PDA

View Full Version : Please dont think im stupid!!!

ja-lula-belli
17-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Now I'm going to throw it out there and please don't think I'm stupid. I am confused by this but it could just be me over thinking it?

Now at our local pond parks the council have put up new signs saying " please do not feed the birds"
We always and everybody goes there to feed the ducks!
I know that they have had problems with people feeding the gulls and pigeons.
And much to my husbands delight in telling me well ducks are birds I would of thought they would use the term ducks if they ment the ducks. ???
So my question is this are they saying don't feed the birds? The ducks and birds? And including the ducks as a bird?

See I think I'm over thinking?
It just seems rather daft not feeding the ducks when really that's all that is in one of the particular parks .
Hummmm yes anyone's thoughts much appreciated . X

tess1981
17-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Mmmmm good argument for each side lol solve this problem by asking the council :)

loocyloo
17-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I would read it that you can feed the ducks but not to scatter bread on the ground for the pigeons.

We were feeding ducks the other day and 2 crows were skimming across the water trying to pick up the bread from the water!

There is a river through the middle of a town near us and lots of signs saying please don't feed the ducks ... but no mention of the pigeons or little birds!

I would ask the council for clarificaton though.

FussyElmo
17-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Some councils are asking people not to feed the ducks not because they are being mean but because bread is not a good diet for them.

Mouse
17-04-2014, 07:39 AM
There are arguments about why you shouldn't feed ducks:

Bread isn't good for them. If they fill up on bread they don't eat the food that is naturally good for them
If they're used to human feeding they lose their ability to find their own food
Unbeaten bread can rot or attract vermin
Etc etc

Maybe it would have been more helpful if your LA had put up a sign saying WHY birds shouldn't be fed...and whether that includes the ducks.

QualityCare
17-04-2014, 07:48 AM
I would agree that it means not to feed the ducks as well, a small amount of bread is ok for them but as so many people feed them it can be harmful one of the biggest risks is making them overweight so that they are unable to fly away from predators, also it makes them poo more, uneaten bread attracts rats, a good source of food is wheat, oats, rice,bird seed, worms and mealworms. cut up grapes, peas, sweet corn chopped lettuce greens and vegetable peelings, as well as duck pellets.

HTSMumma
17-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Now I'm going to throw it out there and please don't think I'm stupid. I am confused by this but it could just be me over thinking it? Now at our local pond parks the council have put up new signs saying " please do not feed the birds" We always and everybody goes there to feed the ducks! I know that they have had problems with people feeding the gulls and pigeons. And much to my husbands delight in telling me well ducks are birds I would of thought they would use the term ducks if they ment the ducks. ??? So my question is this are they saying don't feed the birds? The ducks and birds? And including the ducks as a bird? See I think I'm over thinking? It just seems rather daft not feeding the ducks when really that's all that is in one of the particular parks . Hummmm yes anyone's thoughts much appreciated . X

Roath Park have signs all over it asking you not to feed the ducks bread as it is 'junk food' for them. They say that they sell bags of bird feed at the boating shed, however, pre-Easter, the boating she'd is never open! I would say that C.council are just trying to avoid tubby, unhealthy birds!

I would include ducks as part of the blanket 'birds' term!

:-)