PDA

View Full Version : Can we only use play sand?

tigwig
15-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Just bought a HUGE wooden sandpit and it is obviously going to take a lot of sand! OH says kiln dried sand is just like play sand only considerably cheaper. I have googled it and b&q say it is non hazardous. Im still not sure though. Any thoughts?

greanan
15-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Just bought a HUGE wooden sandpit and it is obviously going to take a lot of sand! OH says kiln dried sand is just like play sand only considerably cheaper. I have googled it and b&q say it is non hazardous. Im still not sure though. Any thoughts?

I'll be watching this thread. I've the elc sandpit so not huge but I go through soo much sand!!! A new bag goes in it every week or two

Dragonfly
16-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Cant see why not at all. I would as long as it doesn't stain clothes.

Mouse
16-04-2014, 07:56 AM
I think kiln dried sand is very fine, so great for pouring, but doesn't stick together so well for sand castles and building. It can also stain.

What about a mixture of the two?

bunyip
16-04-2014, 08:23 AM
OMG, now they're telling me non-play sand is dangerous. :eek:

Exactly how lethal is it? :huh:

My mindee got back from Egypt at the weekend: how long do I have to exclude...................?

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

AdeleMarie88
16-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Tesco do cheap sand, or large asdas x

yummyripples
16-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Have a trip to the beach and nick a load

tigwig
16-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Ive compromised! Got 6 bags of kiln sand and 5 of play sand. Bunyip my oh said same about sand on beach, its usually full of butt ends when my kids dig in it! Im guessing ofsted won't be inspecting my sand that closely to tell.... hopefully!
Hoping it will stay dry too so no sandcastles (I know im mean). Its gunna be full of diggers and dinosaurs instead :)

wee_elf
16-04-2014, 08:51 PM
I have ordered a 1 ton bag of play sand from a builders merchant before! May be worth checking out, as even with delivery it was a lot cheaper than little bags and I was able to fill a huge sand pit :)

tess1981
16-04-2014, 09:11 PM
My wonderful bf has told me he would make me a sand pit... just thinking the same about sand. It's £2.50 for a small bag in tesco. Maybe I could use it as a pretend sand pit lol

FloraDora
16-04-2014, 09:24 PM
I always used kiln dried in school as we changed it so often....small school costs an issue..

I had a Government Health and safety inspection ( randomly chosen - LA were being inspected) and was asked about sand, explained non hazardous and had a declaration from company evidencing this e.g.:

http://www.tarmacbuildingproducts.co.uk/pdf/SDS%2010.02%20Sands%20V1%20April%202013.pdf

Not a problem.....

The scrutiny of my coshh file however.......

coshh for the washing up liquid in the staffroom ?????? Always had Fairy following this inspection as it is the only one that provides coshh information!

H&S were not bothered about lack of the kiln sand's ability to become a castle though.......

tess1981
16-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I always used kiln dried in school as we changed it so often....small school costs an issue..

I had a Government Health and safety inspection ( randomly chosen - LA were being inspected) and was asked about sand, explained non hazardous and had a declaration from company evidencing this e.g.:

http://www.tarmacbuildingproducts.co.uk/pdf/SDS%2010.02%20Sands%20V1%20April%202013.pdf

Not a problem.....

The scrutiny of my coshh file however.......

coshh for the washing up liquid in the staffroom ?????? Always had Fairy following this inspection as it is the only one that provides coshh information!

H&S were not bothered about lack of the kiln sand's ability to become a castle though.......

Fairy liquid... are they freaking kidding

Mouse
17-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Ive compromised! Got 6 bags of kiln sand and 5 of play sand. Bunyip my oh said same about sand on beach, its usually full of butt ends when my kids dig in it! Im guessing ofsted won't be inspecting my sand that closely to tell.... hopefully!
Hoping it will stay dry too so no sandcastles (I know im mean). Its gunna be full of diggers and dinosaurs instead :)

No sandcastles??? :crying::crying:

I cannot play in sand and not build sandcastles. I even have a box of shells, flags, stones and feathers to decorate my masterpieces...

...I mean the children...the children can't play in sand and not build sandcastles. The children have a box of shells, flags, stones and feathers to decorate their (somewhat inferior) creations...

:ROFL1::ROFL1:

Mouse
17-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Wouldn't the world be a better place if that was their main concern? :D

ja-lula-belli
17-04-2014, 09:09 AM
...I mean the children...the children can't play in sand and not build sandcastles. The children have a box of shells, flags, stones and feathers to decorate their (somewhat inferior) creations... :ROFL1::ROFL1:[/QUOTE]

Lol x

tess1981
17-04-2014, 09:43 AM
No sandcastles??? :crying::crying:

I cannot play in sand and not build sandcastles. I even have a box of shells, flags, stones and feathers to decorate my masterpieces...

...I mean the children...the children can't play in sand and not build sandcastles. The children have a box of shells, flags, stones and feathers to decorate their (somewhat inferior) creations...

:ROFL1::ROFL1:

It's like the children's art creations all over again lol

Mouse
17-04-2014, 10:00 AM
It's like the children's art creations all over again lol

Or when you set up the dolls house perfectly and they come and move all the bits

Or when you build a perfect brick tower and they knock it down

Or when I build the best sandcastle ever and they squash it flat :eek:

Sometimes I really do think I'd have so much more fun if the children didn't ruin my games :o:laughing:

AdeleMarie88
17-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Or when you set up the dolls house perfectly and they come and move all the bits Or when you build a perfect brick tower and they knock it down Or when I build the best sandcastle ever and they squash it flat :eek: Sometimes I really do think I'd have so much more fun if the children didn't ruin my games :o:laughing:

This is me completely, I set up the animal duplo perfectly at 7.45am, only for my barn to be destroyed by 8.05 :(

tess1981
17-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Or when we are making beautiful buns to send home and the children "Decorate" them.... I would not eat them after that lol

little chickee
17-04-2014, 12:07 PM
I use fine builders sand. Good for sandcastles if made damp.

mrs robbie williams
17-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I was told builders sand had glass in?x

tigwig
17-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Lol to the further answers! This morning we finally filled the sandpit and to our surprise the kiln dried sand from b&q was better looking in appearance and texture than the toys r us play sand!(the latter had more black bits in it) So it has all just been mixed together and I can honestly say I cannot possibly see any massive difference. Me thinks the 'play' sand is clearly a marketing ploy!

jackie 7
17-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Please can someone send helf and safety to the beach. Close them down they are dangerous. Oh yes I played with them for years with lots of children and they ate all ok.

karen2010
18-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Mouse that is hilarious !!!! Xxxxx