PDA

View Full Version : Fish tanks

ja-lula-belli
17-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I all I'm thinking of getting fish.
Not a huge one all risk assessed (all that stuff covered) just on about the fish now lol

How many of you have fish? Which type? Cold water , tropical or marine ? Id love to keep salt water marine like nemo and Dori but it seems really difficult and expensive thing to do. Have to keep your own coral reef and ph levels etc.
anyway I digress...
I'd love to know about all of your fish and tanks and size and how the kids act towards them?
Or even if you wouldn't have fish for any reason?

loocyloo
17-04-2014, 05:39 PM
We have a couple of goldfish and danou ( or something like that! )

They are cold water fish and are pretty easy. We change 1/3 water every week or so. We keep pond weed in the tank. LOs sometimes sit and watch them but not that fussed. Think they might go and live in ds room as they are really his!

primula
17-04-2014, 05:48 PM
I have a couple of parrot fish, kids really like them and I find them really helpful when settling new babies!! marine fish are really expensive and need lots of care, I would go for tropical fish guppies are good, have lots of live babies and are interesting for the older kids and your own kids too!

ajc
17-04-2014, 07:52 PM
We have a tropical tank, prob about 3ft long, needs quite a lot of cleaning in summer, sun makes the algae grow quick. The kids love the fish and its always a talking point, prob have about 12fish in it and a large catfish. It always seems to be a bit of a soother for babies they love looking at it. Ofsted lady was a bit obsessed first time round, second one never mentioned it. Cleaning out prob takes hubby half an hour every month so not bad, I'd say to for it!

ja-lula-belli
17-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks for your comments. I am going to get a tank. And tropical as I myself love all the colours.

FloraDora
17-04-2014, 08:58 PM
We have a lovely tank of Neon Tetras and Zebra danios. They are cold water so really easy to keep. They are tiny but make a big impression by swimming in shoals. They are colourful and lovely to look at through the water.

My LO's love to watch them as they are really active, one stands looking for ages, they are so relaxing to watch.
The Tank was the biggest cost: Fluval Edge Aquarium 46L in Gloss Black (In Store) | Pets At Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fish/cold-water-fish-tanks---accessories/cold-water-fish-tanks/fluval-edge-aquarium-46l-in-gloss-black-%28in-store%29)

We paid £70 last April in a local fish centre. It's a great tank because it isn't big but is all enclosed so ch cannot put hands in water, even if the lift the lid. Being coldwater there are no major further costs.

We originally set it up in our den, a room we can go to and relax, it was lined with books and had a music system and a record player for Friday night relaxing music nights......then a friend asked me to look after her LO in our retirement.
The den is now a room to play and read in ......and watch the fish!! The LO's love going up to it - I would so recommend fish for children.
In my previous life I had a fish tank in the entrance hall, all visitors loved it plus the children who were on 'time out ' found it a great way to calm down. Also all the work you can do around caring for them...

Go for it you won't regret it.

smurfette
17-04-2014, 10:03 PM
We have a lovely tank of Neon Tetras and Zebra danios. They are cold water so really easy to keep. They are tiny but make a big impression by swimming in shoals. They are colourful and lovely to look at through the water. My LO's love to watch them as they are really active, one stands looking for ages, they are so relaxing to watch. The Tank was the biggest cost: Fluval Edge Aquarium 46L in Gloss Black (In Store) | Pets At Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fish/cold-water-fish-tanks---accessories/cold-water-fish-tanks/fluval-edge-aquarium-46l-in-gloss-black-%28in-store%29) We paid £70 last April in a local fish centre. It's a great tank because it isn't big but is all enclosed so ch cannot put hands in water, even if the lift the lid. Being coldwater there are no major further costs. We originally set it up in our den, a room we can go to and relax, it was lined with books and had a music system and a record player for Friday night relaxing music nights......then a friend asked me to look after her LO in our retirement. The den is now a room to play and read in ......and watch the fish!! The LO's love going up to it - I would so recommend fish for children. In my previous life I had a fish tank in the entrance hall, all visitors loved it plus the children who were on 'time out ' found it a great way to calm down. Also all the work you can do around caring for them... Go for it you won't regret it.

