PDA

View Full Version : fridge temperature

Kidston
21-04-2014, 05:58 AM
Do you record your fridge temperature and if so how often do you record it?

AliceK
21-04-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't record mine, I used to but it was a case of unnecessary paperwork so I stopped. I do check it though numerous times a day, just got used to looking at the temperature when I go in the fridge. Actually I have a bit of a thing about checking fridge / freezer temperatures when I'm out. Was in a hospital restaurant last week and their fridge storing yogurts / milk was reading 11 :panic:

xxx

FloraDora
21-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Evidence of checking temperatures shows to Environmental officer/ ofsted that health and safety is in action, even if you do check it daily, where is your proof?
More paperwork, but not difficult - ours are checked and recorded at the same time every day, part of all my risk assessments.

Simona
21-04-2014, 09:43 AM
A fridge thermometer will show the fridge temperature ...they are not expensive and always there at a glance....is there a need for paperwork?

AliceK
21-04-2014, 12:47 PM
A fridge thermometer will show the fridge temperature ...they are not expensive and always there at a glance....is there a need for paperwork?

Environmental health told me I didn't have to log it and Ofsted have never asked me for it either which is why I stopped doing it. Anyone can look in my fridges and see what the temperature is. A tick in a box proves nothing.

xxxx

Simona
21-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Environmental health told me I didn't have to log it and Ofsted have never asked me for it either which is why I stopped doing it. Anyone can look in my fridges and see what the temperature is. A tick in a box proves nothing.

xxxx

Anyone can look at the temperature...you are right and that means either Ofsted or the Environment Officer can perform such simple task: open door...check and voila!!

Kiddleywinks
21-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Environmental health said I only needed to record something if it went wrong: so if I check the fridge temp visually each time I open the door, and notice a rise or drop to make a note then, and any action taken

Works for me :thumbs up:

Ofsted didn't ask or check anything to do with food hygiene thinking about it :-/

Simona
23-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I recall quite clearly when being trained on this subject that the temperature for a fridge should be around 3-5 degrees...anything above requires turning up the temperature control button

In addition every time we open the fridge door to put things in or take out ...unless we are very quick.... the temperature will rise very quickly indeed and clearly visible on the thermometer

I don't think that we need to record this or jot it down creating useless paperwork....close the door and all will be ok...if not get the appliance checked for safety.
Ofsted I don't think are interested in the temperature ...just that we have been trained and if they want see the certificate but then again...each inspector is different so we could speculate on this all our lives!!!

In addition while some LAs send the team to inspect cms' homes ...others do not do that at all as they do not have the funds to do so and all that cms ever see is a form to fill in and send back...so again we cannot do a comparison on this because there will be 152 variations as there LAs

Tazmin68
23-04-2014, 07:39 AM
There is a specific childminder folder you can get from food hygiene called safer food better business. I have the pages in my RA folder and yes I check fridge twice a day and freezer once a day and only need to record when there is a problem.

MAWI
23-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Environmental Health have literally just left my house. She said it was not a requirement to write down the temperatures but liked the fact that I did.

rickysmiths
23-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Evidence of checking temperatures shows to Environmental officer/ ofsted that health and safety is in action, even if you do check it daily, where is your proof?
More paperwork, but not difficult - ours are checked and recorded at the same time every day, part of all my risk assessments.

We don't need proof for them! If you have this document which we are all supposed to do:

Food Standards Agency - Safer food, better business for childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/#.U1fdsvldX8s)

all we do is record if there is a change and what we did about it. Unnecessary paperwork to record it everyday if it is all right.

rickysmiths
23-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I recall quite clearly when being trained on this subject that the temperature for a fridge should be around 3-5 degrees...anything above requires turning up the temperature control button

In addition every time we open the fridge door to put things in or take out ...unless we are very quick.... the temperature will rise very quickly indeed and clearly visible on the thermometer

I don't think that we need to record this or jot it down creating useless paperwork....close the door and all will be ok...if not get the appliance checked for safety.
Ofsted I don't think are interested in the temperature ...just that we have been trained and if they want see the certificate but then again...each inspector is different so we could speculate on this all our lives!!!

In addition while some LAs send the team to inspect cms' homes ...others do not do that at all as they do not have the funds to do so and all that cms ever see is a form to fill in and send back...so again we cannot do a comparison on this because there will be 152 variations as there LAs

But Food Hygiene training is not a requirement under EYFS so no Inspector could expect to see a Cert or indeed demand one mand if they tried I would challenge them. You are right I have never been inspected and have only filled in a form and sent it back to the EHO. Our area do not require a FH Cert either.

Simona
23-04-2014, 04:48 PM
But Food Hygiene training is not a requirement under EYFS so no Inspector could expect to see a Cert or indeed demand one mand if they tried I would challenge them. You are right I have never been inspected and have only filled in a form and sent it back to the EHO. Our area do not require a FH Cert either.

I was not referring to a training certificate because I know that food and hygiene is not compulsory although some cms do attend it.

I was referring to the piece of paper...whatever we want to call it.... that comes from the Environment Health that proves we are registered with them
I worded the sentence very wrong.