PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health

MAWI
19-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I have a visit from them on Wednesday- should I be worried???

What do they check? Do they check any paperwork.

Never had one before so not sure what to expect.

Many thanks

Mrsh3103
19-04-2014, 09:58 AM
When I had mine he wanted to see my food hygiene certificate, looked at the cleanliness of my kitchen, Checked that I had recorded fridge temps and wanted to see my food probe.

A cm friend had hers a few weeks later and all he did was ask a few questions but didn't want to see anything else (same la). I think, like with ofsted, it all depends on the inspector.

bunyip
19-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Mine was fine, even though I get very nervous about any kind of test/inspection/examinations.

Just curious. :confused: How come you've never had a visit before? Is it for a specific reason or response to a complaint? Are you registered as a food business?

MAWI
19-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Mine was fine, even though I get very nervous about any kind of test/inspection/examinations.

Just curious. :confused: How come you've never had a visit before? Is it for a specific reason or response to a complaint? Are you registered as a food business?

No, no complaints. I change counties. I had a break from childminding between 2012 and re starting last month. I did not need one in my last county. Different counties want different things I guess. I have registered with local authrity and this is their first visit after registering. So although I have childminder for 7 years, I have never had an Inspection.

bunyip
20-04-2014, 01:31 PM
No, no complaints. I change counties. I had a break from childminding between 2012 and re starting last month. I did not need one in my last county. Different counties want different things I guess. I have registered with local authrity and this is their first visit after registering. So although I have childminder for 7 years, I have never had an Inspection.

All clear now. :)

You're certainly correct that different counties have different expectations.

Good luck, though I'm sure you don't need it. :thumbsup:

Bluebell
20-04-2014, 02:01 PM
to reassure you the role of the EHO is to advise and support. If there was something they were concerned about it would be a matter of letting you know and asking you to remedy it -we had one at a pre-school recently and they picked up on a couple of things - like suggested staff use aprons when preparing food and hot water should not be paid for through a meter.

I had my home one a couple of years ago and was able to ask questions and they were really helpful.

Is all very basic and common sense - hand-washing, clean surfaces, although as a homeowner I had never checked the temperature of my fridge before I was a childminder!

They might even be able to give you a copy of the guidelines which is something like safer food, better business. They sent mine to me before my inspection so I could read up! ;)