Does that mean nothing electrical, no filters etc required?

FloraDora
18-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Does that mean nothing electrical, no filters etc required?

No unfortunately, we do have to plug in a filter, but gone are the days when you can keep fish without a filter.
The light is also separate plug too. Mine has a choice of colours, the blue looks good on a dark afternoon and draws attention to the tank, yet is peaceful.
But you don't need to keep it at a certain temperature like you do tropical and yet the fish are 'tropical like' in their colour and interest. I also have teeny tiny shrimps in there, it's good fun to hunt for them. The fish seem really robust, we haven't lost any.

If you get the planting right, with the filter you rarely need to change the water either, just clean the sides with the magnetic rubber thing we store on the top.

ja-lula-belli
18-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Sounds great. I think I'm going to take a trip to my local aquatic store. We often go there to watch the fish but This time for a purchase!

ajc
18-04-2014, 01:29 PM
We found that Angel Fish although are lovely to look at are quite aggressive with smaller fish so you might want to stay clear, staff will tell you which fish get on together.

ja-lula-belli
19-04-2014, 08:29 AM
We found that Angel Fish although are lovely to look at are quite aggressive with smaller fish so you might want to stay clear, staff will tell you which fish get on together.

Yes In the aquatic store they are colour coded red are aggressive fish green and semi and blue are placid
So obviously you pick the colour that you want and stick to it. I'm going with blue. X

amanda1309
19-04-2014, 12:38 PM

This is our fish tank
Kids love it, hubby sorts it out it's his thing

jackie 7
19-04-2014, 05:42 PM
The only pet I want is fish but don't have the space.

ja-lula-belli
25-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi all I just thought if let you know I did it. I went out today with my kids and mindees and we bought a fish tank. Unfortunately I didn't realise I had to set up the tank and then add the fish later so they were a little disappointed when we couldn't actually buy the fish today but it just means another exciting trip or two .
I am really excited and have gone for a tropical fish tank and know the fish I am getting.
Very exciting.
Eeeeek!

Tracie Morrison
25-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Reading with interest!! Have thought about getting a fish tank so looking forward to your update :thumbsup:

shortstuff
25-04-2014, 10:34 PM
We got ds a tropical tank for his birthday in December. The best thing we found to protect the fish once in there is the testing kits which use drops. It is accurate and effective n ds loves counting the drops in too.

Another thing we learned the hard way is when you wash out the filter do it in water you have removed from the tank when doing a water change. It helps to protect all of the bacteria you have built up in the tank.

If you have any other questions one of my parents has always kept tropical fish and is very used to me picking his brain :-)

ja-lula-belli
26-04-2014, 05:45 AM
We got ds a tropical tank for his birthday in December. The best thing we found to protect the fish once in there is the testing kits which use drops. It is accurate and effective n ds loves counting the drops in too. Another thing we learned the hard way is when you wash out the filter do it in water you have removed from the tank when doing a water change. It helps to protect all of the bacteria you have built up in the tank. If you have any other questions one of my parents has always kept tropical fish and is very used to me picking his brain :-)

Thank you for that tip I may be asking you a few things lol. I'm so excited!

shortstuff
26-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Thank you for that tip I may be asking you a few things lol. I'm so excited!

Ds is still chuffed lol. Its his job to put the tank light on after school. Even at the weekend he will look at the clock to figure out if he would be home yet.

sarah707
26-04-2014, 06:47 AM
We have a huge fish tank the children love it!

Risk assessment - make sure the lid is sealed, food and medicine is in a locked cupboard, children do not bang the glass and cables are tucked well behind it.

I'd suggest you buy a book - though Google can be useful too.

enjoy :D

ja-lula-belli
26-04-2014, 12:02 PM
We have a huge fish tank the children love it! Risk assessment - make sure the lid is sealed, food and medicine is in a locked cupboard, children do not bang the glass and cables are tucked well behind it. I'd suggest you buy a book - though Google can be useful too. enjoy :D

Great thanks x

ja-lula-belli
27-04-2014, 06:37 AM

Well I did it! Thus is our new fish tank going through filtration ready for out new fish.

ja-lula-belli
27-04-2014, 06:44 AM

And this x