and nephew into the mix, my nephew is only 6 months so looking forward to our time together :-). I'm definitely seeing that you have to go with the flow as someone said earlier. I thought painting rocks outside was a great idea, apparently not lol (me and my DD still enjoyed it though) whilst everyone else played chasing games in the garden.

KatieFS
30-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Sounds exactly like how most of my planned stuff goes!! Poor lo chicken pox!

Tracie Morrison
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I thought painting rocks outside was a great idea, apparently not lol (me and my DD still enjoyed it though) whilst everyone else played chasing games in the garden.

Lol I can see that happening with me, I love everything craft and can get quite engrossed while the children go off to explore elsewhere :blush::laughing:

natlou82
01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
As long as they're happy I'm happy :-D