PDA

View Full Version : Special Needs etc

JKL
18-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has and pearls of wisdom they can impart in regards to special needs, autism in particular.

One of my potential mindees is currently being tested for autism and although I've had a teeny bit of experience of autism in the past I just wondered if anyone could recommend any specific resources that would be useful?!?

What do you consider to be invaluable?!?

TIA xx

QualityCare
18-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Until a proper assessment has been done l wouldn't be looking at getting specific things it could be that he has a very mild form that needs no special resources, the parents must have discussed his needs with you and what led them to believe he is autistic they will be given advice on what is the best way to treat the child and will pass this on to you.

VeggieSausage
18-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Each child with autism is different and will depend on their age, likes and dislikes etc....

amyp
18-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Use a picture routine it's great for all children autistic or not! Print them from ****** or sparkle box. Give choices from 2 pictures. Also it takes an autistic person 8 seconds to process a question so just be patient. Your council will provide training.

Enjoy!! I love working with people with autism xx

JKL
18-04-2014, 07:58 PM
I did have a chat with mum when she was discussing the testing and she seems to think I won't need to get any "additional" resources.

From a personal perspective I would like to undertake some training that would assist me when LO is having difficulties. Does anyone know anywhere that offers autism awareness training in NW England that doesn't cost the earth?

TIA x

watford wizz
18-04-2014, 09:14 PM
We fostered an autistic child for 8 years and our saving grace was the national autistic society. Don't know if you'd get training free but advice brilliant and resources x

JKL
18-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I shall do the picture cards and I'll contact the national autistic society to see about training. Thanks for the help xxx