PDA

View Full Version : visit from the tax man

mimo
24-07-2008, 02:07 PM
just wondering has anyone actually had a visit from the tax man or been questioned on their expenses. I have been childminding for 8 years and never been asked for my books .Has anyone else ??????

sarah707
24-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Don't want to tempt fate... but no!

Noodles
24-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Dont think they are interested in small fry like us as long as we dont put the new 42inch lcd and aston martin on our expenses :) :). They tend to go for the higher earners but then again my oh and my mum both work for HMRC and say they do have times when they look into certain trades and jobs e.g taxi drivers get looked at a lot.

mimo
24-07-2008, 02:22 PM
i remember years ago a lady came out to advise us on items we could claim for and she seemed to think they didnt bother with childminders unles you tried to claim back 75% as expenses.She advised claiming 50% then you would be fine .I think they may be in cahoots with ofsted and the estate agencies to give us more paper work to file to make us move to bigger houses to file it all:laughing:

Pauline
24-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Minder friend of mine did, about 15 years ago - went through every receipt and piece of paper!! :eek:

mimo
24-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Thats scarey gosh imagine the nightmere scienario ofsted an the tax man turning up on the same da:eek: :eek: :eek:
Mind you they might get on well and leave us alone :laughing:
I am going to have nightmeres now!!!

jaz
24-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Thats scarey gosh imagine the nightmere scienario ofsted an the tax man turning up on the same da:eek: :eek: :eek:

If you are trying to scare me, you have fully succeeded!!!!

J
x

miffy
24-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I do know minders who have been asked to produce their books/receipts so beware :laughing:

Miffy xx

Alibali
24-07-2008, 06:34 PM
"2 minder friends of mine have been inspected. 1st one was just a few questions cos she was claiming alot on fuel. 2nd one has a nightmare. They went through everything, hers and her husbands and asked her if thats all she earned how did she manage to buy X,Y and Z. It took months and she was really stressed. That was just last year!

polobear1970
24-07-2008, 06:37 PM

:panic: :panic: :panic: No, please i wont sleep tonight

donnahay0
24-07-2008, 09:53 PM
We were told by lady who did a tax evening for all the local childminders that they did a randon check on several childminders each year - a bit like a lucky dip - or perhaps she meant unlucky dip.

I hope I don't get one and I do worry about it (see guilt again) as I know my book-keeping isn't the best thing I do.

Chimps Childminding
25-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I have got this horrible feeling they might check mine this year! :eek: Had a letter last week reminding me to fill in my return and file it, the letter also went on to say about making sure the figures were accurate as people sometimes undervalue their business, and a reminder that they can ask to check your accounts and that penalties and back tax may be due if found to be owing!!!!!!!!!!!!! agh!!!!!!!!! :panic: Hubby says its just a standard letter, hope he is right - got myself convinced they are after me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will let you know if I hear anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackie_5
29-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I too received the same letter dated 15th july, when I had returned my tax return on 26th june. When I rang I was told they only had upto the 6th june received on their computer, so they obviously sent out letters on those not received, I had a similar letter saying my tax credit form was not received when they were posted the same day.

Bushpig
29-07-2008, 09:38 AM
This year I will be claiming for a lot as I have set up from scratch, I have no kids, so it was literally from scratch! :eek:

I hope they won't find this suspicious?? :(

Rubybubbles
29-07-2008, 09:50 AM
This year I will be claiming for a lot as I have set up from scratch, I have no kids, so it was literally from scratch! :eek:

I hope they won't find this suspicious?? :(

no not at all! you can't help having huge expense setting up and no money coming in. I remember my first year of minding I was at a loss of income as spent more than I had earned:(

I still buy far to much and really need to stop:o

Bushpig
29-07-2008, 12:39 PM
no not at all! you can't help having huge expense setting up and no money coming in. I remember my first year of minding I was at a loss of income as spent more than I had earned:(

I still buy far to much and really need to stop:o

I know what you mean... I am always on the look out for extra *stuff* and really, I do have enough, and it's new, so no need to upgrade or anything. I have fortunately earned from the month after I was registered, so should have made more than I have spent (I hope!!!lol) :o