PDA

View Full Version : Space requirements

LittleRabbits
21-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi, EYFS states space requirements up to age 5yrs, so how do we work out for over 5s?
Under 2s - 3.5m2
2yr olds - 2.5m2
3-5yr olds - 2.3m2

If I have a room 6m by 5m, that makes 30m2 doesnt it... So does that mean (between me and my friend) we can have

2under 2s
2 2yr olds
2 3-5yr olds

That fits with ratios (6 under 5yrs between us) but what about the other 6 children over 5yrs? It leaves 13.4m2 left... Trying to work out how many children we will be allowed so we can tell ofsted...

Koala
21-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Make sure you calculate the floor space available - i.e if room is 5m x 6m = 30sq m But if you have any furniture (sofas, table, chairs, storage, cupboards etc.... in this room it needs deducting from the floor space available- so the space available is calculated by actual free floor space i.e feet on floor. :thumbsup:

LittleRabbits
21-04-2014, 04:55 PM
The room is roughly 7m x 6.5m but we have an office storage area / coats and bag area which I have deducted from the room size. Also, I read that you can include child sized furniture in the room but not adult furniture. The tables we have are child sized but can also be safely moved out of the room or stacked up to create bigger play space as and when needed.

Hopefully I have worked it out right. and then we also have a room upstairs dedicated for sleeping children but I have not included that in space as that will only be used at sleep times.